• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
roasting a chicken at the moment... making mashed potatoes, corn (the man ADORES corn), and salad as sides... making chocolate, chocolate chip cupcakes for dessert :)

I made bread sticks, and sauce for it.

they're not as puffy as I would've liked them to be, I didn't put enough yeast, and I didn't give them enough space to puff up. : (

Still delicious.
img1897c.jpg

Wow, that sauce is so colourful! What is it called?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Last night I made bistro potato gratin (grated parmesan, heavy cream, fresh thyme, fresh flat leaf parsley, cubed potatoes) and it was so good! Very easy to make, too.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Okay. THIRD TIME ATTEMPT

I must say, me finks I sort of succeeded. They laughed at me the first time on vent, but this time they were alllllll JELLY(right smiley?)
img1953t.jpg

IN YOUR FACE LEXICON

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Okay. THIRD TIME ATTEMPT

I must say, me finks I sort of succeeded. They laughed at me the first time on vent, but this time they were alllllll JELLY(right smiley?)
img1953t.jpg
YUM.

I got all the ingredients chopped up for jambalaya in the crockpot tomorrow. Mmmmm!

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
That looks awesome, YWIR!

I've been eating healthier lately, and I've also been eating some South Beach-friendly stuff for the evening meal, since my roommate's doing that diet in earnest. I just add a few carbs here and there.

Tonight, we made a SB-friendly Chicken Tikka Masala, and it was AWESOME. Easy, too.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Tallulah, can you share the recipe?? :holy:

I was doing SB then went on full on keto diet. Which absolutely the most fucking disgusting diet you can ever go on. It's really meant for bodybuilders (and epileptics - the epileptics eat a lot better than the body builders who voluntarily subsist on supplements, shakes, cream cheese, and eggs)

What is your daily carb intake? For keto it's 20g so cooking is rough.

Oh, to answer the OP, today I made a delicious protein shake. YUUUUUUM.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Here ya go, CzeCze!

1 cup FF plain yogurt
1 tsp lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less if you don't like it too spicy)
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper (less for less spice)
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger (I used less and powdered)
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
4 long skewers

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (no sugar, of course)
1/4 cup lite coconut milk
1/4 cup LF cream cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 can chickpeas

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper, ginger. Stir in chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Preheat a grill for high heat.
Lightly oil the grill grate. Thread chicken onto skewers, and discard marinade. Grill until juices run clear, about 5 minutes on each side.

Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic for 1 minute. Season with 2 teaspoons cumin, and paprika. Stir in tomato sauce, coconut milk, and cream cheese. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Add grilled chicken, and chickpeas. Simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, and garnish with fresh cilantro.

I used waaaaay less cayenne in the marinade. We grilled the chicken skewers on a George Foreman Grill and they turned out perfect. I forgot to use the fresh cilantro garnish, and we totally had some! I bet it would have been good. Ah, well, leftovers! Served it over jasmine rice, though my roomie ate it sans rice to save on carbs. She's doing South Beach for real, and I'm just kinda piggybacking off her recipes and eating healthy otherwise.

That keto diet sounds like my worst nightmare! I've never been motivated by a having a good body to the point where I'd eat bland stuff. I don't think I have it in me! I don't count my carbs, since I'm not doing the full South Beach, but I can tell I have lost a few pounds already, since I'm not eating junk anymore.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
What is SB-friendly? From Cze's post, am I to understand this is a low carb thing?

Interest piqued.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
What is SB-friendly? From Cze's post, am I to understand this is a low carb thing?

Interest piqued.

It would be okay for people who are doing the South Beach Diet, Phase 2, to eat.

The first phase of South Beach is very low carb, but only lasts two weeks. After that, you can start phasing in things like brown rice and fruit and quinoa and stuff like that.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
It would be okay for people who are doing the South Beach Diet, Phase 2, to eat.

The first phase of South Beach is very low carb, but only lasts two weeks. After that, you can start phasing in things like brown rice and fruit and quinoa and stuff like that.

I ask because I have recently switched to a diabetic diet, and my repertoire of low-carb recipes is not impressive. I need to find more.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I ask because I have recently switched to a diabetic diet, and my repertoire of low-carb recipes is not impressive. I need to find more.

I found that recipe on this forum: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ -- and they have sections that deal with other low-carb type diets, as well as recipes. Maybe you can find some good ones there? The South Beach cookbooks are good, too.

gromit

likes this
The other day I made a pan of cornbread and I've been eating it topped with beans and peppers and onions, shredded cheddar cheese, and slices of avocado. Pretty simple but so so so tasty.

gromit

likes this
The cornbread recipe is special - has ground chickpeas mixed into the batter, a little more nutrition and doesn't use white flour.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I found that recipe on this forum: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ -- and they have sections that deal with other low-carb type diets, as well as recipes. Maybe you can find some good ones there? The South Beach cookbooks are good, too.

A quick glance over that forum seems like it's the same problem I'm finding everywhere else. People seem obsessed with creating "low carb" versions of high carb foods. Recipes for "Low carb cookies", "Low carb desserts", "Low carb pizza". If I'm on a damn low carb diet, I don't need to be eating cookies, dessert, and pizza. They offer absolutely nothing of nutritional value to me, and even the "low carb" versions are still too high in carbs.

At this point I'm eating nothing but eggs or chicken for every meal.

I did find one link of value there: http://www.101cookbooks.com/low_carb_recipes/ Looks like this could be worthwhile.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
an omlete with pepper jack, colby jack, cheddar, and sausage with guacamole on top

strawberries

shadow boxer
MBTI Type
----
i made a yoghurt orange cake with cream cheese icing for a friend's birthday.
difficulty 5/10
taste 7/10
appearance 4/10
friend's reaction 9/10

cake.jpg

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I boiled ten eggs, made a bunch of beans with pepper jack cheese mixed in, and sauteed onions and peppers in olive oil.

It's low-carb week.

No, I don't plan to eat all of the eggs today. It's good to be prepared!

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I boiled ten eggs, made a bunch of beans with pepper jack cheese mixed in, and sauteed onions and peppers in olive oil.

It's low-carb week.

No, I don't plan to eat all of the eggs today. It's good to be prepared!

:yes:

I just acquired a crock pot, (a gift) over the weekend. I never bought one because I haven't needed it. I'm glad to have it though! Will need to find a pulled pork recipe and a chicken soup recipe and the like.

Tonight I had tuna casserole. Nice and easy and warm in my stomach. :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
A quick glance over that forum seems like it's the same problem I'm finding everywhere else. People seem obsessed with creating "low carb" versions of high carb foods. Recipes for "Low carb cookies", "Low carb desserts", "Low carb pizza". If I'm on a damn low carb diet, I don't need to be eating cookies, dessert, and pizza. They offer absolutely nothing of nutritional value to me, and even the "low carb" versions are still too high in carbs.

At this point I'm eating nothing but eggs or chicken for every meal.

I did find one link of value there: http://www.101cookbooks.com/low_carb_recipes/ Looks like this could be worthwhile.

I don't know if anyone has told you this yet, but "good carbs" include things like beans, lentils, brown bread (the darker the better), brown rice, bananas (yes bananas, they affect your glycemic index in a good way, I'm so glad I love them), and oatmeal.

I'm pretty sure you can still eat good carbs as a diabetic, or that would just be unhealthy. Balance this stuff with lean protein [chicken, eggs, fish, cottage cheese (whey protein)], veggies, milk, unsweetened plain yogurt (or try unsweetened kefir, it's really good), etc.

You can also have nuts, seeds, and unsweetened natural nut butters.