• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yea, it just doesn't feel 'original' when I use that stuff. I want to make the 'real' thing so I can make it wherever I go. It's also like a difference of instant noodles to high class noodles you eat at fancy restaurants.

nynesneg

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
I was particularly disappointed when I forked out extra money and bought the fancy refrigerated noodles at the grocery store. Cheap Dry+Cooked spaghetti tastes better!

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree. Making the 'real thing' is much better.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Anyone now how to make some really good alfredo sauce?

It's super easy. This will serve 4 as a first course or 2 as a main course. If you are not serving that many, cut the recipe in half. It is disgusting as leftovers.

1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
9 ounces fresh fettuccine (fresh pasta is important, dry pasta just won't work right for fettucine alfredo.)
1 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese , grated (about 3/4 cup)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Simmer 1 cup of the heavy cream and the butter to simmer in a big saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently until mixture reduces to 2/3 cup, 12 to 15 minutes. Off heat, stir in remaining 1/2 cup cream, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.

Cook the fettucine 1 minute short of the instructions on the package and drain. Return cream mixture to simmer over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low and add pasta and Parmesan to cream mixture. Cook over low heat, tossing pasta with tongs to combine, until sauce coats pasta and pasta is just al dente and cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes. The sauce may look rather thin but will gradually thicken as pasta is served and eaten. Serve immediately.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Effem, what do you mean by fresh pasta? How does one get it?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's super easy. This will serve 4 as a first course or 2 as a main course. If you are not serving that many, cut the recipe in half. It is disgusting as leftovers.

1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
9 ounces fresh fettuccine (fresh pasta is important, dry pasta just won't work right for fettucine alfredo.)
1 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese , grated (about 3/4 cup)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Simmer 1 cup of the heavy cream and the butter to simmer in a big saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently until mixture reduces to 2/3 cup, 12 to 15 minutes. Off heat, stir in remaining 1/2 cup cream, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.

Cook the fettucine 1 minute short of the instructions on the package and drain. Return cream mixture to simmer over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low and add pasta and Parmesan to cream mixture. Cook over low heat, tossing pasta with tongs to combine, until sauce coats pasta and pasta is just al dente and cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes. The sauce may look rather thin but will gradually thicken as pasta is served and eaten. Serve immediately.
Oh thanks for this. Gonna print this out. Gonna try cook it tomorrow.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Effem, what do you mean by fresh pasta? How does one get it?

Fresh pasta is the soft kind that's sold refrigerated, as opposed to the dry pasta in a box. There are several supermarket brands (usually sold in 9oz packages) and you can get really good stuff at an Italian deli. Or if you're feeling ambitious you can even make it yourself. For the purposes of this recipe, the fresh pasta is more porous and absorbs the sauce better.

Curious1

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
The alfredo one looks like it'll be great! I've often wondered how they make it at Olive Garden - delicious!

Zucchini frittata is fantastic! There are quite a few different variations found online.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
ARRGH!

Okay...I can't find the thread I was looking for, and am too lazy to look longer.

Ladies, if this is in the wrong place let me know I'll take it off.

Anyone like curry?

Elapsed time 50 minutes.

:)

Ohhh, that looks wonderful!:D Is that Thai curry or Indian? I have some Chinese eggplant I need to use up. Any ideas?

I recently made a mung and cauliflower curry stew that was surprisingly tasty for it's simplicity.

I've been having so much fun making my own vanilla extract. I swear, the results are totally worth the little bit of effort. I've been putting it in a cookie recipe I got from Eowyn (she's on here sometimes), and they're amazing. :yes:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For the gourmet cooks here:

Naturally wood smoked olive oil | The Smoked Olive

It's expensive but ohmygosh sooooo good. :drool: I especially like the santa fe one. They are currently the only people in the country who are doing a naturally smoked oil and are fulfilling huge orders from top chefs. It has a really good taste.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I just made up something healthy and yummy:

I took a package of pre-prepared salmon, squeezed a quarter of a lemon on it, mixed it with a couple tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, threw in some chunks of left-over fresh tomato, a few teaspoons of capers (the small ones), and sprinkled generously with black pepper.

