User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Making clothes

MBTI
    SEXY

Default Making clothes

Since I like looking original and getting noticed for it, I decided I want to get some one of, self designed shirts and sweaters. The ideas are in my head, now I need to figure out how to implement it practically. I want to get a sewing machine and learn how to work with it, but since I have no experience whatsoever with it I want to know what I'm getting into first.

1. When getting a sewing machine, what should I look for.

2. Is it possible to make embroideries with a regular sewing machine? If so how difficult is it, and how do I do it?

3. On shirts, what types of printing are there and what are the advantages and disadvantages of each type?

4. How difficult is it generally to make your own clothes?

5. Any further comments?

MBTI
    free
    Enneagram
    nope

'Simplicity' has nice semi cheap designs for that sort of such.

It's not too difficult to do. A friend of mine made a sweater on the comedown of a mushroom trip,... it was his first piece of clothing he had made,... it was nice...

When getting a sewing machine, you should ask for a awl, because you're on the internet, and I assume you're totally hardcore.
    Everyone is a case study.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

1. I'm really not sure how to answer this. I've been using the same machine since high school which was a hand me down from someone else. I think older machines are stronger and work better. Maybe check good will? Craigslist? Take fabric with you to test the machine. You can get a new machine, but since I use my old diehard machine I don't know how to shop for one.

You want a machine that can at least straight stitch and zigzag. A buttonholer is nice but you can buttonhole with a zigzag stitch since a special zigzag is all that a buttonhole is. (although it will probably be too advanced stitch for a new sewer) You might want to look into a serger, if you look inside your clothing that is actually what store bought seams are done with.

2. You can applique with just a zigzag stitch and do some small just zigzag stitch embroidery with a regular machine. Embroidery machines will do a much better job until you get better at it. Larger images require an embroidery machine. They are pretty pricey. If you want awesome embroidery you can hand embroider your items, that looks great but takes more time. (People didnt' used to have machines to do embroidery or sewing :P )

hand embroidery
    machine embroidery
    Machine applique (can be a lot more complicated and awesome looking than this)
    HowStuffWorks "Machine Applique Quilt Technique"

3. You mean like printing words? Iron on printing might work for you - you can even print it in your printer. Also embroidery. I'm not overly familiar with this stuff. Iron on wears off, embroidery lasts longer but is harder to do or more expensive to get done. They do have iron on stuff at the fabric store that you can embellish with.

4. Depends what you want to make. New sewers can usually make stuff that looks half decent. There are tricks and things you will learn, but it usually just makes the construction better (better seams, finished seams, better hems) Making fitted items is more complicated.

5. You might want to look into some sewing classes near you, we have some great ones here at a sewing machine store, you just never know what you will find available. If you are going for fitted stuff you may want to take a fitted clothing class or a tailoring class. I haven't taken any so I can't say much about them.

Pretty much you want to read the directions well on the patterns you use and learn each step and plan how you are doing it. Then you dive in. If you learn to absorb each pattern you use into your design information you are able to do more. At least that's how I do it. Sewing is one of the few things I actually plan and am disciplined about.

I sewing.

i guess the key is patience to deal with detail and also plan details in advance. i want results after a few hours, and that's why i usually fail - because i will actually skip details, hoping that nobody takes such a close look at details. but of course they are obvious. for instance, shortening a jeans is just impossible, because they should be sewed before they are 'stonewhashed'. a sloppy seam feels like wearing a bad IQ test result on my sleeve.

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by wank View Post
    It's not too difficult to do. A friend of mine made a sweater on the comedown of a mushroom trip,... it was his first piece of clothing he had made,... it was nice...
    I didn't come up with the idea while on a mushroom trip, but I did think about it while tripping, and that it would be nice to do.

Also, I think I'll first use my moms sewing machine until I get some skills and know what I'm getting into. I might take a sewing class, or ask a friend to teach me, I know a couple of people who can sew.

I'm pleased that I'm getting so much possitive responses so quickly.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

An INTP sewing their own clothes?

Just in case that doesn't work out: cafepress.com

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    An INTP sewing their own clothes?

Just in case that doesn't work out: cafepress.com
    I know, radical aren't I. It's not actually the sewing I'm interested in, I just want clothes nobody else has.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

If that's what you want I think you could modify existing items to make them unique.

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    I know, radical aren't I. It's not actually the sewing I'm interested in, I just want clothes nobody else has.
    Doesn't seem radical to me at all. And since you are likely good with visual spatial skills, chances are you will kick ass at it. I used to make all of my clothes, but laying out the patterns on the fabric was the hardest thing for me. It should be easy for you.

Have fun. But don't expect perfection right from the beginning.

MBTI
    YaYa

Yeah I don't believe an INTP can make clothes.

I am so lazy, I'd just wear a bed sheet and call it a toga.