MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Other folks can add recipes??

Have this pasta recipe, that I'm totally addicted to at the moment:

15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta — Oh She Glows

Ingredients:

9 ounces (255 g) uncooked pasta (use gluten-free, if desired)
    1 to 2 small cloves garlic, to taste
    1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
    1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 ripe medium avocado, pitted
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon (1 to 2 mL) fine-grain sea salt
    Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    Lemon zest, for serving

Directions:
    - Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
    - While the pasta cooks, make the sauce: In a food processor, combine the garlic and basil and pulse to mince.
    - Add the lemon juice, oil, avocado flesh, and 1 tablespoon (15 mL) water and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed. If the sauce is too thick, add another 1 tablespoon (15 mL) water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
    - Drain the pasta and place it back in the pot. Add the avocado sauce and stir until combined. You can gently rewarm the pasta if it has cooled slightly, or simply serve it at room temperature.
    - Top with lemon zest, pepper, and fresh basil leaves, if desired.

(I like the pasta creamier, so I add little to no water, and a little extra oil. Also I never add lemon zest or extra basil, but I do usually stir in cherry tomatoes and/or wilted spinach. Plus parmesan cheese, which is necessary IMO.)
    Ooohh my god I love Oh she Glows!! And of course you can post other recipes in here! I use this as a collection chamber of sorts, so having more options is cool sometimes I browse through here to get some obscure recipes and such. That pasta salad looks like something I'd really enjoy making I have almost all the ingredients too! Thanks for the inspiration!

I wonder if I thinned out those other ingredients if it'd work just as well as a salad dressing...
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ I did a variation of that recipe today @EJCC it inspired me. I used coleslaw mix, broccoli slaw, and some greens as the base and I blended together those ingredients above for the sauce except I used wasabi-soy almonds soaked overnight instead of avocado because that's what I had and I added a couple pickled jalapeno slices. It came out really decadent with a dollop of sour cream and dijon mustard to round it out.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Horchata -- A cinnamoned vanilla rice drink that's comforting and filling when you're not hungry but want calories in the morning to get you going.

Part one:

- 1 1/3 cup uncooked rice
    - 2 cups water
    - 2 cinnamon sticks
    - 3 cups water
    - Vanilla bean (optional, if not use vanilla extract in part two)

Add the first three ingredients into the blender, and blend until roughly chopped. Then add the other 3 cups of water and blend until well combined. Scrape out vanilla bean and stick them and the pod into the mixture. Stick this all into a pitcher of some sort and let soak overnight in the fridge. The next morning, strain with a fine sieve, cheesecloth, or coffee filter depending on how smooth you want the drink to be.

Part two:

- 1 cup milk (any kind)
    - 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract if not using the vanilla bean, or just scrape some more vanilla beans into the mixture
    - 1/3 - 2/3 cup sugar, any kind. 1/3rd will make it less sweet and more earthy, 2/3rds will give it that sweet dessert-like touch.

Combine these things into the strained liquids and mix thoroughly until the sugar dissolves. Serve cold or warm.

What to do with the leftover rice: Rice pudding, or rice porridge, or combine it with leftover cooked rice and saute it up into a cinnamon-y savory meal.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I've been getting more into freezer meals lately. It's a great way to buy cheap things and have homecooked meals available whenever. On the menu for this week:

- Frozen steamable vegetables
    - Wild rice, cooked and frozen for quick thawing
    - Spicy black bean burgers Spicy Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Mayonnaise | Skinnytaste
    - Teriyaki Burgers without the pineapple because they're fine on their own Grilled Hawaiian Teriyaki Burger | Skinnytaste
    - Salisbury Steaks with mushroom gravy sauce Skinny Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy | Skinnytaste
    - Cheeseburger casserole Cheeseburger Casserole | Skinnytaste
    - Root soup Root Soup | Inn at the Crossroads

