• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I had fish finger coupled with potatoes, served with a sauce of mustard today.

The sauce:
Heat butter in a jar, until it is liquid. Then one tablespoon of flour (the white one, not the grey one :)). Then you need half a glas of water to mix it with until it reaches the consistency you like. Should not be too solid or too liquid. Then 1 1/2 tablespoon of mustard, a little shot sweetener and a little shoot vinegar. Then you can take something to make it a little bit more flavoursome, like maggi. But not to much or the sauce is ruined xD.

I just love that, can go thousand miles for it xD.

Another idea for this kind of sauce is called "Königsberger Klopse" :)).
You take some meat, like used in hamburges. Half cow, half beef. That you can flavour with a little grain of salt and pepper. Then you form little balls out of the meet and cook it for some time. When its done, the butter and the flour is given in the cooked water and a little mustard in the end. That sauce is not based on mustard but on the flavor of the meat, so not to much mustard. In the end you can give one smal glass of caper in the sauce. They are really great in that combination.

Served with potatoes, noodles, just how you like it. I prefer potatoes :).
--
-
greetings
~ent

Climber07

MBTI Type
Ixxx
Chicken Long Rice

2 1/2 lbs chicken thighs
3 quarts water
1 tbsp salt (Hawaiian sea salt if you can find it)
2-3 slices of fresh ginger
1 large white onion chopped
5 chicken bouillon cubes
8 oz long rice*
3 green onion stalks chopped

Put chicken into a five quart saucepan. Add two quarts of the water, the salt, and ginger. Bring to a boil, skim any foam that rises to the top of stock, lower heat, and simmer for forty minutes. Remove from heat and drain, saving broth. Remove meat from chicken, discarding bones. Shred meat and set aside. Put broth, onion, bouillon cubes and the remaining one quart water into saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add long rice, then lower heat and cook, covered for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand about 30 minutes. With kitchen shears, cut long rice into approximately 3- or 4- inch lengths. Stir in chicken and heat briefly. Stir in green onions. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

*Long rice is different than long grain rice. Long rice or cellophane noodles are clear thin noodles made out of starch and used in Asian cuisine. You can learn more here: Cellophane noodles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is the brand I normally use:

1507256015_1da8795d3e.jpg

Modified recipe from Hawaiian Electric Company. Some people add shitake mushrooms but I find the woodsy flavor overpowers the dish. I prefer to keep it simple. This dish can be a little off putting for people who aren't used to the slippery texture of the noodles but I've found most people that enjoy Asian cuisine appreciate this dish. If you've ever eaten Japchae the texture of the noodles is very similar although Japchae noodles tend to be thicker.

The wikipedia article mentions that chicken long rice is served at luaus in Hawaii. This is definitely true as I can attest to the countless luaus I have gone to where the big vat (often cooked by the aunt with the least cooking skills) started the procession of food laid out buffet style. It is placed at the beginning of the buffet line so people have less room on their plate (and bellies) to eat the more expensive food.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Easy Tilapia Bowl

Heat up a Gorton's breaded tilapia filet in the oven, microwave a bag of Steamfresh broccoli florets, and one bag of Uncle Ben's 90 second brown rice. Put about one third of the bag of broccoli in the bowl first, then a little over half the bag of rice and the tilapia. Add lemon juice and Mrs. Dash southwest chipotle (or just black pepper or whatever seasoning you want), and a splash of olive oil. Mix it up and enjoy. That's good eatin'!

Yeah, I just had one of these a few minutes ago. Ahhhh, that's good. And good for you too, it's got protein, the good kind of fat, one of the best vegetables you can eat, high in fiber and vitamins and minerals, and whole grain, and if you don't add salt or a salty seasoning, then it's low in sodium too. Plus you can substitute any of those ingredients for a different variety of the same thing. Good to go.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Due to the challenge of avoiding meat for a week (I'm up to 72 hours now), I have been making delicious meat-free items, and thought I'd share how to make guacamole, since it's apparently completely foreign to people which is why they'll pay so much for pitiful prepared guacamole and mixes... It's extremely easy to make, too, if a bit time-consuming.

Due to the recent tomato scare, tomatoes are a bit scarce and pricey here, so I omitted them. They're also a royal pain to cut up. If you want them, just remove the seeds and chop the outer portion up, then add it to the remaining items. The seeds and other bits should be thrown in a blender with some extra-ripe tomatoes to make hot sauce or chip-salsa.

Yesterday I made a batch of ~4 servings worth.

Ingredients:
- 3 Hass avocados, remove outer skin and seed.
- 4 Serrano peppers, chopped finely.
- 6 lower portions of green onions (you can use any onion, I just use green because I can't finish an entire red onion on my own; red onions taste good and look better presentation-wise), chopped.
- 1 bunch of cilantro, washed, tops cut off, and chopped.
- 1 lime, squeezed.
- Sea salt, ground finely.

Prep:
- Place avocado, peppers, onions, and lime juice in the bowl.
- Mix thoroughly with a fork until there are no more avocado lumps.
- Salt very lightly and mix in with fork.

I usually use it as a topping for tacos, enchiladas, or eat it with tortilla chips. When consuming with tortilla chips, I top it with a layer of finely crumbled queso freso or moist cotija (there are two kinds, and the dry kind is not good for this purpose), and only give a half-twist worth of salt.

Guacamole should always be kept cool, never heated/cooked, and consumed within 3-4 days of being made. It mellows and becomes more evenly-flavored after a night or so in the fridge. You may omit the lime (though it adds good flavor) if you plan to eat it immediately after preparation, but it cannot be stored, even briefly, in this state.

Fresh salsa is basically the same thing, only without avocados, and you'll usually use jalapeno peppers instead. Again, you don't cook it unless you plan to bottle it, then it's nowhere near as delicious.

For quick guacamole, you can just mix drained fresh Mexican salsa (not the kind you make in the blender, but chopped tomato/onion/pepper/cilantro/lime/salt, which you toss in a bowl and place in the fridge to sit for a while) into mashed up avocado and mix thoroughly.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Easy Tilapia Bowl

Heat up a Gorton's breaded tilapia filet in the oven, microwave a bag of Steamfresh broccoli florets, and one bag of Uncle Ben's 90 second brown rice. Put about one third of the bag of broccoli in the bowl first, then a little over half the bag of rice and the tilapia. Add lemon juice and Mrs. Dash southwest chipotle (or just black pepper or whatever seasoning you want), and a splash of olive oil. Mix it up and enjoy. That's good eatin'!

Yeah, I just had one of these a few minutes ago. Ahhhh, that's good. And good for you too, it's got protein, the good kind of fat, one of the best vegetables you can eat, high in fiber and vitamins and minerals, and whole grain, and if you don't add salt or a salty seasoning, then it's low in sodium too. Plus you can substitute any of those ingredients for a different variety of the same thing. Good to go.

Hey! I keep tilapia (well, their smaller Lake Malawi cichlid cousins) in my aquarium. Stop eating them !

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hey! I keep tilapia (well, their smaller Lake Malawi cichlid cousins) in my aquarium. Stop eating them !

Hey, it's your responsibility to keep the dude in the yellow raincoat out of your aquarium. I don't ask where he got 'em. ;)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
oooh I have tilapia and I think brown rice and broccoli no chiptole stuff but I can get that.

Though for the past week I was thinking tilapia was some sort of grain. And was like I don't know what that is I don't want to go hunt for it and I'm not big into grains when mushy. and I've had tilapia for the past month and I've eaten it before. Though it's not gordon's it's trident and I forgot gordon's was sea food.

but I do love rice

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
random dish that tastes suprisingly good.

I took some keilbosa and coated a pan in olive oil I then took some coke and garlic cayenne red pepper flakes and oregono and black pepper and cooked over medium heat until done which was about 20 mins I didn't add salt as the meat already has a lot of salt I also didn't use a huge amount of spices I can't tell you how much of each I used I kinda eye balled it.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Slow Cooker Stroganoff

(that's a crockpot to the foreigners).

Made this one today and simmered it while working at home. Came out great. About 3-4 decent servings.

Ingredients :

1lb (400-500g) of lean stewing/casserole beef
3 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp paprika (spanish smoked if possible)
a little olive oil
salt and pepper
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
3 large mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup red wine
400g tin chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp tomato puree
1 beef stock cube dissolved in a little boiling water
pasta noodles / tagliatelle to serve.
1 cup sour cream (unhealthy!) or 1 cup buttermilk (healthy but not so rich).

Cut beef into small chunks.
Put flour, paprika, salt and pepper into a bag, add beef and shake until coated.
Heat oil in a pan, and fry floured beef on a medium heat until it is browned all over (doesn't matter if it's still raw inside). Remove beef and put into crockpot/slow cooker set on high.

Deglaze pan with the wine, and fry onions and garlic until soft.
Add chopped tomatoes, stock cube, tomato puree and bring to a boil.

Mix into the beef in the crockpot and leave on high for about 4 hours, stirring occasionally.

20 mins before serving, turn off heat and stir in sour cream/buttermilk.

Boil tagliatelle (pasta noodles) and place on plate, sprinkled with a little paprika, and ladle the stroganoff.

Enjoy!

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
(that's a crockpot to the foreigners).

Made this one today and simmered it while working at home. Came out great. About 3-4 decent servings.

Ingredients :

1lb (400-500g) of lean stewing/casserole beef
3 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp paprika (spanish smoked if possible)
a little olive oil
salt and pepper
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
3 large mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup red wine
400g tin chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp tomato puree
1 beef stock cube dissolved in a little boiling water
pasta noodles / tagliatelle to serve.
1 cup sour cream (unhealthy!) or 1 cup buttermilk (healthy but not so rich).

Cut beef into small chunks.
Put flour, paprika, salt and pepper into a bag, add beef and shake until coated.
Heat oil in a pan, and fry floured beef on a medium heat until it is browned all over (doesn't matter if it's still raw inside). Remove beef and put into crockpot/slow cooker set on high.

Deglaze pan with the wine, and fry onions and garlic until soft.
Add chopped tomatoes, stock cube, tomato puree and bring to a boil.

Mix into the beef in the crockpot and leave on high for about 4 hours, stirring occasionally.

20 mins before serving, turn off heat and stir in sour cream/buttermilk.

Boil tagliatelle (pasta noodles) and place on plate, sprinkled with a little paprika, and ladle the stroganoff.

Enjoy!
I am totally making this today or tomorrow (time may be an issue) and quoting again for awesomeness. More please and thanks!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Why'd you have to go and do that? Now I'm hungry.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Dammit! I don’t eat meat and I want that! So hungry now *glare*

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
^^^^^^^

Ditto, fucking cows, why do you have to be so tasty?

Seraph

MBTI Type
INTJ
Chicken Florentine

3-4 Boneless Chicken Breasts
About 1 cup chopped spinach (Will mix into alfredo sauce, so amount can vary)
10-12 oz Alfredo sauce with Mushrooms
About 1 bottle Italian Dressing (go cheap, it's the marinade)
1 Box of Fettucine

-Marinade chicken breasts in Italian dressing (try to aim for a day, I find that this yields the best taste)
-Place fettucine in boiling water till ready
-Mix chopped spinach with Alfredo sauce
-In oiled frying pan (Large enough to fit all 3-4 chicken breasts), cook all the chicken breasts at medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Note: a pan with a lid is preferable, as the oil will splatter. For added flavor, dump some of the leftover marinade in the frying pan to cook with the chicken.
- After 5-7 minutes, flip the chicken over
- After 3-4 minutes, if the chicken is done, add the alfredo sauce directly into the frying pan, and leave on medium heat for another 3-4 minutes
- Remove frying pan from heat source and plate with fettucine
Note: Lemon garnish adds a nice flavor to an already great dish

Not the most heart-healthy, but tastes delicious and solves the 'dry-chicken' problem.