• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

x not x

lamp

Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Freedom has two parts: potential and resolution; as metaphor has two parts: form and interpretation. Of course, the two are intertwined. Metaphor lines the road to freedom, as symbols and words are the bricks and mortar of meaning. Freedom is being the bricoleur, the mason.
wait "x not x"=not free? I mean how did you know how to respond to that? did he say something more substantial, then edit it to that?

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
This is blowing my mind. Not in the good sexual way either...

You're trying to make a point by being vague? Maybe showing how we choose to interpret those variables is your goal.

I take one look at that and try to see the reasoning behind your thread. I'm not interested in the thread material at all. There is my interpretation, sir.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No, it isn't important You must realise that it's just part of life. One must be independent and value interdependence. It is also important to consider that what is not part of your life is not what you can control.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I just want to know what this has to do with nature, wildlife and the outdoors.

Perhaps "Oh, I saw this bird, and I thought it was an x, but as it turns out it's an x not x." But who would ever say that, why not call one of the variables y to distinguish the difference.

lamp

This thread is mirrorlike. not really about x, not x, 'x not x', contradictions. it is about meaning.

also, what I posted earlier, was a quote. not original.

G

Ginkgo

I'm a programmer, not an engineer.

I'm a doctor, not a lawyer.

I'm a veterinarian, not a scientist.

Right?

No, because x must specifically be x.

x=x

A veterinarian is only a subtype of scientist in the same way that a square is a subtype of a rectangle.

x=x means that x is x. is is the verb.

However, "x not x" doesn't make any coherent sense because it does not contain a verb. Therefore, it is not a complete statement, and cannot be taken seriously as a logical premise.

It is ironic that "x not x" is open to interpretation by all of us, while simultaneously being a reference to interpretation itself.

G

Ginkgo

I want Provoker to expound on his statement, but I doubt he will because "x not x" is so much more interesting when it's left to interpretation.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
However, "x not x" doesn't make any coherent sense because it does not contain a verb. Therefore, it is not a complete statement, and cannot be taken seriously as a logical premise.

Quite. Let the N freaks obsess about it, though. It's fun.

Kangol

MBTI Type
INTP
Has a Dog Buddha Nature?

this belongs in philosophy this does not belong in philosophy

mu not mu

and may I say, the only emperor is the Emperor of Ice Cream

cleverusername

Reminds me of something I read about a way to ask questions in Mandarin by using some sort of verb not verb structure.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Just because two things look superficially similar, does not mean they are part of the same principle?