• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Making clothes

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Since I like looking original and getting noticed for it, I decided I want to get some one of, self designed shirts and sweaters. The ideas are in my head, now I need to figure out how to implement it practically. I want to get a sewing machine and learn how to work with it, but since I have no experience whatsoever with it I want to know what I'm getting into first.

1. When getting a sewing machine, what should I look for.

2. Is it possible to make embroideries with a regular sewing machine? If so how difficult is it, and how do I do it?

3. On shirts, what types of printing are there and what are the advantages and disadvantages of each type?

4. How difficult is it generally to make your own clothes?

5. Any further comments?

wank

MBTI Type
free
Enneagram
nope
'Simplicity' has nice semi cheap designs for that sort of such.

It's not too difficult to do. A friend of mine made a sweater on the comedown of a mushroom trip,... it was his first piece of clothing he had made,... it was nice...

When getting a sewing machine, you should ask for a awl, because you're on the internet, and I assume you're totally hardcore. :D

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
1. I'm really not sure how to answer this. I've been using the same machine since high school which was a hand me down from someone else. I think older machines are stronger and work better. Maybe check good will? Craigslist? Take fabric with you to test the machine. You can get a new machine, but since I use my old diehard machine I don't know how to shop for one.

You want a machine that can at least straight stitch and zigzag. A buttonholer is nice but you can buttonhole with a zigzag stitch since a special zigzag is all that a buttonhole is. (although it will probably be too advanced stitch for a new sewer) You might want to look into a serger, if you look inside your clothing that is actually what store bought seams are done with.

2. You can applique with just a zigzag stitch and do some small just zigzag stitch embroidery with a regular machine. Embroidery machines will do a much better job until you get better at it. Larger images require an embroidery machine. They are pretty pricey. If you want awesome embroidery you can hand embroider your items, that looks great but takes more time. (People didnt' used to have machines to do embroidery or sewing :p )

deerfield-embroidery-motif.jpg
hand embroidery
Muti_colour_Embroidery_lace.jpg
machine embroidery
machine-applique-quilting-technique-1.jpg
Machine applique (can be a lot more complicated and awesome looking than this)
HowStuffWorks "Machine Applique Quilt Technique"

3. You mean like printing words? Iron on printing might work for you - you can even print it in your printer. Also embroidery. I'm not overly familiar with this stuff. Iron on wears off, embroidery lasts longer but is harder to do or more expensive to get done. They do have iron on stuff at the fabric store that you can embellish with.

4. Depends what you want to make. New sewers can usually make stuff that looks half decent. There are tricks and things you will learn, but it usually just makes the construction better (better seams, finished seams, better hems) Making fitted items is more complicated.

5. You might want to look into some sewing classes near you, we have some great ones here at a sewing machine store, you just never know what you will find available. If you are going for fitted stuff you may want to take a fitted clothing class or a tailoring class. I haven't taken any so I can't say much about them.

Pretty much you want to read the directions well on the patterns you use and learn each step and plan how you are doing it. Then you dive in. If you learn to absorb each pattern you use into your design information you are able to do more. At least that's how I do it. Sewing is one of the few things I actually plan and am disciplined about.

I :wubbie: sewing.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i guess the key is patience to deal with detail and also plan details in advance. i want results after a few hours, and that's why i usually fail - because i will actually skip details, hoping that nobody takes such a close look at details. but of course they are obvious. for instance, shortening a jeans is just impossible, because they should be sewed before they are 'stonewhashed'. a sloppy seam feels like wearing a bad IQ test result on my sleeve.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
It's not too difficult to do. A friend of mine made a sweater on the comedown of a mushroom trip,... it was his first piece of clothing he had made,... it was nice...

I didn't come up with the idea while on a mushroom trip, but I did think about it while tripping, and that it would be nice to do.

Also, I think I'll first use my moms sewing machine until I get some skills and know what I'm getting into. I might take a sewing class, or ask a friend to teach me, I know a couple of people who can sew.

I'm pleased that I'm getting so much possitive responses so quickly.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
An INTP sewing their own clothes?

Just in case that doesn't work out: cafepress.com

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
An INTP sewing their own clothes?

Just in case that doesn't work out: cafepress.com

I know, radical aren't I. It's not actually the sewing I'm interested in, I just want clothes nobody else has.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
If that's what you want I think you could modify existing items to make them unique.

B

brainheart

I know, radical aren't I. It's not actually the sewing I'm interested in, I just want clothes nobody else has.

Doesn't seem radical to me at all. And since you are likely good with visual spatial skills, chances are you will kick ass at it. I used to make all of my clothes, but laying out the patterns on the fabric was the hardest thing for me. It should be easy for you.

Have fun. But don't expect perfection right from the beginning.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Yeah I don't believe an INTP can make clothes.

I am so lazy, I'd just wear a bed sheet and call it a toga.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
If that's what you want I think you could modify existing items to make them unique.

Amongst other things, It's a bit of an experiment really, I don't know how for I'll go with it. I just came to the realisation that buying clothes is silly. You're just buying the same things everybody else already has. I want to try something else for a change.

Lily Bart

MBTI Type
INFP
It's probably helpful to get a good book on sewing, too, like Vogue's. I used to sew a lot and then I stopped and last year I made some dresses for my daughters and the patterns and instructions seem a lot less detailed (to the point of being confusing) than they used to be. If you understand the basics of clothing construction, then you won't get led astray by some weird shorthand the pattern company uses to save money.

ESTPMarie

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
1. When getting a sewing machine, what should I look for.

2. Is it possible to make embroideries with a regular sewing machine? If so how difficult is it, and how do I do it?

3. On shirts, what types of printing are there and what are the advantages and disadvantages of each type?

4. How difficult is it generally to make your own clothes?

5. Any further comments?

I'd highly recommend hanging out at the Pattern Review website (PatternReview.com). With the exception of the question about printing, I know I've seen tons of info on everything you're looking for there. Plus if you post questions on the message boards, you will get a ton of immediate, useful feedback from long-time sewists.

As to further comments - the biggest piece of advice I can give you is practice, practice, PRACTICE. Pick one thing, and sew it over again until it's perfect. It's taken me years (I've been sewing for nearly 40 years now) to realize that If I have two or three basic top/pant/skirt/dress patterns that flatter my shape and fit me perfectly, I can make them up in all sorts of different fabrics and change the details and no one realizes they're the same basic design. (On PR, they refer to them as TNT (tried and true) patterns.)

As an ESTP, I'm always looking for new/bright/shiny/cool things, but I try to limit that to the jewelry and shoes I buy, and keep my sewing as simple as I can. :) Good luck to you!

cleverusername

I had the same plan a while back so I picked up an el-cheapo Brother sewing machine at Wal-Mart. I lost interest in this plan shortly after purchasing the equipment, but I've done some basic alterations and thrift-store modifications with it - it's a good basic machine.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
If you want to make sweaters, may I recommend knitting? Making your own fabric yields many more possibilities for sweaters than buying it.

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
^
Yes, I think knitting is the way to go for sweaters. Not only can you make the fabric interesting by using various stitches, but you can also combine two different types of yarn simultaneously to create an entirely unique fabric. I definately get noticed for my unique handknit sweaters, shawls, and scarves.;)
Knitting is a great stress reliever too and you can take your knitting just about anywhere you go.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I was a kid, almost everybody sewed and/or gardened. Things have changed much since then.