• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

Doktorin Zylinder

LimeCheesecake.png

I made lime cheesecake, yesterday. It was a stove top one with gelatin because I was being lazy and didn't want to do the baked one that takes three hours to cook properly. It's very limey.

Doktorin Zylinder

So, ramen seems to be popular. It's one of my favorite luncheon meals.

The following have been over the last week.

ramen2.png

Leftover medium-rare rib eye, snow peas, baby corn, carrots, broccoli, cremini, jalapeno, and scallion in a beef soy broth.

wonton1.png

Wonton soup and it's difficult to see the wontons. There's some green peas in there, too.

ramen3.png

Grilled salmon with a teriyaki glaze and crispy skin, carrots, snow peas, radish, and scallions in a vegetable ponzu broth.

I might like it a little too much. It's a good thing I have a high metabolism.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I haven't made it yet but i plan to this week posting for [MENTION=23222]senza tema[/MENTION]
Grilled Corn and Roasted Garlic Flan
  • 2 TBS melted unsalted butter
  • 1 head of garlic
  • 1 1/2 c grilled corn kernels or frozen
  • 1 1/2 cs half and half or milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
  • nutmeg
  • pinch of cayenne pepper
  • splash of your favorite hot sauce (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp sugar, or to taste
  • 4 springs italiant parsley, for garnish
  1. Preheat oven to 350 f
  2. brush six 4-oz ramekins with some of the melted butter. Chill the ramekins in the freezer until the butter sets, about 5 minutes, brush again. or can be sprayed or coated with oil
  3. roast the head of garlic in its skin a small roasting pan until soft, about 45 mins. let cool. leave oven on
  4. Cut the garlic crosswise in half and squeeze the pulp out of the skins into a bowl and mash with a fork
  5. whisk in the corn, half-half,eggs,egg yolks, salt and pepper, nutmeg cayenne, and hot sauce. If the corn isn't particularly sweet ad the the sugar. spoon into ramekins
  6. bring 1 qt water to boil. place ramekins in a small roasting pan. pour boiling water to a depth of 1/2in. loosely cover the pan with foil. bake until set and skewer comes out clean, 25 to 35 minutes
  7. remove the ramekins from water let stand for 3 minutes, before unmolding.

grilled corn
  • 8 ears fresh sweet corn
  • 1/4 to 1/2 c melted butter or olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. preheat grill to medium hot
  2. shuck corn and brush with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper
  3. grill the corn. basting corn with butter to keep it moist and turning the ears to brown the kernels evenly. until cooked about 5 minutes

from Miami Spice

Kas

Fabula rasa
I baked chocolate soufflés.

It was my second attempt and this time it was perfect. So yes I'm very proud of myself:D

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just made the nastiest gluten-free cookies of all time.

Free tip: Don't buy Bob's Red Mill gluten-free baking flour, ever, ever, ever. It tastes like bean sprouts.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I made coconut rice which i hadn't forgotten how amazing it is btw.

and brocolli with lemon juice and butter

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I made coconut rice which i hadn't forgotten how amazing it is btw.

and brocolli with lemon juice and butter

Ooh, that sounds yummy! Do you cook it in coconut milk?

I made two batches of boysenberry jam. Gave myself a second degree burn in the process.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Ooh, that sounds yummy! Do you cook it in coconut milk?

I made two batches of boysenberry jam. Gave myself a second degree burn in the process.

the recipe is
  • 2 tbs butter or oil
  • 2 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 2 tsp ginger (minced)
  • 1.5 cup long grain white rice
  • 1 c UNSWEETENED coconut milk (about 1/2 can)
  • 1.5 c water
  • salt
  1. 1.heat butter or oil in bottom of pan
  2. Saute garlic and ginger for a minute
  3. add the rice saute for a minute until shiny
  4. add the rest of the stuff. bring to a boil. turn heat down to a simmer cover and cook for 20 minutes until rice is done

Doktorin Zylinder

lobsteravocadograpefruitsalad.png

This was dinner this evening. A salad of poached lobster, avocado, ruby grapefruit, bacon, toasted almonds, shallot, chives, Boston butter lettuce, and frisée with a champagne vinaigrette.

Last edited:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Attempting to bake multigrain bread. It might be horrible. We Shall See.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Attempting to bake multigrain bread. It might be horrible. We Shall See.

Good luck! I'm sure it will come out great. But, don't be discouraged if it's not perfect the first time. Bread baking is a trial and error kind of thing. So many variables from kitchen to kitchen.

Which kind of yeast did you end up using? I saw your pin about substituting.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Update: the dough barely rose in like three hours, and it's 11pm, so I threw it out. :( No bread for EJ.

Which kind of yeast did you end up using? I saw your pin about substituting.
Substituted active dry yeast (which I had) for instant yeast (which I didn't). Let it sit in warm water for a bit beforehand, to make up for the fact that it wasn't instant -- most likely should have had that step last for MUCH longer. Overnight, maybe.

Good luck! I'm sure it will come out great. But, don't be discouraged if it's not perfect the first time. Bread baking is a trial and error kind of thing. So many variables from kitchen to kitchen.
And from recipe to recipe!

Next time I'm using a recipe that actually calls for the things that I use :laugh:

Last edited:

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Update: the dough barely rose in like three hours, and it's 11pm, so I threw it out. :( No bread for EJ.

Substituted active dry yeast (which I had) for instant yeast (which I didn't). Let it sit in warm water for a bit beforehand, to make up for the fact that it wasn't instant -- most likely should have had that step last for MUCH longer. Overnight, maybe.

No, I wouldn't leave it for longer than 10 minutes. Did you put sugar in the water? It needs food. I generally stir some sugar into the water and sprinkle a bit on top. Approximately what temperature was the room where the dough was supposed to rise?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No, I wouldn't leave it for longer than 10 minutes. Did you put sugar in the water? It needs food. I generally stir some sugar into the water and sprinkle a bit on top. Approximately what temperature was the room where the dough was supposed to rise?
The instructions didn't say to add sugar, so I didn't. :/

Room temperature was approx. 76 degrees?

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The instructions didn't say to add sugar, so I didn't. :/

Room temperature was approx. 76 degrees?

Interesting. All my recipes proof with sugar. I generally prefer to use Instant/Highly Active yeast though, more reliable.

I generally let mine rise covered with a clean towel, in a turned off oven with a pot of boiling water in it. That way all the steamy warmth gets trapped inside the oven and the yeast gets happy.

gromit

likes this
I made this, and it was amazing.

Had to make a couple substitutions based on what I had on hand and on the availability at the grocery section of my local target superstore, but I fortunately had the unsweetened shredded coconut, and I have to say that toasted coconut with garlic is a miraculous combination that everyone should try at least once in their lives (and then they'll probably wanna eat it many more times subsequently).

:drool:

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
A spaghetti meat sauce from an allegedly authentic Italian recipe. Very flavorful, but a bit too much olive oil for my taste; made 3 quarts of it just because I didn't want to do math.