User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default Eat those pumpkins!

So, In recent years I have become a big fan of winter squash, those big strange looking gourds that we all know are related to pumpkins, but probably seldom think to eat. It's great stuff, I love squash! So this year, I got to thinking: well gee, it's fall, and those big giant gourds called pumpkins that are always on sale might actually be useful for something more than jackolanturns. So, I did some searching, and apparently you don't really want to eat the decorative pumpkins because they lack flavor and have a smaller amount of watery flesh. Supposedly you want to get the "pie pumpkins". So today I finally found a store selling one of these rather elusive types of pumpkin at $1/lb. I guess that's not too bad of a price compared to a usual winter squash. I'm looking forward to eating pumpkin for the first time . Does anyone have any cooking suggestions for pumpkin, recipes and such? I think I'm just gonna bake it in the oven, puree it with some seasonings, and eat it that way.

I think you're referring to "neck pumpkins" which are used for cooking.

I am a huge fan of winter (and summer) squash and pumpkins. Eat up! They are very healthful foods that are often neglected in the colder months. They shouldn't be though because it's very good to eat what is in season.

A lot of the recipes I looked up online are bread or pastry based use of pumpkin (pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins/bread etc).

I usually eat it the away you were going to make it (like pumpkin pie without the crust!) since I am gluten intolerant and cannot eat the recipes calling for wheat or other glutenous grains.

You must be in Canada. I still have acorn squash, watermelon and peppers to harvest.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

The pie pumpkins are awesome. I bake them all the time when they're in season. What I usually do is cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and strings, and put it open-side-down on a pan covered with tinfoil and cover it with another layer of tinfoil so it kind of steams in its own moisture. Usually 50 minutes to an hour at 350 is enough. Then you can just scoop out the flesh and mash it up with some brown sugar and spices. If you want something pie-like you can add some egg and milk and bake it again. Or add it to muffins and bread.

Butternut squash and acorn squash are also good for mixing in with muffins and bread. And my kids like them re-baked with egg and milk and sugar, just like pumpkin.

Your body must need vitamin A, Risen, with all your recent threads about orange vegetables.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Butternut squash and acorn squash are also good for mixing in with muffins and bread
    I'm not big on sausage, but sausage-stuffed butternut and acorn squash is delicious. I've never had squash muffins, though, sounds like a good idea.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Mmmm, this is a perfect thread. I've been trying out squashes (have made my way through butternut and kalocha), but was wondering about other ways to prepare them. That mashing shounds good.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

The only way to have pumpkin...or maybe pie form thats really good too.
    SDMF

Fuck, I love pumpkins. I just remembered how much I really really really love pumpkins.

Phantonym

Oooh. Pumpkins are great!! Stuffed with all kinds of good nutrients and vitamins. I haven't used them that much, though. I recently discovered that I can use pumpkins for smoothies. Peel the pumpkin, cube it, throw in some apples (not too sweet) and honey, blend it, and you have a delicious smoothie.

I was like, what have you been doing all this time without the pumpkins?

Pumpkin smoothie?! With the advent of the liquid form I can now ingest as many pumpkins as possible!