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Just tried that root soup. It would be such a great winter/sick soup. Very mild flavor, hearty with lots of calories while feeling light, and lots of vegetables in it that totally soften up to an easily digested mush in the process. I think that next time I would stick something more flavorful, meat wise, into it like a ham hock than the salted pork... or just straight up bacon. But still, if you're looking for something quick, not savory enough to want seconds but good enough to finish, and to give you necessary calories without trying to eat a lot so you can work without feeling loaded down, this soup is it. Which you might think is a very specific scope of things, but.. it's the opposite of Pho soup-wise. Pho is full of flavor, there's tons of it and little calories, and you feel refreshed, hydrated, and heavy and full afterwards as if you'd eaten at a huge restaurant meal while getting great nutrients and it is so easy to burn off later.

I'm packaging it up in tupperware tomorrow morning, eating some for breakfast with some jalapeno poppers, and then cooking up the rest of the hamburgers and steaks so that they're freezer prepped and calling it a DAY cooking wise. Plenty of ready-to-cook meals now.
    Last edited by kyuuei; 09-01-2014 at 05:21 PM. Reason: typo correction

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Winter soups!!!

Potato Leek Soup:
    - A bazillion potatoes peeled. Like. At least 4, or 8 if you don't like cauliflower. Chopped into cubes.
    - 2 tbsp EVOO
    - 1 medium onion diced fine
    - 5 cloves garlic diced fine
    - 1 tbsp ginger minced
    - Low sodium beef stock 2-4 cans depending on how much sodium you want in your soup
    - You want somewhere around 8-10 cups of water in total so the stock cans - 10 cups
    - 1-2 leeks washed and chopped thin
    - 1 parmesan rind, my secret weapon to soups (I bought mine at whole foods for like $3 because the places I usually troll for the throw-aways didn't have any, but that 3$ came with like 6 rinds and they keep in the freezer for like ever)
    - 1/2 head cauliflower
    - seasonings you like. I like hamburger-style seasonings in this because I think potato soup ought to be lemony and peppery ... and baked potatoes remind me of steak seasoning, so I use hamburger seasoning or something like that. somewhere around 1 tbsp or 2 of those
    - 1-2 lemons, zested and juiced
    - 2 teaspoons of whole wheat flour dissolved in some of the broth pulled out while cooking
    - Optional toppings to change the flavor: (simple chives, salt, and pepper) (1-2 heaping spoonfuls of queso/velveeta with rotel and ground beef in it) (tortilla chips, pico de gallo, jalapeno, lime, hot sauce) (green onion, shredded cheese, bacon cooked and crumbled, sour cream)

Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until the onion's soaked up most of the oil and started to really brown and get mushy and gross/awesome looking. Then add the water, and add the other stuff as you pull it out and prep it. Boil, then simmer to maintain that boil and cook it until the potatoes are suuuper soft. I like this soup chunky, so I just use a potato masher when its super soft and mash up half the potatoes and keep the other half chunky. Once it's nice and thick from the mashing and flour solution, ladel into bowls and use the optional toppings.

Sweet potato, Carrot, Ginger, Apple Soup
    2 medium or large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes or smaller
    1 package of frozen carrots
    2 apples peeled and chopped fine
    1 yellow onion chopped fine
    5 gloves garlic chopped fine
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1-2 tbsp ginger
    2-3 teaspoons of herbs de provence
    2 cans low sodium chicken stock OR 2-3 teaspoons bouillon
    Enough water to allow things to boil, somewhere around 8-10 cups depending on how thick you want it or how thin
    2-4 packets of turbinado sugar or coconut sugar or 2 tbsp of honey
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 lime juiced
    Optional, but I didn't do it this time: Add apple cider, pumpkin cider, or pumpkin beer to the soup in lieu for some of the water for a more earthy hearty flavor.
    Optional toppings: Sour cream or cheese, but this soup didn't need anything extra to be honest.

