• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I love sweet potatoes!

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
When it comes to eating sweet potatoes for dinner, I REALLY love combining them with my slow roasted pork recipe. The combination of flavors is just... heeeeavenly. It's like the flavor of both the meat and the potato is multiplied just by having them on the same plate :p . It works for me cus you can get a pork butt/shoulder for UBER cheap, and its a very tender, flavorful cut of meat. Usually you can buy it for about $1.50 per pound around here, though they have the prok on sale for 89 cents this week. That gets you a HUGE chunk of meat, enough to feed you for an entire week costing probably $7~$9 at that price. That's less than the price of 2 or 3 good sandwiches at a fast food restaurant.

I've never had sweet potato fries, but i really want to try some. I should look around to see who might have some. I've heard some tales and legends of nearby sweet potato fries...

WordGeek

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Always eyed them a bit suspiciously in the supermarket, until I tried sweet potato fries for the first time and found that I really like them. After reading this thread, I'm definitely hungry now and going to get some breakfast.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
3071384445_79aebeed1d.jpg

Best way to go imo

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Sweet Potato Fries:

Preheat oven to 400. Cut potatoes into 1/2" sticks. Coat pan (baking sheet or cake pan) with olive oil, then put it in the oven to warm for less than a minute. Take it out and throw in potatoes, tossing with the olive oil. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove and flip the potatoes. Bake 10 more minutes. Delish!

BlueinGreen

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I approve of this thread. I ate so many sweetpotatoes sophomore year of college that I turned orange from the beta carotene, especially on my face and hands. A lot of people thought I was using crappy self-tanner lol. I'm a guy and so I cut down a bit on the sweetpotatoes so as not to feed into this idea.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I approve of this thread. I ate so many sweetpotatoes sophomore year of college that I turned orange from the beta carotene, especially on my face and hands. A lot of people thought I was using crappy self-tanner lol. I'm a guy and so I cut down a bit on the sweetpotatoes so as not to feed into this idea.

Haha, are you serious!? Well I'm dark skinned, so i doubt anybody will notice if I eat them day and night :p .

Here's an interesting article I read about a new variety of sweet potato supposedly being developed:

Houston - Eating Our Words - A Sweeter Sweet Potato

Sounds good to me. I've mainly only had the one variety of sweet potatoes, the garnet yam. I'm sure there have been times in the past when I've mistakenly picked up other varieties at the store like the jewel yam. Right before I went on my first camping trip I bought a few sweet potatoes from the store for the campfire, but also saw for the first time real genuine YAMS being sold there. Real yams are not grown in the united states, they originate from Africa, and they are unrelated to sweet potatoes botanically. I bought a couple to try out for the first time. Unfortunately, I had no idea how exceedingly dry the things were, making them completely inappropriate for cooking over an open fire, even when wrapped in foil. Apparently genuine yams need to be boiled because they have a very low water content. The sweet potatoes, however, never tasted better. After hours of hiking and slaving away trying to set up camp before sunset, I was tired and hungry as hell, and I tell you those sweet potatoes tasted like they fell straight from heaven or something. :D

I really want to try purple (the flesh is actually purple!) yams someday if I can find them.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Just dug up the ones in my garden. Got more than enough to fill up a 5 quart ice cream bucket, despite the poorly prepared soil, rocks, and weeds. I don't think I got them all and will probably get some volunteers next year. I don't know what type I grew, but they seem sweeter than the ones I've bought at the store.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Just dug up the ones in my garden. Got more than enough to fill up a 5 quart ice cream bucket, despite the poorly prepared soil, rocks, and weeds. I don't think I got them all and will probably get some volunteers next year. I don't know what type I grew, but they seem sweeter than the ones I've bought at the store.

Take a picture, I'd like to see what you've grown :) . I'd grow them myself too (the old opnes always sprout in my cabinet anyway :/ ), but I don't have a garden or any earth to plant them in *sigh*

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I have a couple of sweet, sweet taters in the oven right this minute. Oh, yeah.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Love 'em. The kids love 'em. Everyone here loves 'em. I put a little maple syrup on them but I'll try honey, that sounds nice too.

Silly_Siren

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
They are the "uber tubers" IMO :D

Sweet potatoes, my first love! I'll eat them as a midnight snack, I'll eat them for dinner, I'll even eat them for breakfast. Not that I make a habit of sweet potatoes for breakfast, but one time I did. There's something magical in them.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:wubbie:

At what temperature and appox how long do you bake your sweet potato? I assume you wrap it in foil as well? I can grill 'em, but I've never gotten it right when I've tried to bake them in the oven. (Poking holes in them with a fork and running water over it, and then wrapping it in a paper towel and sticking it in the microwave just isn't the same thing.)

I guess I usually go with the classic brown sugar + butter. Sometimes I'll make candied sweet potatoes if I feel like making a dessert dish out of em. This thread has given me some delicious new ideas!

MBTI Type
INTJ
Despite being a minor foodie, the savory/sweet thing is something I have trouble with. I don't like sweet potatoes. There, I said it.

Soar337

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Mmmm yum !! Cut them into slices, drizzle them with a bit of oil, add salt and pepper and put them in the oven. Healthy fries ^^

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
:wubbie:

At what temperature and appox how long do you bake your sweet potato? I assume you wrap it in foil as well? I can grill 'em, but I've never gotten it right when I've tried to bake them in the oven. (Poking holes in them with a fork and running water over it, and then wrapping it in a paper towel and sticking it in the microwave just isn't the same thing.)

I guess I usually go with the classic brown sugar + butter. Sometimes I'll make candied sweet potatoes if I feel like making a dessert dish out of em. This thread has given me some delicious new ideas!

I just wrap mine in foil and bake them at no more than 350F. Making the oven too hot can make the sugars burn, which gives them a very bad flavor. Lower temps will make them caramelize nicely. Just cook them until they get completely soft (at that temp its hard to overcook them time wise).