User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Making clothes

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    If that's what you want I think you could modify existing items to make them unique.
    Amongst other things, It's a bit of an experiment really, I don't know how for I'll go with it. I just came to the realisation that buying clothes is silly. You're just buying the same things everybody else already has. I want to try something else for a change.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

That forum looks neat.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    That forum looks neat.
    I don't sew or anything but I love to visit that forum and just look at all the projects they do.

MBTI
    INFJ

It's probably helpful to get a good book on sewing, too, like Vogue's. I used to sew a lot and then I stopped and last year I made some dresses for my daughters and the patterns and instructions seem a lot less detailed (to the point of being confusing) than they used to be. If you understand the basics of clothing construction, then you won't get led astray by some weird shorthand the pattern company uses to save money.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    1. When getting a sewing machine, what should I look for.

2. Is it possible to make embroideries with a regular sewing machine? If so how difficult is it, and how do I do it?

3. On shirts, what types of printing are there and what are the advantages and disadvantages of each type?

4. How difficult is it generally to make your own clothes?

5. Any further comments?
    I'd highly recommend hanging out at the Pattern Review website (PatternReview.com). With the exception of the question about printing, I know I've seen tons of info on everything you're looking for there. Plus if you post questions on the message boards, you will get a ton of immediate, useful feedback from long-time sewists.

As to further comments - the biggest piece of advice I can give you is practice, practice, PRACTICE. Pick one thing, and sew it over again until it's perfect. It's taken me years (I've been sewing for nearly 40 years now) to realize that If I have two or three basic top/pant/skirt/dress patterns that flatter my shape and fit me perfectly, I can make them up in all sorts of different fabrics and change the details and no one realizes they're the same basic design. (On PR, they refer to them as TNT (tried and true) patterns.)

As an ESTP, I'm always looking for new/bright/shiny/cool things, but I try to limit that to the jewelry and shoes I buy, and keep my sewing as simple as I can. :-) Good luck to you!
    100% *E*/100% *T*
    Married to an INFP - whose "P-ness" makes up for the I, N and F :yim_rolling_on_the_

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    I know, radical aren't I. It's not actually the sewing I'm interested in, I just want clothes nobody else has.
    I had the same plan a while back so I picked up an el-cheapo Brother sewing machine at Wal-Mart. I lost interest in this plan shortly after purchasing the equipment, but I've done some basic alterations and thrift-store modifications with it - it's a good basic machine.

MBTI
    ENFJ

If you want to make sweaters, may I recommend knitting? Making your own fabric yields many more possibilities for sweaters than buying it.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

^
    Yes, I think knitting is the way to go for sweaters. Not only can you make the fabric interesting by using various stitches, but you can also combine two different types of yarn simultaneously to create an entirely unique fabric. I definately get noticed for my unique handknit sweaters, shawls, and scarves.
    Knitting is a great stress reliever too and you can take your knitting just about anywhere you go.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.
    ~ Groucho Marx

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

When I was a kid, almost everybody sewed and/or gardened. Things have changed much since then.