• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Geoff's Paella Sunrise

Made this last night. Fun recipe, and takes me back to the Spanish Med that so far this year I have missed going to. I regret this, and the paella I made last night helped :party2:

This recipe is a modified version of one I found in a daily newspaper.

Geoff's Paella Sunrise.

Ingredients (4 medium portions)

One large red onion, finely chopped
Chorizo or other spicy spanish (possibly Italian) sausage, about 200g (1/2 lb)
Mixed seafood, about 1/2 lb (I used a ready to eat selection of mussels, squid and king prawns (shrimp).
2 tbsp olive oil
2 large pinches of saffron, softened in 1 tbsp of boiling water.
350g of paella/arborio rice (about 12oz?)
1 tin 400g (12 oz or so) chopped tomatoes
3 large roasted red peppers (I used pimentos in a jar, ready roasted in brine). I also used 2 peppadew mini peppers as I like the spiciness they add.
4 cloves of garlic, crushed.
1 litre (2 pints) chicken stock, good quality, boiling.
3 tbsp of chopped cilantro/coriander (or flat leaf parsley for the coriander haters).
1 large lemon

Instructions :

In a large wide bottomed pan (paella pan if you have one), cook the onion in the olive oil over a medium heat until soft, not coloured.
Add the chorizo and garlic, cook for a further 5 minutes until the oil is released from the meat.
Add the peppers and cook for a further two minutes.
Add the saffron, tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes
Add the rice and stir until well coated in the mixture.
Add the boiling stock, the juice of one half of the lemon and all the seafood (note, if the seafood includes raw squid, add earlier so that it cooks through. If it is just prawn, add later as they cook quickly).
Season well with salt and pepper, and add the coriander.
Bring to the boil, then turn down heat and simmer for 20 minutes until rice has absorbed nearly all the liquid.
Switch off heat, and leave for 5 minutes to absorb remaining liquid and has cooled slightly.

Serve in large bowls with wedges of the other half of the lemon, a couple of fresh coriander leaves and enjoy! Spanish red wine, a rioja or similar would go well with this, as would a bold white wine.

Real taste of Spain, there.

-Geoff

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
Nitric acid
Sulfuric Acid
Glycerin

Mix in a cylinder with cooling....whoops, you meant food recipe.

(I don't have any really complex recipes that I know, most of them are along the mines of "mix some ingredients, heat, and stir.")

Shimpei

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Layered chicken breast slices and shredded cheese wrapped in bacon slices:
P2240122.jpg

sliced up when chilled: YUM!
P2240130.jpg

Chocolate mousse made with white and dark chocolate:
P2240123.jpg

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
All I want to know, Shimpei, is who ate all that food with you? :cry:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Moved from Arts & Entertainment.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Geoff's Spanish Fish bake and potatoes (also known as healthy fish and chips Espana).

If, like I did tonight, you find ourself just for once alone in the evening and wanting to treat yourself, do try the following. My own recipe, and rather delicious though I say it myself! Multiply up if you are going to serve others.

For 1 serving...

1 x 300g of good quality sustainable white fish fillet. I used haddock.
Either 1 1/2 tsp of mixed herbs for grilled fish, or make your own mixture up with :
(-juice of half a lemon and a few scrapings of zest
-1/2 tsp turmeric
-1/2 tsp fennel
-1 garlic clove finally chopped or dried onion granules if you aren't garlic friendly.)
6 extra thin slices of spanish chorizo (this is the spicy, smoky, spanish sausage, should be wafer thin. You could also use prosciutto but if you do sprinkle some smoked paprika on top).

Heat oven to 200c. Place fish onto a baking tray, and sprinkle herbs on fish and squeeze juice of lemon if using. Tear four slices of the chorizo into strips and layer over the top of the fish until covered like a blanket.

Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until succulent and tasty.

Meanwhile, take 1 small tin of new potatoes in water, drain them and chop into small cubes. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil into a pan until smoking hot and throw in potatoes, together with remaining two slices of chorizo torn into pieces. Add 1 tbsp of mixed herbs (paprika would be good too). Sauté potatoes for 10 minutes or so while fish bakes.

Serve potatoes with baked chorizo spicy fish. Delicious and mediterranean. Feel virtuous (probably < 500 calories and very little fat).

-Geoff

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP
Awesome Ahi

Since the weather's decided to stop pissing rain every 6 seconds here, I had the chance to chill out and grill some stuff this past weekend. I'm not of the School of Extreme Weights and Measures, instead preferring to cook somewhat haphazardly, so don't expect a whole bunch of precision in this recipe. :D

1. Get your hands on some sashimi grade Ahi -- mine was in steaks that were about 3/4" thick.

2. Slash/score the fish lightly on both sides with a sharp knife.

3. Put ahi into a ziplock bag [or whatever you prefer to marinate things in].

4. Add a healthy dash of single malt scotch, soy sauce, finely chopped fresh ginger, smashed fresh garlic, and a dash of Sriracha hot chili sauce [or your preferred zippy/hot spice].

5. In a bowl, toss in enough olive oil for basting stuff on the grill, freshly smashed garlic cloves, cracked black pepper, and a dash of salt.

