User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

So far:

Dried figs -- SUCKED at it. I may stick to just preserving them. I burnt them all to hell.

Brandied figs -- Don't know yet. I'll try them out sometime in the future. I definitely messed them up though. I put twice the brandy that was intended for them. They'll be super alcoholic and way less sweet than the recipe called for.. we'll see.

On the roster:
    - Balsamic pickled figs
    - Saffron fig tarts
    - Vanilla-bean-bourbon fig jam
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Healthier tuna salad:

- Zest of a lemon
    - Tuna or chicken in water, drained
    - Finely chopped marinated artichoke hearts and the oil/juice they were marinating in
    - Capers
    - Horseradish mustard
    - Some reduced-fat sour cream to give a creamier texture

That's it! Really yummy and flavorful, not at all date food, and if you let it sit in french bread for a while the bread on the inside soaks up all that awesome juice and it tastes great.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

In light of my unexpected weight gain (I'm currently blaming BC, but that's another story) I've been cooking up a storm of things this week to consume to help satisfy my appetite while hopefully promoting weight loss.

- Calorie-counted Kashi Vanilla Island cereal, lactaid milk, and a small cup of orange juice = roughly 200 calories
    - A banana after my work out and a can of coconut water to rehydrate - 120 calories
    - A big glass of lemon water, a mason jar salad, a small portion of shrimp ceviche, and a small portion of whatever is leftover from dinner (or a small bag of steamed veggies with a butter sauce if nothing is) = Roughly 300-350 calories
    - A 100-200 calorie snack like a yogurt and juice
    - A skinny taste inspired dinner item with a large glass of lemon water. This week so far I'm making: Lobster wraps, eggplant paninis, mushroom chicken tenderloins, uncured chicken hot dogs, and tonight I had broccoli macaroni and cheese with breadcrumbs on top. Last night we had a homemade chicken soup with whole wheat gnocchi. Roughly 400-500 calories.

Also, a small glass of water before I go to bed and before I wake up.

That's 1,370 calories on the high end of things.. and with P90X, I think that ought to be more than enough to get me back to where I was without struggling too hard.

I would make more veggie soups as they make me feel fuller longer, but I'm just too lazy to cook soup. Salads are so much quicker, although I'd argue the soups are better for me since they require little calorie-dense dressing up.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

In light of my unexpected weight gain (I'm currently blaming BC, but that's another story) I've been cooking up a storm of things this week to consume to help satisfy my appetite while hopefully promoting weight loss.

- Calorie-counted Kashi Vanilla Island cereal, lactaid milk, and a small cup of orange juice = roughly 200 calories
    - A banana after my work out and a can of coconut water to rehydrate - 120 calories
    - A big glass of lemon water, a mason jar salad, a small portion of shrimp ceviche, and a small portion of whatever is leftover from dinner (or a small bag of steamed veggies with a butter sauce if nothing is) = Roughly 300-350 calories
    - A 100-200 calorie snack like a yogurt and juice
    - A skinny taste inspired dinner item with a large glass of lemon water. This week so far I'm making: Lobster wraps, eggplant paninis, mushroom chicken tenderloins, uncured chicken hot dogs, and tonight I had broccoli macaroni and cheese with breadcrumbs on top. Last night we had a homemade chicken soup with whole wheat gnocchi. Roughly 400-500 calories.

Also, a small glass of water before I go to bed and before I wake up.

That's 1,370 calories on the high end of things.. and with P90X, I think that ought to be more than enough to get me back to where I was without struggling too hard.

I would make more veggie soups as they make me feel fuller longer, but I'm just too lazy to cook soup. Salads are so much quicker, although I'd argue the soups are better for me since they require little calorie-dense dressing up.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Adult Lunchables: Because the kids ones are like a bazillion calories + you need like 10 of them to fill you up.

- Wheat sandwich rounds
    - Cold marinara or pizza sauce
    - Shredded cheese
    - Slices of pepperoni

You're welcome.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Something to try in the future for the guys:

Mozzarella stuffed meatballs.

1 lb ground beef
    1 lb ground pork or mild Italian sausage
    1 cup breadcrumbs
    1 TBSP Italian seasoning
    3 eggs
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/2 lb mozzarella, cut into cubes
    Olive Oil
    Marinara sauce

In a large bowl mix beef through pepper. Form into 2" balls.
    Press a cheese cube in the middle and seal the meat around it.
    Heat 1/2" olive oil in a large skillet. Brown meatballs and then set aside on plate.

