User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

The sugars here are the same as in New Zealand. We use granulated and caster sugar. Caster sugar is more refined and is used in baked goods. It dissolves better.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Kyuu,

I'm gonna give you my address and you're gonna cook for me on the regular, K?
    You give me ingredients, I'll give you food.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    What (did you/are you going to) do for the sugar? Can you buy japanese sugar?
    :3 I was going to answer this but Wolfy did it for me. And we have a Viet market around here, Viet's are more populous in Houston than Japanese, but even so I think they may have some of the stuff I am lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    The sugars here are the same as in New Zealand. We use granulated and caster sugar. Caster sugar is more refined and is used in baked goods. It dissolves better.
    Caster sugar.. I'll remember that for sure. But!! Could you tell me the difference between Joshinko and something labeled "rice flour" ? Is there a difference? Is Joshinko not glutinous? Is it glutinous? I need to know these things! @_@ For something that seems to be such a staple in wagashi, theres such little information about it online...
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Caster sugar.. I'll remember that for sure. But!! Could you tell me the difference between Joshinko and something labeled "rice flour" ? Is there a difference? Is Joshinko not glutinous? Is it glutinous? I need to know these things! @_@ For something that seems to be such a staple in wagashi, theres such little information about it online...
    Shinko is rice flour. Jo is a prefix for top, as in top grade. Joshinko is top grade rice flour. It is finer than shinko and used in wagashi. I've never made wagashi, I'll ask around whether you can get away with shinko.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I see.. ^_^ Thank you so much for your assistance. If I can get away with shinko, that'd be best I think.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

First up: An AWESOME Chutney recipe:

Pineapple Preserves - 8oz
    Apricot Preserves - 8oz
    Creamy Horseradish - 4oz
    Dry Mustard - 1 small tin

:3 mix!

Next, a medley blend of cold-serve veggies:

Package of sliced carrots
    Small sliced pieces of the an onion and a green pepper
    Tomato soup - 1 condensed can
    Vinegar - .75 cups
    Sugar - .67 cups (eyeball it :3)
    Salt - .5 tsp
    Worchestershire sauce - 1 tsp
    Mustard - 1 tsp
    Cooking oil - .5 cups

Microwave or steam carrots until tender. Mix all veggies together, and all other ingredients separately. Mix all together, cover, and refridgerate for several hours before serving cold on lettuce leaves and slices of meat. :3

Breakfast Pocket

1 Pack of cresent rolls
    Sliced meat - Ham or bacon
    Cheese of your choosing
    Hard boiled eggs OR scrambled eggs
    Milk & seeds (optional)

Press cresent roll edges together to make rectangles. Layer the cheese, meat, and egg in one corner and fold or roll and press closed. If using seeds, brush the tops with a bit of milk and sprinkle seeds on top. Back on 350 degrees F for 20 minutes, let cool for 1 minute, serve warm.

Open Faced Ruebens

Use some party rye bread to create small layered half-sandwiches of corned beef, swiss cheese, and kraut and bake for 10 min at 400 degrees F.

I'm going to make the chutney recipe for thanksgiving for sure. Just wanted to add my new ren fest steals to the list.

MBTI
    yupp

I have a question on the breakfast pocket, if using bacon, do I need to par fry it first?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Prpl ^ Most def. Sorry I was vague, I had to pull these recipes from memory so I was speed typing them. :3 You're basically creating a pastry to-go with all the typical american breakfast items inside. These recipes are all from the Ren Faire this year. The chutney is the best one imo.

MBTI
    yupp

I suspected so, but wanted to make sure. most recipes that use bacon have you fry them at least a little first.I'm thinkng of making some and putting them in the freezer so if I want a breakfast pocket I just pull it out of the freezer put it in the toaster oven for a few minutes til its heated through. It be a nice option to have instead of my every day smoothie and bagel.I'll probably make half with bacon and half with sausage.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ Thats a great idea! I haven't tested the recipe for the items frozen, but I'm sure all it'll require is a bit longer time in the oven to heat it up well enough. Glad someone's getting use out of my cookbook besides me.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Hm. So in playing with the chutney ingredients, I think I found a happy medium and changed it up a bit. I suspect the quality and type of horseradish, type of dry mustard (1 small tin is too vague) and the quality of the preserves all play a crucial role in the taste.

As for myself, I used store-bought items that weren't expensive to try it out. Following the recipe created a FANTASTICALLY spicy VERY horseradish kick with a hint of sweetness. Unfortunately I'm the only one that ended up liking it.. it was too much for everyone else.

So I changed it up and created this:

4 oz Horseradish
    16 oz Each of Apricot preserves and Pineapple preserves
    a little less than 1/2 but a little more than 1/3 of a spice canister of dried mustard.

Doing this diluted the horseradish so the taste is a soft, subtle afterthought to the sweet preserves. The dry mustard acts as an emulsing agent, so it really doesn't have a prominent way of taste in the chutney.

Two different flavors entirely, but I think this one I created myself is a bit more people-friendly.. so more people can enjoy it. :3