• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Kyuuei's Cook book!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
1019102023-00.jpg

Sweet Chili Franks Red hot sauce and spicy garlic sauce covered most of them. <3 some fresh cut up cold cucumbers and celery on the side, and a seseme toasted salad.

rav3n

0903101835-00.jpg

Cooked stir-fry tonight. :3 I like to use Fajita meat for stir-fry instead of raw unseasoned chicken. I think it comes out better and without a lot of extra sauces and spices.
If you're interested in maximising flavours while stir-frying, here are a few tips. One specific tip is that when you stir-fry, you don't want all that residual liquid since the flavour should be instilled in the foods themselves. Mushrooms are bad for bleeding moisture. Also, if you're doing multiple veggies like what you've done, there's an order to when to do them, including when you add the meat which should be after the meat has been cooked separately. When you're stir-frying, no matter what the recipe says, don't cover after adding liquids. Covering only mooshifies the veggies.

Anyways, anal retentive Asian woman who enjoys cooking. Disregard if you're already really happy with the end product.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ Yeah, the excess fluid came from the vegetables being frozen before cooking. As they thaw, it feels like no matter what I do, they end up a bit mushy and wilted. The down side to frozen over fresh. I took that picture about halfway through cooking it, I usually drain off some excess juice and use it while cooking the rice, but I definitely need some hardcore work on my stir-frying techniques. It's one of the cooking styles I'm just not comfortable in, and I really want to be, since a lot of asian foods I love are stir-fried.. Including this simple dish right here that I just can't get down:

IMG_2351smtshpnwtmkd_3+copy.jpg

rav3n

To be frank, I wouldn't use too many mixed or frozen vegetables. The essence of stir-frying is very minimal spices and maximised natural flavours through fresh ingredients. But then, part of this is my personal preference of not liking too many strong vegetable flavours mixed together, especially peppers which tend to overwhelm many other veggie flavours.

As far as the newest picture, how are you making it? Are you cooking the noodles separately? As well, when making shrimp of any kind, make sure the pan temperature and cooking oil is heated thoroughly, don't keep pushing them around, turn only once, then take them off the heat when they're close to but not quite cooked. They'll cook while sitting since they retain heat after removing.

In that pic, I see the ingredients of vermicelli or egg noodles, shitake and brown (almost raw) mushrooms, green onions, shrimp and what might be shredded cabbage or something similar. It also looks like they used light soy sauce. Beyond that, I can't tell what other flavourings they used.

Here's how I would do it:

Ditch brown mushrooms.

Clean and slice shitake mushrooms, marinating in light soy and if you're not averse, a touch of msg and some corn starch, for around an 1/2 to an hour.

Mince some ginger, garlic and green onions and marinate shrimp with these, as well as some corn starch and msg (optional).

Boil the noodles, drain while running under cool water so they don't overcook. Try to drain as much as possible, otherwise you're going to get too much moisture.

High heat. Heat wok with a veggie oil and fry shitake mushrooms and at the last minute, remove from wok.

High heat again. Using same wok, add more veggie oil and fry cabbage (although you can also ditch the cabbage too), then remove from heat.

Clean wok, high heat with more veggie oil, add shrimp when wok and oil are thoroughly heated. Only turn shrimp once and prior to turning, throw in the chunks of green onion to get them fragrant but not cooked. Stop cooking when the shrimp are not quite done, since they'll retain heat and continue cooking when removed from heat. Overcooked shrimp are nasty, since they get rubberised.

After shrimp are removed, using same wok without cleaning, heat more veggie oil and then add in the noodles, a couple shots of light soy, one shot of dark soy and any other spices of flavouring, like chili or sesame oil, or whatever your preferred poison. Add back the balance of the pre-cooked ingredients and mix well in pan but don't overcook. Remove from heat.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ I wish that picture above is mine :3 alas its just something I pulled for a demonstration.

The advice you gave here is entirely new to me.. I guess that's my parents' cooking habits coming out in me, to put everything in one dish. I'll definitely give this a try soon and let you know the results.

I do have another question as far as the noodles. How long until you think noodles are done? If they're sticking, did I zap too much moisture from them and cooked them too long, or did I just not add enough oil to cooking them? I do frequently pan-fry just noodles for a quick snack, and I tend to use just a bit of oil and some soy and fish sauces, but I feel like after not-so-long they've become a bit sticky and almost gummy texture. They taste fine, so I don't much bother with it, but I was wondering which element is the one I'm messing up on.. time, or oil amount.

rav3n

If noodles are sticking, it might be that they're originally overboiled (hence too soft), there's not enough oil or you're overcooking them in the wok. By the time you reach the point where you're putting the noodles into the wok, this is when it's okay to lower the temperature to med-high after you add noodles and other ingredients. You're really only quickly mixing everything together and reheating the noodles a bit.

I wish you the best in making this. It might sound labour intensive but after doing it a few times, it won't be a big deal. I'd personally ditch the cabbage so you don't have to wash out the wok or pan, before cooking the shrimp. Shitakes don't bleed much moisture and the shrimp will absorb the shitake flavour from the pan and additional oil.

