User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    - Two baking sheets lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray
    Cooking spray? Thats olive oil spray? We dont have that here in the UK. Ill just apply olive oil with a brush.

You americans and your fancy spray oil/cheese/godknowswhatelse!
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Eruca View Post
    Cooking spray? Thats olive oil spray? We dont have that here in the UK. Ill just apply olive oil with a brush.

You americans and your fancy spray oil/cheese/godknowswhatelse!

They had it at a Tesco when I was there!
    Go to a bigger store, lazybum. *kick*

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Produ.../?id=274089279
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Yeah, its really universal now-a-days I think, I couldn't find it in Uganda but I wasn't really cooking there much so it wasn't a big deal. Olive oil applied thin with a brush would be much more cost effective than a spray.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    They had it at a Tesco when I was there!
    Go to a bigger store, lazybum. *kick*
    Moments before I read your msg I found it on the online tesco store. Found in some other larger chains too.

*Edit* Im such a cooking noob.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Instant Oatmeal homemade

At the store they're usually around 50 cents a piece for total garbage.. sugar, powdered shit, and some flecks that are suppose to be fruit. Here's oatmeal that has custom flavors and more nutrition for less than the price of a McDonald's bowl.

- One large can of quick oats
    - 1 package of hibiscus tea bags
    - 1 package of orange tea bags (I use chocolate orange green tea)
    - 2 dove candy bars or the individually wrapped squares, whichever is cheaper at the time (you can replace this for cocoa nibs, but they aren't as sweet and don't melt really. They have a nuttier flavor. You can just add the nibs in anyways though.)
    - 2 packages of tropical mix dried fruit pieces
    - 2 packages of dried strawberries and blueberries
    - Some brown sugar

A large tin of quick oats serves 30, so make 30 bags of 1/2 cup of quick oats.
    Drop a tea bag into each baggie. (If you wanted to stretch the tea, one bag will easily make 2 strong cups worth.. you could keep the tea out separate, drop a baggie into a little more than 2 cups and refrigerate the other half for tomorrow.. but this recipe is for a grab-it-and-go sort of breakfast.) Put hibiscus tea in the tropical oat baggies, and orange tea in the chocolate berry baggies.
    Pour the servings of dried fruit into each baggie until they all have fruit. I used the tropical mix (banana chips, papaya, pineapple, coconut flakes at walmart for $1.80 a package with 9 servings per pack) and just dried strawberries and blueberries for the other one.
    Drop a chocolate piece into each strawberry baggie. Put a teaspoon of brown sugar into the tropical mix baggies.
    Seal them all up.

Directions for use:
    - Pull the tea bag out of a baggie and drop it in the water (a bit more than a cup) you set to boil.
    - Dump the ziplock bag into a bowl.
    - Put 1 cup of boiling tea water into the bowl and stir. Let sit for a minute to give the oats time to absorb the tea and melt the chocolate if using chocolate, and then stir again.
    *Bonus: If you want hot tea with breakfast, you can just put in a bit more water to boil.

Better flavors and more fruit for just as little money.
    - Big tin of oats: $2.50
    - Tropical fruit mix: $3.60 for two packages
    - Dove candy bars: I find them on sale 2/$1 all the time.. so. $1
    - Dried strawberries and blueberries: $6 a piece, so around $12 for all the servings.
    - Brown sugar: $2 for a huge container that you won't even use a fraction of.. so if you cannot borrow it, I included the price anyways.
    - Teas: $3 each, so $6. You can get cheaper with this for sure.

Total: $.90 a serving but this is including all the ingredients at full price. Considering tea is easily found cheaper than that, brown sugar is going to last for a ton more of these, and you can always find dried fruit in other varieties for cheaper if you wish, this price will easily knock down to around what you would pay for store-bought instant oatmeal. But this is still way cheaper than McDonald's fruit and oats, can be made at work with just a mug and some hot water, or be left in your car for those inevitable days you forgot to grab something to eat since nearly any coffee place or fast food restaurant will give you hot water in a cup for nothing.

