User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    If people could make soap, why would they buy it?
    Surely you can answer this question if you think about it long enough.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I let my dog lick me clean each day.
    It costs me nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I let my dog lick me clean each day.
    It costs me nothing.
    OK, OK...sure......
    I'm not sure how to make soap.
    It's hard to come by whale blubber these days.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeLogic View Post
    Olive oil is okay, I use almond oil and dendritic salt, the texture reminds me of lava soap without the pumice.
    Sounds nice, but pricey. Is it sudsy and gentle?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    If people could make soap, why would they buy it?
    The process involves a chemical reaction that creates a caustic base at high temps, takes awhile to make, and has to cure for a few weeks. Kind of a pain in the behind.

If you consider the cost of your time, it's probably quite a bit cheaper to buy a cheap bar of soap than to make it yourself. Unless you are on food stamps and can basically get the oil for free. Or save your meat drippings or something.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Sounds nice, but pricey. Is it sudsy and gentle?
    It's a little bit pricey, but you can get a gallon for $30-50 online.

It's very gentle and it doesn't leave a thick residue, very refreshing.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

A very effective soap can be made from ashes and tallow.

Some primitive tribes used to find that their clothes would get a lot cleaner if they washed them in a certain spot in the river. This was because they were burning carcasses up stream, and dumping the waste in, causing the ashes/tallow to be deposited down stream

MBTI
    INTP

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap will hold you over until you make your own. They have one that will make the entire neighborhood smell like peppermint, but it makes your entire body feel cool in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap will hold you over until you make your own. They have one that will make the entire neighborhood smell like peppermint, but it makes your entire body feel cool in the summer.
    I love Dr. Bronners! It's the only thing I use for cleaning anything, actually. I'm not really sure about how to make castile soap, but it cleans better than any artificial surfactants out there.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    I love Dr. Bronners! It's the only thing I use for cleaning anything, actually. I'm not really sure about how to make castile soap, but it cleans better than any artificial surfactants out there.
    I hear you can use it for laundry, do you know if that is true?

That's one thing I have not tried yet, I don't know how effective it would be... here are the dilutions they suggest :
    For the laundry, use 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup for one regular load; adjust as needed depending on hardness of water. I've been told that adding a dash of baking soda makes it even better.
    I have a friend who uses castile soap for laundry purposes, so I am assuming it should work.