1. Choose a dish to master.
2. Collect a bunch of recipes for that dish.
3. Rank recipes based on criteria like quality of the source, ease of preparation, etc.
4. Make the dish using a few of the top recipes.
5. Try out any interesting ideas from some of the lesser recipes within the better recipes.
6. Using your newly acquired familiarity with the general concepts of the dish, freestyle and see what happens.
7. Arrive at a hybrid Frankenrecipe that incorporates the best of everything.
8. Accept praise from dinner guests.
Or, to be more succinct, the way they do it.