A super cheap, tasty alternative:
    - Oats
    - Peanut butter (added in the bowl each time, not put in the baggie.. it keeps better this way.)
    - Cocoa powder
    - Brown sugar
    - Raisins or dried cranberries
    - Any cheap flavored tea

Cocoa powder is cheap and lasts forever, same with brown sugar, and peanut butter! Raisins are the cheapest dried fruit out there too. 30 servings of this would easily run you about 50 cents a serving for the first batch and $.20 for a batch after that for better ingredients and flavor than store bought.

I have a ton of flavor combinations for this as well since I eat oats nearly daily.
    - Mint tea, mini chocolate chips, and cocoa nibs
    - Chamomile tea and edible flowers
    - Cranberry lemon
    - Classic syrup and brown sugar (Probably the cheapest option out there)
    - Cocoa nibs and goji berries with hot chocolate mix (Don't knock it until you try it!)
    etc. etc. Tropical fruit and strawberry chocolate just happen to be my favorite ones right now so they're the highlights. They're also the most expensive, though, so it's all down hill from there.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

A couple awesome recipes to share:
    http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-stra...-kitchn-189016

Going to try this one out tomorrow! I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

Already tried these two and they are tried and true favorites lately as far as pasta dishes go:

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-velv...i-and-fe-46428 -- Broccoli is the star of the show here, this is one of the healthiest pasta dishes I've ever cooked and it tasted absolutely amazing. I put hot sauce and condiments on everything, and this recipe needed NOTHING else. The ONLY change I made is that I added more water and a bit more olive oil to the broccoli because I lack an immersion blender and I put it all in the regular blender and thus needed liquid to chop it all up.

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-pest...h-lemon-145783 -- Lemony pesto pasta. I changed this one up significantly, but edamame is probably a great addition to it for some subtle crunch.

Changes:
    I didn't even add edamame or almonds as I didn't have any on hand..
    I sauteed some frozen onion
    I made the pesto myself (random online recipe) in a blender, adding just a bit too much water (for blender purposes) and throwing it in the saute pan after I turned the heat off just to evaporate some of the water from the pesto.
    I put way way more lemon than the recipe originally demanded as I love lemon.

It still came out amazing! Both of those pasta dishes the kids ate (and they are picky 2 year old monsters) but the definitely preferred the broccoli dish. I'm going to try the broccoli dish out with cauliflower and see how it turns out tomorrow. I predict they'll be similar.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

So I need to re-vamp my diet for the next month to work around all the work I'm doing.

My plan for next week:
    - Cereal or oats, tea, and some baby carrots or celery with orange juice for breakfast
    - Ploughman's lunch with a salad. Bread, cheese, meat, and a spread with a salad underneath.
    - Smoothie for a snack after school to get some more sugar in my system
    - Pasta or pre-made dinners frozen

Made a quiche for later on in the week, and some turkey enchiladas are now frozen.. so with the bbq turkey burgers and turkey salad we've made that's four dinners done for the week. I'll cook up some more of that broccoli dish one night, we always go eat at a friend's house one night, so the week is set. Just have to pick up some pasta fixings, Pretty easy!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

So. I'm experimenting with these salad-in-a-jar things I saw online. So far I am loving the concept way too much.

For the jars themselves you just need large mason jars (and the wide-mouth ones are probably best. I don't have those, but meh) and some reusable mason jar lids.

The key to these is to layer things so that nothing gets squishy. My first round:

- Dressing (I put Caesar, Balsamic vinaigrette, and olive-oil-and-vinegar in the bottoms since I needed to use those up.)
    - Veggies that chop well and marinade well (I put carrots, tomato, onion, and a layer of cucumber) until they pile over the dressing
    - Greens (Spring herb mix and raw coleslaw/shredded cabbage for me)
    - Toppings and additives (I put a square of queso fresco, some cooked and chopped turkey meat, a slice of lime, and chopped cilantro on top)

Seal it up and it should stay long enough to eat them up if you are trying to eat a salad a day. I'm still experimenting to see how long they hold up for, but so far it's been a really awesome way to buy groceries, assemble salads all at once, and then Bam! Instant-ish salad. If they hold up for 5 days I'll be a very happy camper.