Which reminds me. I'm assuming you'll be using fresh shitakes but if you're using the dried ones, make sure you squeeze out some of the water after reconstituting. I actually prefer the dried ones due to the concentration of flavour from drying.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Fig preserve pictures.

1. Pick the figs from the tree in the back yard and wash them off.

1021101719-00.jpg

2. Cut them in fourths

1021101723-00.jpg

3. Take a side ways picture of them going on the stove top with a cup of sugar and 3 Tbsp of molasses. Or however you spell that. "Country" syrup.

1021101726-00.jpg

4. Boil it until everything melds and, most importantly, the fig skin is tender enough that a fork can press through it.

1021101749-00.jpg

It's badass tasting, sweet, and perfect on everything. My favorite: Bacon egg sandwiches with fig preserves instead of mayo.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I want to try my hand at some new things..

Pumpkin Dango

1 cup mochiko (glutinous rice flour)3 Tbsp joshinko (non-glutinous rice flour)3 Tbsp white sugar
1/2 cup warm water
orange food coloring (optional)
1 recipe Pumpkin An (filling), recipe follows6, 4 inch bamboo skewers
Pumpkin An
1 cup pumpkin puree, plain
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp white sugar

Pumpkin Dango Details
Make the pumpkin an by placing the pumpkin puree in a piece of unbleached muslin cloth. Gather the ends of the muslin together and twist the fabric closed. Twist the cloth tightly over a clean bowl to drain the excess moisture from the pumpkin. Save the extra liquid and set aside. The pumpkin is strained enough when it can be rolled into a ball.

Place the strained puree in a small sauce pan and add the rest of the an ingredients. Cook over medium heat, adding the reserved pumpkin juice as needed to safely cook the puree without scorching it. The an is done when it becomes sticky and can be rolled into a ball. Cool the an in the refrigerator or freezer until it’s firm.

While the an is cooling, whisk the mochiko, joshinko and sugar together in a small bowl.

Add the food coloring to the water and slowly add the water a bit at a time to the flour mix. Mix with a fork at first but use your hands to knead the water the rest of the way into the dough. A fork won’t mix the ingredients together as well as your hands, and a fork will give no indication as to the true feel of the dough. Add more water until the mixture is as soft as an earlobe. Do not add too much water! Set aside.

Roll the cooled an into 18, 1/2 inch balls. Set aside.

Roll the mochi dough into 18, scant 1 inch balls. Set aside.

To make the dango, flatten a ball of mochi dough in a lightly damp palm and place a ball of pumpkin an in the center of the dough. Gather the edges of the mochi circle and pinch closed. Add a small dab of water if needed to seal the ball. Roll into a ball and set aside. Repeat.

After all the dango is rolled, skewer 3 balls onto a skewer and set it in a steamer basket. Repeat. Steam the dango on high for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.

Makes 6 Skewers

Difficulty: Moderate | Time: 1 hour| Ingredient Availability: Moderate

After rolling the filled balls into rounds, mold them into pumpkin shapes and use the middle of a skewer to lightly press ridges into the shape. Don’t press too hard, however. Adhere a green mochi-dough stem with a dab of water to the pumpkins and steam 10 minutes.

Melon Pan (makes 8)

Biscuit coating:

150 grams joushinko (cake flour)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
50 grams sugar (Japanese sugar is very moist, light, and fine compared to the U.S.)
30 grams butter
1/2 egg
20 cc water
melon essence
granulated sugar

Bread:

200 grams hakurikiko (bread flour)
2 tsp. dry yeast
3 T. sugar
30 grams butter
dash salt
1/2 egg
100 cc milk

1. For the biscuit coating: Mix butter and sugar in a bowl with a wooden spoon and whisk until the mixture starts to turn white. Add egg, water, and melon essence in small quantities. Mix in the flour and baking powder, wrap the dough in plastic, and refrigerate.

2. For the bread portion: Place everything except butter in a bowl and knead until everything is thoroughly mixed. Add butter and knead, and form a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic, and allow it to rise until it grows to twice its size (about 1 hour). Press the dough lightly to release gas, and separate into 8 equal portions. Place a dampened towel over them and set aside for 15-20 minutes.

3. Remove the biscuit coating from the refrigerator and knead until smooth. Separate into 8 equal portions, and flatten/roll them out. Form "melons" with the bread dough, and wrap them with the biscuit coating. Sprinkle sugar on top.

4. Place these dough balls on a lightly greased oven plate/cookie sheet, and set aside for approximately 30 minutes.

5. Using a knife or skewers, draw lines on the "melons". Bake them in a 180-degree Celsius oven for 12 minutes.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Kyuu,

I'm gonna give you my address and you're gonna cook for me on the regular, K?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What (did you/are you going to) do for the sugar? Can you buy japanese sugar?

wolfy

awsm
The sugars here are the same as in New Zealand. We use granulated and caster sugar. Caster sugar is more refined and is used in baked goods. It dissolves better.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Kyuu,

I'm gonna give you my address and you're gonna cook for me on the regular, K?

