User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Vacuuming

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I love my Oreck. It has incredible suction for something that's so light weight.

The best part is, Oreck threw in a free electric handmixer in the deal and it's the best handmixer I've ever had! Whips egg whites into stiff peaks in under a minute! I don't know if they still offer the free handmixer though. But the vacuum is great anyway.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.
    ~ Groucho Marx

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    So I'm realizing that the whole point of bagless vacuums was to get rid of the headache of having to change a bag.... but with the bagless ones, they've just replaced the headache of changing a bag with the headache of changing a filter.
    That's why Dyson pwns.

No bag, no filter to change.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    That's why Dyson pwns.

No bag AND no filter. Interesting.

*goes to look up info about Dyson*

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I love this thread. Saying "This absolutely sucks!!" is a good thing.

We have a dyson. I think it works rather well, probably better on carpet than on bare floors, but as old and lame and broken as ours is it still works decently. The system works out where we can take the whole canister outside and empty it in the trash outside so nothing gets released into the house.

When I was at my apartment, I used a lame Wal-mart handheld vacuum for my floors, and a Swiffer carpet flick inbetween. I rather liked the carpet flick, it picked up small things daily so I wouldn't have to drag the vacuum out until the weekend.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

That's why Dyson pwns.

I call shens.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I love this thread. Saying "This absolutely sucks!!" is a good thing.

We have a dyson. I think it works rather well, probably better on carpet than on bare floors, but as old and lame and broken as ours is it still works decently. The system works out where we can take the whole canister outside and empty it in the trash outside so nothing gets released into the house.

When I was at my apartment, I used a lame Wal-mart handheld vacuum for my floors, and a Swiffer carpet flick inbetween. I rather liked the carpet flick, it picked up small things daily so I wouldn't have to drag the vacuum out until the weekend.
    with the dyson, when you remove the canister, isn't all the dust and debris exposed to the air for a short while until you get outside?

My biggest problem is that they are so costly. Why in the world are they so costly? I wanna make sure they work well, and it's not just all hype!

MBTI
    INTJ

That's why Dyson pwns.

No filter to CHANGE... keyword : change.

There is a filter, but you rinse it out and put it back in.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

giggly: I don't really have a problem with that at all, it's just gross to empty when I do get outside. I've never been so overly sensitive that I worry about a couple particles being in the air. Getting 99% of the crap is better than nothing.

I'd go with that cordless one probably when I get my own house that was mentioned on page 1. Having no cord sounds like a god-send, and usually the reason why I get lazy on vacuuming in the first place.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ

with the dyson, when you remove the canister, isn't all the dust and debris exposed to the air for a short while until you get outside?
    Yes, it can be. I have a cyclonic cleaner with a canister. I have developed a system for removing the canister and dumping it with minimal dust-loss.

My biggest problem is that they are so costly. Why in the world are they so costly? I wanna make sure they work well, and it's not just all hype!
    I dare say they only seem costly because Wal-Mart and Target and other such stores sell junk for $45 that LOOKS like a vacuum cleaner when in fact they are pieces of junk masquerading as vacuum cleaners... and which break in 3 months. If you want a machine that will last 20-30 years, pay the $300.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    No filter to CHANGE... keyword : change.

There is a filter, but you rinse it out and put it back in.
    I forget to do it every three months...

It's no big deal, it's not even dirty.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

This is the sister thread to my dusting thread.

Currently my vacuum sucks! (not literally, unfortunately). The suction is terrible. Actually, the suction is good coming from the hose, but it's really bad coming from the part that rolls on the floor, which causes me to have to vacuum the whole floor on my hands and knees using the hose. Vacuum FAIL!

So, I need a new vacuum that has good suction coming from the part that rolls on the floor. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
    I haven't read the whole thread, because my solution to the vacuum suckage was to rip the carpet out and put down laminate.

But I'd bet my life that your problem is a broken belt in the part that rolls on the floor. That costs about $25 to fix. Take it to the shop. They can fix it in a day.