• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

gromit

likes this
Fried egg on top of leftovers: chickpeas/sweet potato/kale in a spicy tomato-based sauce (ginger, coriander, cumin, etc)

I swear eggs + sweet potato is one of the winningest flavor combinations of all food, ever.

Eggs + tomato is up there too.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
My Japanesque style omelette stuffed with ham and pepperjack cheese.

11wetjb.jpg

It is Japanesque due to the method of cooking - this one has three layers of egg cooked from the inside out, the way a Japanese omelette is cooked by putting some egg in and letting it cook, folding it, then putting more egg in so it cooks a new layer. This allows it to be many times thicker than a usual omelette without becoming unevenly cooked.

This one is about twice as thick as a typical omelette but it's possible to go much thicker than that.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
OK here's my favourite dessert recipe guys. The original is from BrewNation.com, but I've made changes that I feel improve the mousse. Anyway:

Chocolate & Stout Mousse

250g dark (70%) couverture chocolate*
100g butter
2/3 cup imperial stout*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
4 large separated eggs
1/4 cup caster sugar
200ml tub creme friache
1/2 cup whipping cream

Put the chocolate and butter into a double boiler or a heatproof bowl in a pot of simmering water. Stir until melted. Remove from the heat.

Whisk the stout and egg yolks together and then whisk them into the chocolate mixture. Then whisk in the vanilla and salt. Cool for 5 minutes.

While it’s cooling chuck the egg whites into an electric mixer with a whisk attachment and hit them with high speed until they are soft peaks. Then slowly add the sugar and it should become thick and shiny, just like making a Pav. Slowly and very carefully fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture until it’s only just combined (doesn’t matter if it’s still marbled in colour). Don’t over mix it otherwise the whites will lose volume and it will liquify.

Now you need to repeat the same process with the cream and creme friache. Pop them into the electric mixer together and using the whisk bang the mixture on high till it’s stiff. Slowly fold it into the chocolate mixture until completely combined.

Refrigerate the mousse for at least three hours before serving.

Serve with another glass of something dark and decadent.

----

*You can buy couverture from delis and online stores, it is chocolate with a higher fat content which makes it superior for cooking. Also, please try and use imperial stout for this as opposed to ordinary stout - the higher alcohol content (8-10%) means it holds its own against all the cream. In New Zealand, many supermarkets and liquor stores have imperial stouts but that may vary elsewhere. To be sure, order online and drink what you don't need for the mousse. Here is a good UK site for example: Search results for: 'Imperial Stout'

Last edited:

capslock

MBTI Type
INFP
toasting almonds…i'm so hooked on these it's ridiculous…i have experimented a lot with different
'brands' of almonds..and it has to be a special brand of organic almonds, they are the best :yes:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yesterday's dinner:

- Half a bundle of soba noodles
- Some leftover cooked butternut squash, lightly salted/peppered
- Some leftover cooked shiitake mushrooms
- Handful of kale
- 1 egg
- Miso paste
- Sriracha
- Vegetable "better than bouillon"

1) Cook the noodles
2) Heat up the veggies and kale in the microwave
3) Cook a "ramen egg" (exactly seven minutes in boiling water)
4) Boil water and mostly filled up a bowl with it
5) Add one spoonful of "better than bouillon" and one spoonful of miso paste; stir until they dissolve
6) Add all the other prepared ingredients and loads of sriracha
7) Enjoy!

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ
Caprese Burger. Leftovers are the mother of invention! I mixed in some pesto with ground beef and pork, and stuck a slice of mozzarella inside the patty Juicy Lucy style. Then more mozzarella, tomato, and basil, plus some balsamic vinegar and garlic aioli on the bun.

IMG_4843_zpsdaydrncd.jpg

Last edited:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Was a couple of days ago, but salvage grocery store breakfast sandwiches. Wheat english muffins, rounds of eggs and spinach baked, and slices of ham all stacked up and shoved in the freezer for quick warm breakfasts at work. Costed about $0.50 each when it was all said and done.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yesterday's dinner:

- Half a bundle of soba noodles
- Some leftover cooked butternut squash, lightly salted/peppered
- Some leftover cooked shiitake mushrooms
- Handful of kale
- 1 egg
- Miso paste
- Sriracha
- Vegetable "better than bouillon"

1) Cook the noodles
2) Heat up the veggies and kale in the microwave
3) Cook a "ramen egg" (exactly seven minutes in boiling water)
4) Boil water and mostly filled up a bowl with it
5) Add one spoonful of "better than bouillon" and one spoonful of miso paste; stir until they dissolve
6) Add all the other prepared ingredients and loads of sriracha
7) Enjoy!
^ I think I'm going to make this again tonight, but with spinach, chicken bouillon, and rehydrated dried shiitake mushrooms instead of fresh. And green onions, if my green onions are still good.

gromit

likes this
Right now I am making a sort of bastardized shepherds pie.

Lentils instead of meat. Also carrots/beets, with some cauliflower that was going to go bad blended in with the mashed potato.

Hm. So really the only thing that carries over from traditional shepherds pie is the potatoes?

I think it will still taste good though.

I'm not 100% sold on the beets. I don't need to commit just yet.

gromit

likes this
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] you reminded me I had some dried mushrooms so I am going to rehydrate as add them to the lentils.

Decided to ditch the beets and add some cabbage. Whatever. Ugh.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Some really amazing chocolate cupcakes. They have a teaspoon of cinnamon in them. :drool:

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Can I come over?

Oh wait, I have to go to a wedding later today. Crap. I'd rather have cheesecake than wedding cake. Most of the time, the frosting is sickeningly sweet.

i know and yeah you may come over, my room mate is making dip and home made pizzas
and we're doing a dexter marathon

7_rresfvMR4v1Bge0ZgKrFXGpk0yGCXuMnONfkI6OJ1sEbsUQuqkMxfn5qeeW2nCaRiFtGFhyXo=w1342-h503

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Damn, that sounds so much better than what I have planned.

oh and she's making fried oreos and zeppolis (never had them, but they sound awesome). I offered to make hummus, but she said she's gonna make either a spinach artichoke dip or a bean one with rice and cheese the 3 dips listed i'd be happy with.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
oh and she's making fried oreos and zeppolis (never had them, but they sound awesome). I offered to make hummus, but she said she's gonna make either a spinach artichoke dip or a bean one with rice and cheese the 3 dips listed i'd be happy with.
Stop it stop it stop it