Saute the onions and garlic like in the previous recipe. Add water and stock, add the other ingredients as needed, and allow to boil until everything is soft and mushy, somewhere around 20-40 minutes. Once it is, add it all to the blender, and blend it on high until it's all a smooth, soft soupy texture of delicious. Sweet and savory.. high sugar content, but it's mostly natural sugars from the veggies and fruit (can t lower to remove the sugar added), it's also low fat (you can omit the fat entirely with the olive oil) and low calorie. If you say it serves 6 people, and it easily does (I ate two bowls and the rest of my family ate a big bowl) it's around 261 calories according to my fitness pal. Warm and festive too.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Jalapeno lemonade:
    1 jalapeno, cut into circles and seeds removed. I removed like most of the seeds but wasn't too picky about it all.
    1 cup each water and sugar
    1/8th teaspoon of salt, or a slight pinch

(more ingredients later)

Basically add the water and pepper slices, bring to boil and allow to boil for like 2 minutes extra. Then drop the sugar and salt, stir and drop the heat to low, dissolve completely and turn off the heat and let that shit cool off.

But a strainer over the pitcher. Strain the pepper syrup into the pitcher. Juice of about 6 lemon, or approximately 1 cup lemon juice, gets thrown on top of the peppers through the strainer into the pitcher next. Then 6 cups of cold water follow. To spike it, just subtract a cup of water for alcohol of choice.

The result is a very mild heat you feel after swallowing the lemonade. If you want it spicier, you just add more jalapenos.

(Re-posting from my blog.)

Likes prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

In honor of keeping up with my own damn tips.

The menu for the next week's lunches:

Sauteed x meat from dinner or mushrooms and onions + herbes de provence + vegetables chopped
    Spicy sauce
    Shredded cheese
    Oats

And a miso soup or pho soup on the side. I'm totally getting ingredients for those two tomorrow.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I am so subscribing to this thread. @kyuuei, your Final Fantasy drinks are inspired. (Your food recipes look great, too.)
    WOOP WOOP WOOP

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Jalapeno Lemonade with Huevos Rancheros oatmeal!

Lemonade recipe from above for the drink of course.

For the oatmeal:
    - Old fashioned oats, cooked in half water, half fat free low sodium beef broth or stock with smoked paprika seasoned in the water.
    - 1/2 cup of thickened potato soup added to the oats after they've cooked. Garlic mashed potatoes can also be added to this, but I used 30 clove garlic potato soup. If using a canned potato soup, either drain off the liquid and just add the chunks, or leftover potatoes, or cook the soup until you cook off the liquid and make it thicker.
    - Scallions and crumbled bacon and sour cream and lime wedges and hot sauce for the toppings.
    - 3 eggs, cracked into a water/vinegar mixture at a simmering gently boil, and cooked in the water until the whites are done.
    - 1/4 cup shredded cheese per bowl
    - A few canned beans or a black bean burger from the freezer cooked and crumbled up and thrown in
    - 3 tsp of olive oil, onion, mushrooms, frozen spinach, and herbs de provence sauteed together until cooked and tender

First the cheese, then layer the hot oatmeal so it melts the cheese. Add the sauteed veggies and black beans on top, the egg, and the toppings.

For approximately 1 1/8th cup oatmeal cooked (or 1/2 cup dry), and all the toppings, it came out to about 400 calories a bowl. This made 3 bowls. The veggies are light on calories, so you can add as much or little as you like, just keep the proportions of the grains and sauces wrangled in.

It came out spicy, and citrusy (for me, I'm addicted to citrus), and savory. Texture is interesting if you're used to sweet oatmeal, but if you've eaten grits before you know mushy savory grains are awesome too. If the oatmeal puts you off, replace with brown rice.

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    I am so subscribing to this thread. @kyuuei, your Final Fantasy drinks are inspired. (Your food recipes look great, too.)
    Thanks! Dude those FF drinks are so on point. You put a little cactaur picture next to a green shot, and it's like Ooooo.. Aahhhh... Definitely might just do that for my birthday and go full FF7. I might even bust out my wall scroll from like 12 years old and everything!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :bye:
  • :)
  • :hi:
  • :happy2:
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :hug:
  • :wink:
  • ;)
  • :newwink: