• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Vanilla Crack

Ingredients
1 lb Salted Soda Crackers
2 cups Butter, Salted
1 cup Sugar, Granulated
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Pecan Pieces

Directions
1. Line 10 x 15" jelly roll pan with heavy-duty foil. Spray foil with non-stick spray.

2. Cover the pan completely with a single layer of crackers, salt side up. (Break crackers in pieces to make them fit if you have to). Set aside

3. Combine butter, sugar, and vanilla in heavy sauce pan. Bring to full boil over medium high heat on stove top. (A full boil will bave breaking bubbles all over the surface fo the pan).

4. Boil for 5 minutes stirring constantly.

5. Pour mixture over the soda crackers as evenly as you can.

6. Sprinkle nuts over the top.

7. Place pan in over and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

8. When completely cooled break into pieces.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Jeez. The day before Thanksgiving (at least for the Americans) and this thread isn't being bumped?

Ive been cooking my face off. My aunts have decided that they're too busy to make anything for the Thanksgiving dinner that my extended family is having, so my mother and I are making 90% of it.

I've decided to try something new and make a batch of stuffing out of cornbread, because I saw it on the Food Network.

I made that pumpkin crisp earlier, but ultimately it's too sugary and not much easier than pumpkin pie, so Ive decided to just go with the traditional pumpkin pies.

Plus my brother was in the mood for French Onion soup for dinner, so I made that.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
A pumpkin pie, but it was a major FAIL. I used a different recipe than my normal one, and it tasted gross. Will try again tomorrow morning with the old standby recipe!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok: Just finished these about an hour ago. They're my contribution to a Thanksgiving dinner I've been invited to - I'm in charge of appetizers.

A few comments on these - firstly, I've never worked with phyllo dough - this was a first. It's annoying. I will definitely do better next time. The pastry is dryer/brittler than it should be (texture isn't quite right). So they'll just be crunchier than they really should be, but taste-wise they're fine. Also the finished product isn't nearly as 'pretty' as it should be.

The filling is totally yummy though - spinich, scallions, fresh parsley, some green lentils, feta cheese, an egg, and pepper. Oh. And butter and olive oil, of course.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Ok: Just finished these about an hour ago. They're my contribution to a Thanksgiving dinner I've been invited to - I'm in charge of appetizers.

A few comments on these - firstly, I've never worked with phyllo dough - this was a first. It's annoying. I will definitely do better next time. The pastry is dryer/brittler than it should be (texture isn't quite right). So they'll just be crunchier than they really should be, but taste-wise they're fine. Also the finished product isn't nearly as 'pretty' as it should be.

The filling is totally yummy though - spinich, scallions, fresh parsley, some green lentils, feta cheese, an egg, and pepper. Oh. And butter and olive oil, of course.

I love :wubbie: spanakopita

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Oh yum looks good! I know it's a pain to work with phyllo dough - I made Beef Wellington once...

I just made fresh cranberry sauce with whole cranberries, sugar, water, fresh squeezed orange juice, and a spoonful of orange zest. I also made real turkey gravy with drippings. Last year I actually cooked a turkey, but I wasn't assigned that particular thing this year.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
DSC00207.jpg

Sweet Potato Concoction

It tastes super happy :yes:
Made with this recipe, basically.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some crap called Mulatto Rice (I know, I know, but I didn't name it) that a friend mentioned she thought sounded good, so I offered to make it. I'm sure the recipe is wrong. It's still cooking so we'll see.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
DSC00207.jpg

Sweet Potato Concoction

It tastes super happy :yes:
Made with this recipe, basically.

that's almost the same recipe my mom uses, it's really good.

I made mashed potatoes that ended up amazing (they always do when I make mashed potatoes) and I suggested we use the food processor for the pie crust for the pumpkin pie, the crust came out amazing. and the food processor makes its so much easier than doing it by hand. and now i have no excuse not to make a pie a crust from scratch.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
that's almost the same recipe my mom uses, it's really good.

We had marshmallow yams today that were even better than the pumpkin pie. We should have just had marshmallow yams for dessert. I didn't cook those, though. :D

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Vegetable lasagna. Well, it was actually spinach and mushroom lasagna. I think I'll leave out the spinach and use onions and eggplant next time.

Would you believe that they make GF lasagna noodles?! Yeah, they do! :yes:

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
At the moment, letting the sauce calm down while waiting for the water for the pasta to boil. Making tuna steak in soy sauce with penne pasta on the side. In other words, experimenting with my last remaining piece of tuna.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Vegetable lasagna. Well, it was actually spinach and mushroom lasagna. I think I'll leave out the spinach and use onions and eggplant next time.

Would you believe that they make GF lasagna noodles?! Yeah, they do! :yes:

Yup, there's even an italian place up in chicago that serves gluten free pasta and pizza that I think I'm going to take my gluten intolerant room mate to before he moves to New York.

Also helping my mom make chocolate.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yup, there's even an italian place up in chicago that serves gluten free pasta and pizza that I think I'm going to take my gluten intolerant room mate to before he moves to New York.

Your lucky roommate! They have a pizza place here that started making GF pizza. We bought some (costs a fortune, bastards!) and it was truly disgusting. I mean, yeah--we were desperate but ugh. I've made GF pizza at home and it was a gazillion times better than that mess they had the nerve to serve me. It can be really hard to get some good GF food outside of the home *sigh*.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Your lucky roommate! They have a pizza place here that started making GF pizza. We bought some (costs a fortune, bastards!) and it was truly disgusting. I mean, yeah--we were desperate but ugh. I've made GF pizza at home and it was a gazillion times better than that mess they had the nerve to serve me. It can be really hard to get some good GF food outside of the home *sigh*.

yeah, and its gotten mostly 4-5 star reviews.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

yeah, and its gotten mostly 4-5 star reviews.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Friday evening I baked a spice cake. I used a mixture between an American and an European recipe.
I tried the American one twice before and, while I loved the taste, the cake was dense as brick. I need metric to get it right :D
So I used a tried and true recipe (four fourths cake - 4 eggs, 250g flour, 250g sugar, 250g butter); replaced the sugar by brown sugar and added the spices (1 teaspoon of cinnamon and a bit less than a teaspoon of nutmeg) from the other recipe.
Delicious.