User Tag List

View Poll Results: Hoarder or Minimalist?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hoarder

28 45.16%
  • Minimalist

34 54.84%
123 Last

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Default Are you a hoarder or a minimalist?

Is your home like a burrow where you have hoarded this and that or do you tend to have regular or mass clearouts? Only two options in the poll, best fit if you are indecisive.

Personally Im a bit of a hoarder but I am trying to be a bit more minimalist. The worst offender is paper. I write things down and can't seem to throw them out, even though I often don't go back to it unless Im having a clearout, at which point I decide it's too good to throw away.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Minimalist.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

I do keep a few very special items, but over all I tend to only keep what I need.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I used to hold onto more things, mostly because I was raised in a very knick-knacky/hoarding environment, and I therefore had a guilt-response whenever I thought of getting rid of things. What if I might need it down the line? Or, 'Oh, my mom gave that to me 18 years ago, and even though I don't really like it anymore, or want it, I feel bad about getting rid of it.....' It's like I was raised to be a person who would want to accumulate, and keep accumulate random things, but it wasn't really in my nature.

A few moves/relocations really brought things into context, though, and for several years random clutter/stuff has really **annoyed** me. So I went through a couple of little purges over the years, and since then I've kept things stable. I don't want anything more, and if I feel the desire to buy something new, I then want to discard something older - just give it up for donation. I don't want any net increase in stuff.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I used to hold onto more things, mostly because I was raised in a very knick-knacky/hoarding environment, and I therefore had a guilt-response whenever I thought of getting rid of things. What if I might need it down the line? Or, 'Oh, my mom gave that to me 18 years ago, and even though I don't really like it anymore, or want it, I feel bad about getting rid of it.....' It's like I was raised to be a person who would want to accumulate, and keep accumulate random things, but it wasn't really in my nature.

A few moves/relocations really brought things into context, though, and for several years random clutter/stuff has really **annoyed** me. So I went through a couple of little purges over the years, and since then I've kept things stable. I don't want anything more, and if I feel the desire to buy something new, I then want to discard something older - just give it up for donation. I don't want any net increase in stuff.
    Thanks for writing this, it's exactly my story as well!
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Everytime I move or get something new I normally give away or throw away my old stuff. This happens very frequently, so I normally dont accumulate a lot of junk. I watch that show Hoarders every once in awhile and after that show I end up throwing out more of my stuff. So to answer your question yes I am a minimalist.

Phantonym

I'm going to vote hoarder. I have loads of useful stuff stored/buried in my humongous kitchen cabinets and in my wardrobe because I like to buy things in bulk. But only the things I know I need and I have no problems with getting rid of stuff. So, everything is stuffed away but my interior design is minimalistic. No need for burrowing.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm actually a bit of both....

I keep hold of things, then maybe 2-3 time a year I go on a mad chuck out. I've also done a few get shot of it if you've not used it for a year type things.

I find I really hoard clothes, which is fine if they can be worn at a later point, but sometimes I keep them all the same...

That said, I also tend to buy new cloths but wear the old ones, and then about a year later wear the new ones, it's almost like I have a delay button with some new stuff.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I chose hoarder simply because I have this "pack rat" problem of not wanting to throw away old notebooks and papers from previous school semesters. I have serious issues with throwing things away, and when I finally do get around to going through old clothes and such I like to try to donate them somewhere instead of just getting rid of them.

The thing is, though, I need a lot of open space in my apartment so in that regard I may seem more "minimalist." I'm not someone who has a great deal of furniture or equipment, etc.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I'm a minimalist when it comes to material things. Used to hoard "things" that I neither wanted nor needed, but I would keep items to avoid hurting the giver. I've moved a lot in the past 10 years, so I've slowly shed things along the way. I seriously downsized the Summer after moving into the house that I really wanted. So, I think I've always been a material minimalist at heart, just too guilt stricken to throw things away people would give me.

On the other hand, I'm extremely sentimental. I've happily and intentionally kept every letter or little whatever given to me by friends of mine throughout my life. I've got the promise string that a friend of mine tied around my finger in 2nd grade. I've got a little bag of SweetHearts given to me by my 8th grade crush. Little doodles that friends of mine used to pass around when we were bored in classes, I've still got. Necklaces and friendship bracelets that are about 20 years old, I've still got.:yim_rolling_on_the_And letters. Boxes and boxes of letters from the time my friends and I could write to each other. Printed emails from the years when the word "email" was just entering common vocabulary, got em. All of my books and notebooks from school, dating from kindergarten and going through college are in my garage. I hoard things that tie my emotional life together. I keep things that remind me of my life's journey.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.