Then I spooned this on top of whole-grain brown bread toasted with melted white American cheese. I guess you could call it a slap-dash, ghetto variation on bruschetta, maybe?

at any rate - it's very tasty!

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I just made up something healthy and yummy:

I took a package of pre-prepared salmon, squeezed a quarter of a lemon on it, mixed it with a couple tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, threw in some chunks of left-over fresh tomato, a few teaspoons of capers (the small ones), and sprinkled generously with black pepper.

Then I spooned this on top of whole-grain brown bread toasted with melted white American cheese. I guess you could call it a slap-dash, ghetto variation on bruschetta, maybe?

at any rate - it's very tasty!

Sounds good! Yummmm! I might have gone for a blue cheese for added flavour :)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
In honor of Christmas: One-burner fried rice

Cooled, dry rice (from the night before, for example)
Egg
Shrimp
Frozen soybeans
Carrot, sliced
Canola Oil
Salt

Boil water in a small saucepan. Add soybeans, once they're thawed, add in the carrots, let them cook for a little, cover, and then take the saucepan off the burner (it will continue to cook after it's off the burner, so keep an eye on it). Whisk the egg, adding a bit of salt, oil a frying pan and fry the egg a little. Take the egg off, cut it into curds, and then clean the saucepan. Put the saucepan back on the burner, add more oil, add the shrimp and let them fry until cooked. Remove the shrimp, turn to medium-low heat, add more oil and rice. If the rice is sticking together, cut the block-o-rice into pieces. Strain the vegetables (they should be done by now). Mix up the rice, add some soy sauce to taste. Add the egg and shrimp, allow that to cook a bit longer, and then add the vegetables, stirring continuously. Serve.

If you keep kosher, you can use a kosher meat, like beef or chicken, but in that case, you may want to cook it the night before along with the rice because shrimp does not take long to cook compared to them.

Liason

I'm more offensive in person!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
IMG_5593.jpg

I don't remember, I was cooking from inspiration ;]

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
More healthy goodness!

I recently have discovered the concept of balancing fast carbs and slow carbs with protein. Of course the best way to do this is with whole grains.

If you mix Grape Nuts cereal with a handful of pecans and some sliced strawberries, throw in some Splenda and dash of cinnamon (helps metabolism and blood sugar) and douse in fat-free milk, it is sooooooo yummy and is a good balance of protein and carbs.

Also, there's this version of bruchetta: sliced tomatoes with sliced mozzarella on whole grain "sprouted" toast topped with basil leaves, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar (also helps metabolism and blood sugar) it is delicious and balanced.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
OMGZ this is so delicious and easy you must try it!

I'm trying to incorporate more vegetarian food into my diet at the moment, and I saw a recipe for chickpea tacos and messed with it and came up with this yummy dish.

1 to 2 cans of chickpeas (depending on how many you are cooking for)
1 can of Rotel tomatoes and peppers (only use half the can for 1 can of chickpeas)
a packet of taco spice (again, only use half if you're only cooking 1 can chickpeas)
whole-wheat pitas
shredded lettuce
Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream (or dairy sour cream if you prefer to be less veg)
splashes of lime juice

1. Drain and rinse chickpeas. warm the chickpeas with the rotel, taco spice, and lime juice in a pan or the microwave until nice and warm - make sure to stir and mix thoroughly
2. fill pita pockets with chickpea mixture, plenty of shredded lettuce, and a couple dollops of "sour cream"

I happen to really love chickpeas, but I couldn't believe how good this is! I will be eating it for days! It only has about 350 or so calories per portion even with a generous serving of tofu sour cream and is relatively low in fat and high in fiber.