• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
you had to be friends with people getting married, when you could be here getting fat on the couch and watching dexter. that's your own fault
The lesson, then, would appear to be obvious: Don't have friends.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I bought Bruce Fife's Coconut Flour book - Cooking with Coconut Flour: A Delicious Low-Carb, Gluten-Free Alternative to Wheat: Bruce Fife: 9780941599887: Amazon.com: Books

Tried the Peanut Butter muffins and Coconut Bread this weekend. Neither of them actually rose. I think I made an error in the order of ingredients mixing ... and the salt/baking powder probably didn't get distributed around or dissolved as it should. So more experimentation to be had. The end result was still pretty tasty, if a tad dry (coconut flour is like that - Bruce recommends adding more fat to moisten if needed, or I just drink something with it or use it to sop up egg yolk or sauce.)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
7s4iGvs.jpg

nom nom nom

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Made more coconut flour peanut butter muffins... this time remembering the sugar. Made them earlier @ lunchtime without it. Oops.

Meanwhile, I think I will try the crepe or pancake recipe from this book. Also want to bake a coffee cake. I don't think I've honestly baked a cake once in my life!

Also- those coconut flour recipes rise much nicer when you *follow the directions* and put the salt in the wet ingredient bowl, baking powder mixed/sifted in with the coconut flour before whisking.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Made coconut flour crepes with some shredded cheese inside this morning. This is my 3rd time using the recipe, I like how simple it is. It definitely needs a non-stick pan IMO; seasoned cast iron doesn't quite cut it.

It also needs a larger pan than what I was using... we have a large teflon pan but it's looking a bit sketchy, so I may prefer to replace it. Anyone have experience with those newfangled white "ceramic non-stick" pans I keep seeing at costco/kitchen supply stores/wegmans overpriced seasonal & misc section?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Had a belated St. Patrick's Day party yesterday! My three contributions:

Steak and Ale Pie - Foodness Gracious
- Used bacon instead of pancetta because I had it lying around

Irish Immigrant Stew | Drick's Rambling Cafe
- Added the potatoes at the same time as the beef, because the last time I made it they didn't cook enough
- Didn't add as much flour as I should have, so it wasn't a very thick broth

Chocolate Beer Cupcakes With Whiskey Filling And Irish Cream Icing Recipe - Allrecipes.com
- made two servings of frosting because one was NOT enough for all those cupcakes

The stew was good, the pie was REALLY good, and the cupcakes, as usual, were absolutely the freaking best ever. They are in the top three best kinds of cupcakes I have ever eaten.

violett

I made homemade peach/mango salsa the night before last, and yesterday crustless spinach/mushroom/feta quiche...

salsa_zpse04qhc7h.jpg

crustless-spinach-quiche-whole_zpsibtsq2ws.jpg

And tonite its balsamic/caprese salad...

caprese_zps9m3fgxmx.jpg

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is the first (successful) thing I have ever made independently in my life.

2i7nxog.jpg

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
About the only thing I can cook right now is ramen noodles. *curses living in a dorm with no stove* But yeah at home... Generally its my brother and mother who do the cooking. All that food looks delicious though, this thread should be outlawed.

Anyways, I dabble here and there. Make a pretty mean Mac and Cheese, omelets, cakes, and cookies. Although I always get fun of when I make cakes, because they end up covered kindergartenish designs. Ill take a pic next time.

gromit

likes this
Every time I want to post here, it is mainly for [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION]. I don't know why, but I must just really want her validation.

This past weekend I made some soup with lentils and mixed grains (in a bag from TJs) and mushrooms that were about to go bad. Some chopped onions rounded it out nicely.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION] That is especially strange and funny to me because I feel like your cooking is a LOT more complicated and interesting than mine. For example I have never done the mixed grains thing. What do they taste like? Are they better than brown/wild rice or quinoa?

p.s. Here is some validation :cheers: because that soup sounds great. Like healthy, cold-weather comfort food.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Scrambled egg omelette breakfast burrito! No really, I did.

Cook 1 scrambled egg, set aside.
Prepare a 2 egg omelette, fill with the scrambled egg, shredded mild cheddar, a dash of garlic powder, crushed red pepper, and favorite hot sauce.
Wrap the resulting omelette in a tortilla to make it a burrito

gromit

likes this
[MENTION=9486]gromit[/MENTION] That is especially strange and funny to me because I feel like your cooking is a LOT more complicated and interesting than mine. For example I have never done the mixed grains thing. What do they taste like? Are they better than brown/wild rice or quinoa?

p.s. Here is some validation :cheers: because that soup sounds great. Like healthy, cold-weather comfort food.

Heheheh. thank you for the validation.

The grains are called "Brown Rice Medley" (you can see it on the website if you scroll down to "Rice Blends") and it has brown rice, black barley, daikon radish seeds. I think it is the radish seeds? that give it a nice crunch even when it is cooked.

And no way, you cook really interesting stuff, I'm pinterest friends with you!

- - - Updated - - -

Scrambled egg omelette breakfast burrito! No really, I did.

Cook 1 scrambled egg, set aside.
Prepare a 2 egg omelette, fill with the scrambled egg, shredded mild cheddar, a dash of garlic powder, crushed red pepper, and favorite hot sauce.
Wrap the resulting omelette in a tortilla to make it a burrito

scrambled egg wrapped in an omelette, wrapped in a tortilla, wrapped in an enigma?

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
scrambled egg wrapped in an omelette, wrapped in a tortilla, wrapped in an enigma?
And portable, too.

I just find it neat to bite through all those slightly different textures and then have them meld together.