• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
well, if it becomes worthy of one, I'll cull it back out.

Jamabalaya yep... one of my favourites.. I make it much like a spanish paella, but make sure I start with the cajun holy trinity. The trick is to use good quality fresh chorizo, or a decent smokey sausage if not.

Yeah, me too, most of the time. I just went to the store and bought all the stuff I need to make it :D And i'm going to put shellfish in it, too, like paella. :) I am just about to put on my apron and do it ^^

Oh, and I edited the thread title.. maybe that will appease ya. Meh.

Thank you, kind sir :smile:

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Yeah, me too, most of the time. I just went to the store and bought all the stuff I need to make it :D And i'm going to put shellfish in it, too, like paella. :) I am just about to put on my apron and do it ^^

Don't overcook the shellfish. If it's prawns, just lay them on the top when it's done and let them steam through with the lid on. Lots of fresh lemon juice, too, over them.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks for the tip =) Sounds like a smart way to do it. My stuff is almost done now, and it tastes godlike :D

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
053107-crayfishetouffee.jpg

That looks really, *really* good! There's this cajun/creole place downtown here that I've not been to in 10 years or so... you're tempting me to go make a visit :D.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That looks really, *really* good! There's this cajun/creole place downtown here that I've not been to in 10 years or so... you're tempting me to go make a visit :D.

Do that :D That particular dish is called crawfish ètouffée.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Do that :D That particular dish is called crawfish ètouffée.

Works quite well with langoustine (scampi) tails, if you can get them. Actually if you can get the discovery range of sauces the "Kickin' Cajun" sauce is a great base for this.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think Cajun food is great and just love Jambalaya; the many varieties are mindblowing.

For an added bit of zing I add hot sauce from Jamaica, made from scotch bonnet chilli. Add it at the rice and stock stage.

enc-original.jpg

It's still here! I promise. :happy:

Man. I have like a ton of jambalaya left since yesterday, even though i've eaten it like three times since yesterday evening (x_X) I'm a fool. I actually went to the store and bought more stuff to make even MOAR Jambalaya!! :cheese:

I have a few variations in my head that I want to examine closer :wubbie:
Gonna put some chopped baby corn in it, and some other stuff. More garlic.

Oh, and they were out of Chipotle hot sauce, so I went with McIlhenny tabasco sauce. Kind of like that one, too.

Why do I get stuck on things like this? :D It's weird. I will probably be eating this for a week or more, until I think i'm somewhat good at it. Then I will save the recipe and do it when there are people around. :)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm Cajun and I'll add to this soon so hopefully it can gets it's own thread. :D

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Orange, Sultana and Honey Bread. (I made this recipe up myself)

Put ingredients into breadmaker in this order :

1 small sachet of fast acting yeast
500g of strong white bread flour
2 tbsp milk powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp honey
250ml water
100ml orange juice (I used blood orange juice)

Bake on a raisin bread setting, and when the beep for fruit goes, add

75g of sultanas (dried)

Toast and enjoy!

Delicious!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yummmy delicious baked ziti
1 (16 oz) package ziti
1 lb spicy italian sausage (crumbled)
1/2 onion chopped
1 (18 oz) jar tomato sauce
6 oz fresh mozerlla
6 oz sliced provolone
1 1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 parmasean
fresh basil (chopped)
preheat oven 350
cook pasta til al dente
brown sausage. add onions cook til tender. add tomato sauce simmer 15 minutes. in 2 quart pan add half the pasta. top with half mozerella and half provelone half the sauce and half the sour cream add rest of pasta, mozerella, provelone, sour cream.top with parmesean and basil bake at 350 farenheight 30 minutes until cheese and sauce is bubbly

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I have recently discovered the wonder of grits. I've lived in the South my whole life and I've had them periodically, but only in the past two or three months have I come to actually enjoy (and, in fact, relish) them.

I haven't made this yet but it's supposed to be one of the best shrimp & grits recipes known to man. It's from Crook's Corner, a restaurant in Chapel Hill that elevates Southern cooking to rich-people food without sacrificing soul. Bill Neal put the place on the map in the 80s and after his death, his protege Bill Smith took over. This is Bill Neal's recipe which I plan to try this week.

Shrimp and Grits

2 cups water
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
3/4 cup half-and-half
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup grits
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
3 slices bacon
1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup flour
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup sliced green onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
lemon wedge

Directions

Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually whisk in grits; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickened; add cheddar cheese and next 4 ingredients; set aside but keep warm.

Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserve 1 tablespoon of drippings in skillet; crumble bacon and set aside.

Sprinkle shrimp with pepper and salt; dredge in flour.

Saute mushrooms in hot drippings in skillet 5 minutes, or until tender; add green onions and saute 2 minutes; add shrimp and garlic and saute 2 minutes or until shrimp are lightly brown; stir in chicken broth, lemon juice and hot sauce and cook 2 more minutes, stirring to loosen browned bits from skillet.

Divide grits into 4 large, shallow soup bowls; divide shrimp mixture into four servings and place on top of grits; top each serving with crumbled bacon and serve with lemon wedges.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm with you on the shrimp, but can't stand grits.I wonder if I adjusted the cooking time if I could use rice instead, I mean it might work with some adjustments. Not the same though but I seriously can't stand the texture of grits. no that wouldn't work, never mind.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, man, just leave it alone if you're not gonna eat grits. Don't mess with perfection!

Who doesn't like shrimp and grits? Iz you crayzee??

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
because grits are fucking nasty, that's why the pure site of them make me induce a gag reflex.

besides if no one ever messed with perfection, we'd still be limited in the world.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I've never tried grits, and never seen them for sale or otherwise available. So that recipe will have to go untried!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Next time you're in the states come to Chapel Hill and we'll go get some grits together, Geoff. :)

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't know what grits are, but I'd eat that shrimp dish above. Sounds delicious. I'm a big fan of the southern style US food I've eaten. Any cuisine that uses so much bacon fat gets a big thumbs up from me.

Btw, anyone got a good, authentic recipe for pastitsio? Any Greek people here?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I don't know what grits are, but I'd eat that shrimp dish above. Sounds delicious. I'm a big fan of the southern style US food I've eaten. Any cuisine that uses so much bacon fat gets a big thumbs up from me.

Btw, anyone got a good, authentic recipe for pastitsio? Any Greek people here?

Pasticcio? :devil: I had a good one half way up a mountain on the Greek Island of Crete. I suppose it's a long way to go for dinner though.