Pour marinara sauce into pan; bring to a simmer. Add meatballs and simmer until cooked through, about 30 minutes.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Broken Glass Cupcakes

Ingredients
    1 Can white frosting
    1 Box Red Velvet Cake Mix

Sugar Glass:
    2 cups water
    1 cup light corn syrup
    3 1/2 cups white sugar
    1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Edible Blood:
    1/2 cup light corn syrup
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1/4 cup water, or more as needed
    15 drops red food coloring
    3 drops blue food coloring

Directions
    Prepare Red Velvet Cake Mix According to box, line cupcake tins with paper cupcake liners.

Divide cake batter between lined cupcake tins.

Bake according to box instructions. Let cool and frost cupcakes with white frosting.

Make the sugar glass. Mix 2 cups water, 1 cup corn syrup, white sugar, and cream of tartar in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Use a candy thermometer and boil sugar syrup until temperature reaches 300 degrees (hard ball), stirring constantly. The mixture will thicken as water evaporates. When sugar reaches 300 degrees, quickly pour onto a metal baking pan. Cool until completely hardened. Break into "shards" using a meat mallet.

Make the edible blood. Mix together 1/2 cup corn syrup and cornstarch in a large bowl. Slowly stir in the 1/4 cup of water, adding more if necessary, until the corn syrup mixture has thickened to the consistency of blood. Stir in the red and blue food coloring.

Stab each frosted cupcake with a few shards of broken sugar glass. Drizzle on drops of "blood" to complete the effect.

Stolen from Facebook, I just thought the picture was sooooo cool that I had to record this somewhere.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

BBQ Burger patties: for 4 burgers
    - 1 1/2 lbs extra lean ground beef
    - 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
    - 1 tablespoon burger spices
    - Smear a bun with bacon jam (It exists! Look it up!)

Mix everything together. Form patties in such a way as they hold shape, but are not squished into their shape (keep air pockets in the patties. That's important.) Grill 5-6 minutes on each side over medium heat.

Simple and spicy potato salad:
    - 2 lbs potatoes
    - 1 tbsp spices of your choice (I like BBQ spices, or a mixture of oregano, marjoram, tarragon, and rosemary)
    - 1 lemon or lime
    - 1/2 cup bacon jam (or, alternatively, use a package of pancetta)
    - 1/2 cup light mayo
    - 1 1/2 cups sour cream
    - 1/4th cup italian shredded cheeses
    - 1/4th cup green onions
    - 2 tbsp chopped jalapenos

Put potatoes in salty boiling water for about 15 minutes. Pull them out, let them cool, and chop them into chunky bite-sized pieces. Stir everything else together, and add the potatoes and serve. Or, alternatively, refrigerate overnight and serve.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

2:25. I want to try this shake and see if it really does taste like chocolate milk.
    Basically:
    - 20 dates
    - A blender full of water
    - 1/2 cup coconut sugar
    - 3-4 tbsp carob powder
    - 1 drop of peppermint drops

I suppose you could use coconut milk instead of water too for some of it.. but I want to see if the water works.

Why do raw vegans always sound a bit douchey to me when they talk? I wonder if maybe the constant praise of the diet is a positive reinforcement mechanism for them so that they continue to stick to their lifestyle which isn't the easiest thing to dedicate one's self to..

Other things I want to try:
    - http://veggienook.com/2012/03/16/hom...4-ingredients/

This chocolate recipe. It could be a viable solution for my father's sweet tooth..

- Date sugar. I want to see if it'd be a viable thing to add to oatmeal instead of regular sugar. I'm thinking yes.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ For the record, it does. It was awesome.

New recipe I really love!!: Tea Beer. Looks like beer, tastes like tea, way healthy, and you won't look like a douche with a cosmo hanging out with people.

Inspired by this place: http://www.dobrateanc.com/chilledTea.php I tried to recreate it myself and it worked!

- A dark tea like oolong or black tea
    - A sweetener (I used a mixture of coconut sugar, maple syrup, and honey)
    - Boiling water
    - A shaker with ice
    - A beer mug

Make some damn tea in that boiled water, let it steep to the desired taste (I'm going to try this cold brewed too), and sweeten it to taste.

The key to this: The ice and shaker. Pour the warm tea into the ice shaker, and shake the hell out of it, and when you pour it in keep the foam on top. The result is a frothy head with a beer-looking color from the tea. I hate beer, and I'm not the biggest fan of drinking.. I like this concept a lot.

http://curryandcomfort.yummly.com/20...hai-latte.html

Next time I'll try this--having some milk froth at the top that will float and give it a sweet milky flavor.