User Tag List

Thread: Home remedies

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Default Home remedies

I have a cold right now and I have so little energy right now that I can hardly think. I hate being sick, but I hate medications almost as much. I'm just so sensitive to medications that the side effects that I get from them are sometimes worse than my sickness!

So, of course I usually go for home remedies. Right now, I'm sipping on some Adagio peppermint tea. Sure, any brand of peppermint tea is soothing, but I've found none more potent than Adagio. The flavor is also better. It actually tastes like fresh mint even though it's dried. Perfect for sore throught and sinus trouble.

Also, I like to make a chicken soup that has a special blend of spices: cinnamon, cloves, cayenne, cumin, fennel seed, coriander seed, and sweet paprika. Not only do these warm and fragrant spices feel good to my sinuses, but they do wonders for my mood. This soup feels like a big, warm, hug!

So, what are your favorite home remedies for whatever ails ya?
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.
    ~ Groucho Marx

MBTI
    ISFJ

Anything around 50% alcoholic. Boil it. Pour into a cup. Drink. It will forever redefine the meaning of "strong" for you, but it will help.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i know some native american home remedies and medicines that my grandmother taught me. when i was a kid she would give me mint tea for a stomach ache, or have me chew mint leaves. also she would grind up mint leaves (with something else, i think) and put it on our skin for itchiness.
    she liked to make tea from blackberry roots, for stress and for some colds and sicknesses.

i will have to think about it and remember some. i know i wrote down a bunch of her home remedies once. she made a lot of teas and made a lot of medicines from tree barks. so many tree barks! all of her medicines were from roots, trees, and plants.

haha, my grandfather (her husband) was all about hot alcohol. boiling hot whiskey! that was his cure for everything.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

^
    Oh neat! If you can remember some of those Native American remedies, then please, do post them!

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Anything around 50% alcoholic. Boil it. Pour into a cup. Drink. It will forever redefine the meaning of "strong" for you, but it will help.
    Ah, yes, alcohol. That's how I'm able to get to sleep when I feel like this, but I want to stay more alert and functional during the day so peppermint tea will have to do. Chewing on crystalized ginger also helps clear my sinuses.
    Good for the tummy too!
    I've never actually tried boiling wisky though. Might give that a try.Thanks.
    ~ Groucho Marx

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

The old towel over the head and a hot bowl of very, very strong mint stuff usually helps though it did lead to an argument on year. Apparently people don't like the whole house to smell of mint. How odd. I love it... and at that time couldn't actually notice...
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    yupp

you do realize boiling alcohol gets rid of the alcohol content? if you heat alcohol past boiling point it evaporates thus lowing the content?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    YaYa

ginger, lemon, garlic, cayenne pepper tea will clear you out good for sinus stuff.

Apple Cider vinegar is nasty stuff. But if you can learn to stomach it, its helped with asthma related problems.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    you do realize boiling alcohol gets rid of the alcohol content? if you heat alcohol past boiling point it evaporates thus lowing the content?
    It would only get rid of the alcohol content if you went beyond just bringing it to a boil and kept boiling it down. It would be reduced a bit I'm sure but most of it would remain, all of it if you kept the pot covered. But I'm trying it tonight, so I will find out for sure soon enough.
    ~ Groucho Marx

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

I usually let a cold take its course...
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!