6. Chop up veggies of choice for grilling. I had leeks, sweet potatoes, fresh ears of corn, poblano peppers, shallots, Anaheim peppers, big fat portobello 'shrooms, #1015 onions [sweet], and Hungarian Wax peppers.

7. Grill and baste veggies until done to your satisfaction. [For example, the sweet potatoes take longer than most of the other veggies, so you might want to start them first...]. Toss into an oven safe pan/plate, and set the oven to keep them warm.

8. Grill the marinated Ahi over high heat. Sear those fishy bastards pretty good [prolly no more than 3 minutes per side], and baste frequently with whatever is left of the marinade, plus a little olive oil to stretch it [if need be]. I like my Ahi to be quite a bit towards the rare side [hence the use of sashimi grade fish], but you can cook it longer if you want, obviously. Just don't turn the beautiful fish into shoe leather, eh? ;)

9. Serve grilled Ahi with veggies. I often make a pot of jasmine rice cooked in chicken stock with a dash of garam masala and a huge batch of salad [usually herb salad or spring mix] to go along with everything else.

Red and white wines go equally well with this meal. Hell, even frosty beers and vodka tonics are nice with it.

Zhash

Spicy Baked Shrimp

1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Magic
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 pound uncooked extra large shrimp, shelled, deveined

Lemon wedges
French bread

Combine first 7 ingredients in 9x13-inch baking dish. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Refrigerate 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 450 Bake until shrimp are cooked through, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.

Garnish with lemon wedges and serve shrimp with French bread. It's great over rice, too.

Zhash

P2240122.jpg

P2240130.jpg

P2240123.jpg

Holy, Moly.....you are GOOD! I'm starved and this looks absolutely divine.
You go....girl! Send me the recipes.

Sorry, I can't send you a photo of my Spicy Baked Shrimp because I'm in the process of having a total renovation of my kitchen. Actually, as I write, I have no kitchen. It's just a room sheet rocked with a hardwood floor. There's no sink, no refrigerator, no stove, no dishwasher, no microwave, no cabinets, no counters, etc. The flooring place just finished installing a new Sapele hardwood floor. All the rough plumbing and electrical is in. The sheet rock is done. Next step is the cabinet installation followed by the honed granite. I've been living in a mess like this since June 19th. So, what time is dinner?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Mellow Malaysian Salmon (serves 2).

Did this combo tonight...

3 125g sachets of ready to wok Udon noodles.
1 jar Rendang Malaysian curry sauce (or make up your own mixture, but this is meant to be quick and mellow)
8 ready cooked king prawns/large peeled shrimp
2 fillets wild alaskan salmon
teriyaki sauce
1 lime
1 hot bbq or chimenea (wood smoke is best)
2 bottles of raspberry wheat ale

This is a bit simpler than some of my other recipes, but believe me, it works :)

Heat wok, throw in king prawns and rendang sauce, leave them simmering very gently
Brush fish with teriyaki sauce and squeeze over 1/2 of the lime.
Put fish over bbq for 10 mins until just cooked through
add the noodles to the rendang and prawn sauce
add juice of other half of the lime
stir well and simmer down until noodles are thickly coated with rendang sauce and prawns are soft and yummy.
Pour each raspberry wheat beer over 3 ice cubes into a belgian beer glass (like a cognac glass with a stem)

Serve outdoors, bbq'd salmon over the rendang and prawn noodles. The fish is robust enough to survive the heat of the rendang, and the sour sharp raspberry beer cuts through both when you need refreshing.

Ensure the fire is crackling away while you eat this outdoors.

Optional : a handful of indonesian crackers would go well with it.

-Geoff

PS I know this is little more than a "put it together" but not everyone likes complex recipes (also you could make the rendang sauce from a recipe if you are brave.. me I wanted to relax by the chimenea with the beer).

Shimpei

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
P5200342.jpg

The grilled cheese didn't come off as nicely as I wanted, I mean it melted and got crumbly, anyway, it tasted good.
So Grilled cheese and veggies, eggplant dip and some crispbread.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
P2240122.jpg

P2240130.jpg

P2240123.jpg

Now that's a meal instant heart attacks are made of.

Usehername

On a mission
Okay, this stuff is genius.

My meals, on the rare occasion that there's no one home to make it for me (I clean... I clean... don't get mad) consists of:

1 glass of V8 juice
1 bowl cereal with Rice Milk (I'm dairy allergic; yes it tastes as bad as it sounds)
and sometimes I have a Freezee for dessert.

I do know how to cook all sorts of eggs. I don't know how to do much more than that. I hope I learn before I move out. And I made a roast once, and my mother taught me how to make Quiche. My mother and I learned that if we avoid cooking together, we are on good terms. So I've never really learned.

Does anyone know of sites with Recipes For Incompetent Cooks for when I move out next year? I have plenty of potential, but no desire to learn when people do it for me and I genuinely enjoy cleaning to pitch in my share.

Usehername

On a mission
And Shimpei, can I ask what goes in between the chicken breasts & at what temp & for how long you cook it? (You bake that in the oven, right?) (And the bacon strips go on top while they're still raw?)

That one looks very do-able for me. I might even put the cheese on it and have a minor allergic reaction it -- looks like a real meal I can create.

You look like a genius. I wish I knew already how to cook; my first year out is going to be not so tasty.