• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I love sweet potatoes!

Usehername

On a mission
My momma is makin' some right now for CDN thanksgiving this weekend. :D (I am studying and get a free pass from helping this year. I guess that means I should get off the 'net.)

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just wrap mine in foil and bake them at no more than 350F. Making the oven too hot can make the sugars burn, which gives them a very bad flavor. Lower temps will make them caramelize nicely. Just cook them until they get completely soft (at that temp its hard to overcook them time wise).

My freshly purchased sweet potatoes thank you!

Unless they don't like to be cooked and eaten, in which case they curse you. However, surely something as awesome as a sweet potato knows its job in life is to provide delicious sustenance!

WordGeek

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
We went to dinner last night and I had fluffly mashed sweet potatoes with brown sugar and a splash of amaretto. Came with pork tenderloin and plum sauce and tasted awesome.

I couldn't get them to thell me how exactly he prepared the sweet potatoes, but might be worth experimenting. Yum!

tsumatachi_san

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I used to love them the most, but butternut squash is my new favourite :)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I get these all the time.

alexia_sweet_potato_fries1.jpg

I love them baked too.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm baking one right now. :) I pretty much eat one every day.

Now that's what I like to hear! ;)

Tis the holiday season, and sweet potatoes are currently on sale for $.40 a pound here. They have the white sweet potatoes, the garnets, and the beauregards. Here in cali, garnets are pretty much the only ones we have for most of the year. I know out in the midwest and south the beauregard is the most common. The garnet yams are very sweet, but also very moist. This makes them very poor for a lot of recipes that don't involve sweet potato puree, bcause the moist potatoes tend to fall apart when cooked. The beauregards are nearly as sweet but have significantly less moisture in them. They stay very firm when cooked.

Truth be told, I am just now figuring out that this is why I could never replicate my grandmother's candied yams/sweet potatoe recipe :p. The damn wedges always fell apart in the pan, and I pretty much gave up on it and resorted to baking them instead. It's nice to know it was mainly due to us using different types of sweet potatoes, and not my cooking skills :p . I've gotta say I prefer my potatoes to have less moisture, so the beauregards are more favorable than the garnets. Too bad they only seem to come around during the holiday season. I'm going to stock up on a few more pounds of them, cook them, and then freeze them.