An alternative thing I made this morning and ate this evening:
    - Shredded cabbage, radishes, and carrots in the whole thing
    - Chopped cilantro
    - A dressing poured over it to marinade (Juice of a lime or lemon, equal it with olive oil, and add some sugar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder)
    Throw the stuff on top, shake up the jar, let it sit in the fridge all day, and top sandwiches/burgers with it instead of traditional lettuce/tomato.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Not-fried cheeseburger wontons

- Premade wonton wrappers
    - 1 1/2 pounds of very lean ground beef
    - 1 packet of hamburger seasoning
    - 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
    - 1/2 yellow onion diced fine
    - 1/4 cup water
    - 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    - 1 minced garlic clove
    - 1 container garlic and herb light laughing cow cheese
    - 1/8 cup yellow mustard
    - 1/4 dill relish
    - 1 cup shredded cheese
    - Ketchup

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a cupcake/muffin pan with nonstick spray. Press a wonton wrapper into each cup to make it the shape of the muffin. Add the meat mixture, shredded cheese, and then top with another wonton wrapper, pinching the sides closed a little. Bake for 15 minutes ish.

Brown the meat, drain it, and then add ACV, seasonings, water, onion, garlic, worcestershire sauce and simmer until flavors are well incorporated. Then drain any excess and either toss the cheese in until it melts completely or put the beef mixture with the cheese into a microwave bowl and microwave for a few minutes until it melts into the meat. Add the mustard and dill relish and mix everything really well and fill the 'cups' with the mixture.

Dip wontons in ketchup.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

A couple things to try in the near future:

Ice cream bread:

"2 Cups Ice Cream, any flavor, softened
    1 1/2 cups Self-Rising Flour

Preheat your oven to 350 fahrenheit. Spray and flour a 8 x 4 loaf pan, or line it with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl mix the ice cream and flour together until just combined.

Scoop into the loaf and smooth out.

Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in the loaf comes out with a few crumbs stuck to it.

Remove from the pan and allow to cool.

For best results..use full fat ice-cream!

The picture is an example of butter-pecan ice cream - I like the nuts being distributed in the bread mixture, however you can use any ice cream flavor you prefer. Always a fun experiment, and you can’t get simpler than this.

For those that are scratching their heads wondering how this could work - let’s consider that most ice cream is made of eggs and fat/dairy. Toss in some self-rising flour and you have some basic ingredients for a bake-capable product. Just choose the flavoring of ice cream that seems promising and have a fun weekend of experimentation.

Heck - even my wife could successfully make bread using this recipe. (Look behind shoulder warily - did I just say that publicly?)

Oh, one more thing - others asked about the self-rising flour (or if they didn’t have it, could they simply use regular flour).

You must - MUST have a rising agent in the flour. Self-rising flour is an easy solution (and commonly available). However, if you don’t have self-rising flour accessible, you can make it very simply:
    For every cup of flour add 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt (sift together).

There you go, now you have self-rising flour."

Pasta.. thing.

"12 ounces pasta (I used Linguine)
    1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with liquid ( I used zesty red pepper flavor)
    1 large sweet onion, cut in julienne strips
    4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
    2 large sprigs basil, chopped
    4 1/2 cups vegetable broth (regular broth and NOT low sodium)
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    Parmesan cheese for garnish

Directions

Place pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, in a large stock pot. Pour in vegetable broth. Sprinkle on top the pepper flakes and oregano. Drizzle top with oil.

Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and keep covered and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. Cook until almost all liquid has evaporated – I left about an inch of liquid in the bottom of the pot – but you can reduce as desired .

Season to taste with salt and pepper , stirring pasta several times to distribute the liquid in the bottom of the pot. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese. "