• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

Proctor

MBTI Type
INTJ
Made myself some shepherds pie. A lot tastier than the microwavable stuff I loved so much in college.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Cream soup of zucchini and pepper. Aw meals that practically make themselves...

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
Cooking with my mom, learning some ~Eastern Euro dishes. Just made this bacon wrapped meatloaf thing:
terina-1-.jpg

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
CVjWRDlU4AE2A5k.jpg

beef souvlaki sans pita cuz i thought it would make the meal too heavy, lemon dill rice, and my mom made the cucumbers which are red onion, olive oil, and red wine vinegar.

also the couch and plate are both from the 60s and 70s

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Re-heated leftover butternut squash that I roasted earlier this week, and leftover thick-cut sweet potato fries from dinner out yesterday, then soft-boiled two eggs, topped the squash/potatoes with them, and topped it all off with sriracha tabasco.

Not really cooking, but it tasted lovely and met my needs.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
CXFPMhrWAAELQKv.jpg

peppermint cake nervous about how it's gonna be the icing is really good at least, you make a white chocolate custard then turn it into a butter cream. worried about the cake being too dry. but first time making this recipe and if it tastes good i can tweak it next time and put crushed candy canes between the layers

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
my contribution to brunch

they're baking now, but they have italian seasoning, paprika, olive oil, salt and pepper one of my favorite roasted potatoes but really simple recipe. basicaly you cube the potatoes put them in a gallon ziploc add everything else shake dump onto cookie sheet and bake in a 400 degree oven for 45 mins-1 hr

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Teriyaki Stir-Fried Beef with Green Beans and Shiitakes by America's Test Kitchen

I left out the green beans and the shiitakes, but it still turned out good. I'm doing something wrong with the stir-fry though. I get a ton of liquid whenever I fry beef and then the meat comes out tough (like today).

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Japanese Beef Curry from a food blog recipe. It's so, so good. I'm eating it right now. The secret ingredient is the grated apple.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Teriyaki Stir-Fried Beef with Green Beans and Shiitakes by America's Test Kitchen

I left out the green beans and the shiitakes, but it still turned out good. I'm doing something wrong with the stir-fry though. I get a ton of liquid whenever I fry beef and then the meat comes out tough (like today).

Put less beef in the wok, even if you need to do it in a few stages. Tossing the beef with a bit of cornstarch will also cut down on the liquid.

"Wok Hay" is an expression I had never heard but it applies big time to stir fries and Cantonese food in general.

Wok Hay

The more I read the more I realized these foods and dishes really need technique. And authentic ingredients.

This blog has great recipes, technique and ingredient help and they know what wok hay is.

The Woks of Life - a culinary genealogy

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
ceecee said:
Put less beef in the wok, even if you need to do it in a few stages. Tossing the beef with a bit of cornstarch will also cut down on the liquid.

Come to think of it, I did pack the 12 inch skillet with the beef and cook it all in one batch. I did the same today with the short rib pieces for the curry. The curry itself is delicious but the meat is tough.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Japanese Beef Curry from a food blog recipe. It's so, so good. I'm eating it right now. The secret ingredient is the grated apple.

Sounds delicious!

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Come to think of it, I did pack the 12 inch skillet with the beef and cook it all in one batch. I did the same today with the short rib pieces for the curry. The curry itself is delicious but the meat is tough.

Baking soda is another tenderizing choice (add a pinch to the marinade) and I think it works very well.

This is the best dish for this time of year. Give it a try and see if you have more success.

Mongolian Beef Recipe - The Woks of Life

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
ceecee said:
This is the best dish for this time of year. Give it a try and see if you have more success.

Thanks. I visited that site about 2 months ago and have that recipe. I made another Mongolian beef recipe last month that didn't quite match my expectations but was still good.