:laugh: You give me ingredients, I'll give you food.

What (did you/are you going to) do for the sugar? Can you buy japanese sugar?

:3 I was going to answer this but Wolfy did it for me. And we have a Viet market around here, Viet's are more populous in Houston than Japanese, but even so I think they may have some of the stuff I am lacking.

The sugars here are the same as in New Zealand. We use granulated and caster sugar. Caster sugar is more refined and is used in baked goods. It dissolves better.

Caster sugar.. I'll remember that for sure. But!! Could you tell me the difference between Joshinko and something labeled "rice flour" ? Is there a difference? Is Joshinko not glutinous? Is it glutinous? I need to know these things! @_@ For something that seems to be such a staple in wagashi, theres such little information about it online...

wolfy

awsm
Caster sugar.. I'll remember that for sure. But!! Could you tell me the difference between Joshinko and something labeled "rice flour" ? Is there a difference? Is Joshinko not glutinous? Is it glutinous? I need to know these things! @_@ For something that seems to be such a staple in wagashi, theres such little information about it online...

Shinko is rice flour. Jo is a prefix for top, as in top grade. Joshinko is top grade rice flour. It is finer than shinko and used in wagashi. I've never made wagashi, I'll ask around whether you can get away with shinko.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I see.. ^_^ Thank you so much for your assistance. If I can get away with shinko, that'd be best I think.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
First up: An AWESOME Chutney recipe:

Pineapple Preserves - 8oz
Apricot Preserves - 8oz
Creamy Horseradish - 4oz
Dry Mustard - 1 small tin

:3 mix!

Next, a medley blend of cold-serve veggies:

Package of sliced carrots
Small sliced pieces of the an onion and a green pepper
Tomato soup - 1 condensed can
Vinegar - .75 cups
Sugar - .67 cups (eyeball it :3)
Salt - .5 tsp
Worchestershire sauce - 1 tsp
Mustard - 1 tsp
Cooking oil - .5 cups

Microwave or steam carrots until tender. Mix all veggies together, and all other ingredients separately. Mix all together, cover, and refridgerate for several hours before serving cold on lettuce leaves and slices of meat. :3

Breakfast Pocket

1 Pack of cresent rolls
Sliced meat - Ham or bacon
Cheese of your choosing
Hard boiled eggs OR scrambled eggs
Milk & seeds (optional)

Press cresent roll edges together to make rectangles. Layer the cheese, meat, and egg in one corner and fold or roll and press closed. If using seeds, brush the tops with a bit of milk and sprinkle seeds on top. Back on 350 degrees F for 20 minutes, let cool for 1 minute, serve warm.

Open Faced Ruebens

Use some party rye bread to create small layered half-sandwiches of corned beef, swiss cheese, and kraut and bake for 10 min at 400 degrees F.

I'm going to make the chutney recipe for thanksgiving for sure. Just wanted to add my new ren fest steals to the list.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I have a question on the breakfast pocket, if using bacon, do I need to par fry it first?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Prpl ^ Most def. Sorry I was vague, I had to pull these recipes from memory so I was speed typing them. :3 You're basically creating a pastry to-go with all the typical american breakfast items inside. These recipes are all from the Ren Faire this year. The chutney is the best one imo.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I suspected so, but wanted to make sure. most recipes that use bacon have you fry them at least a little first.I'm thinkng of making some and putting them in the freezer so if I want a breakfast pocket I just pull it out of the freezer put it in the toaster oven for a few minutes til its heated through. It be a nice option to have instead of my every day smoothie and bagel.I'll probably make half with bacon and half with sausage.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ Thats a great idea! :laugh: I haven't tested the recipe for the items frozen, but I'm sure all it'll require is a bit longer time in the oven to heat it up well enough. :yes: Glad someone's getting use out of my cookbook besides me.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Hm. So in playing with the chutney ingredients, I think I found a happy medium and changed it up a bit. I suspect the quality and type of horseradish, type of dry mustard (1 small tin is too vague) and the quality of the preserves all play a crucial role in the taste.

As for myself, I used store-bought items that weren't expensive to try it out. Following the recipe created a FANTASTICALLY spicy VERY horseradish kick with a hint of sweetness. Unfortunately :laugh: I'm the only one that ended up liking it.. it was too much for everyone else.

So I changed it up and created this:

4 oz Horseradish
16 oz Each of Apricot preserves and Pineapple preserves
a little less than 1/2 but a little more than 1/3 of a spice canister of dried mustard.

Doing this diluted the horseradish so the taste is a soft, subtle afterthought to the sweet preserves. The dry mustard acts as an emulsing agent, so it really doesn't have a prominent way of taste in the chutney.

Two different flavors entirely, but I think this one I created myself is a bit more people-friendly.. so more people can enjoy it. :3