• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

MBTI Type
INTJ
I had some veggies and ground beef nearing the end of the line, so I cobbled together a white trash shepherd's pie with ground beef, onions, peppers, broccoli, and Kraft Homestyle mac and cheese. It was better than it had a right to be.

whitetrashshepherdspie.jpg

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^^Ooh, the red wine to boot!! You eat in style, my friend. The meal looks tasty - great comfort food. :yes:

A few days ago I made Split Pea Soup. Yum!! It's usually an annual thing... right around mid-October I crave it. :)

F

figsfiggyfigs

Im sooooooooooooooooooo hungry.

i made some quick donair sammiches, and a pineapple/apple strawberry yogurt salad! <3

dsc01649x.jpg

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
there is currently a lasagna that I made baking in the oven... it smells lovely :drool:

rav3n

Woke up hungry today so I cobbled together a quick vermicelli noodle stirfry with reconstituted shitakes, chinese sausage, egg, green onions and both types of soy sauce. It was okay. Needed some baby bok choi. Maybe I'll have veggies only for dinner or none at all.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Woke up hungry today so I cobbled together a quick vermicelli noodle stirfry with reconstituted shitakes, chinese sausage, egg, green onions and both types of soy sauce. It was okay. Needed some baby bok choi. Maybe I'll have veggies only for dinner or none at all.

Do you cook out of enjoyment/as a hobby, or are you a professional chef? You seem to know a lot about it!! If the former, was it all self-taught & experimentation?

rav3n

Do you cook out of enjoyment/as a hobby, or are you a professional chef? You seem to know a lot about it!! If the former, was it all self-taught & experimentation?
Just a hobbyist. My grandfather was a chef so it's a learn or be minimalised kind of familial environment. If you can't reproduce what you've eaten elsewhere without a recipe, you're less than nobody. :laugh:

But thanks, I'm flattered. :)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just a hobbyist. My grandfather was a chef so it's a learn or be minimalised kind of familial environment. If you can't reproduce what you've eaten elsewhere without a recipe, you're less than nobody. :laugh:

But thanks, I'm flattered. :)

Ah, funny. That's cool though. I'm just a bit in awe of those with an intuitive knack for cooking. I mean, I don't consider myself a bad cook by any means, but I do tend to need recipes. Then I'm fine. My brother, on the other hand... he has never really needed/used recipes and comes up with some of the best dishes with some very bizarre ingredients that you'd never guess would work well together. I know in his first couple of years of doing it he had some serious Fails, so there was some trial by error for sure, but still... I think there's definitely a talent for it, and some are very gifted at it. It's only recently that I've begun to branch out a *little* bit in terms of not using recipes and just experimenting, and I've had some success - but I'll never be anywhere close to my brothers' talent.

rav3n

Ah, funny. That's cool though. I'm just a bit in awe of those with an intuitive knack for cooking. I mean, I don't consider myself a bad cook by any means, but I do tend to need recipes. Then I'm fine. My brother, on the other hand... he has never really needed/used recipes and comes up with some of the best dishes with some very bizarre ingredients that you'd never guess would work well together. I know in his first couple of years of doing it he had some serious Fails, so there was some trial by error for sure, but still... I think there's definitely a talent for it, and some are very gifted at it. It's only recently that I've begun to branch out a *little* bit in terms of not using recipes and just experimenting, and I've had some success - but I'll never be anywhere close to my brothers' talent.
Don't be so quick to minimalise your own talents. You whipped up those recipes provided to you in a hurry and they turned out the first time, so this means you do have a knack, considering how unfamiliar you were with saffron.

Just pay attention to everything you eat outside of what you've cooked and take them apart through taste. It won't be long with this and experimenting, that you'll get a feel of what spices or combinations delight your palate, so then your experimenting will become a combination of experience and fun. Also, for now, start messing with your current recipes. Which spice or herb tantalises? If so, add a bit more. Yuck, dislike too much thyme, then reduce.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don't be so quick to minimalise your own talents. You whipped up those recipes provided to you in a hurry and they turned out the first time, so this means you do have a knack, considering how unfamiliar you were with saffron.

Just pay attention to everything you eat outside of what you've cooked and take them apart through taste. It won't be long with this and experimenting, that you'll get a feel of what spices or combinations delight your palate, so then your experimenting will become a combination of experience and fun. Also, for now, start messing with your current recipes. Which spice or herb tantalises? If so, add a bit more. Yuck, dislike too much thyme, then reduce.

Great suggestions/advice. And..thanks. :)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Tonight...

A pork fillet Saag. Started off with a two stage sauce which had the spices separate to the spinach and tomatoes. Added some nice pork fillet, some green peppers shredded like matchsticks. Simmered in a pot in the oven for a couple of hours, served it with pilau rice, samosas and pakora. Yumm!

Before going to bed I made up a chicken cacciatore. Chicken thighs, skinless.. sauteed in onion, garlic and red wine, them simmered with tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, oregano and basil. It'll be bubbling gently in the slow cooker for the day tomorrow while I am out enjoying cold autumn sunshine :)

O

Oberon

Garlic Lime Chicken with garlic mashed potatoes and a side of broccoli.

The sauce for the chicken was WIN.

Keps Mnemnosyne

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Mm
Peach Pie, Cherry Pie, white, Milk, and Dark Chocolate covered pretzels, dump cake, and white chocolate chip cookies. My friends are going to regret knowing me later. :cheese:

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Not today... but a few days ago I cooked something called "kalfsblanquette met worteltjes" in Dutch. Its a sort of stew with young cow (veal?), onions, carrots and a laurel leaf and some thyme to make it complete. It was delicious and I'm proud of having made such a delicious and easy new recipe!

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Gonna try my first self-made Cordon Bleu now. Bought some Gruyere and Appenzeller cheese and some ham and that now has to go between the schnitzel. As vegetables I'll serve cauliflower mixed with peas and carrots and noodles + a creamy sauce from herb creme fraiche with champignons. Gonna see if that schnitzels will make a Cordon Bleu :D

Beorn

Permabanned
I just made penne and turkey meatballs with fried mushrooms and onions on top. Garlic bread on the side.

It was pretty good. Should have taken a pic.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Cornbread w/ chili! Blew up some melted butter in the micro for kicks (on purpose but not), even.

Hey man.

MBTI Type
INTJ
In response to a repper who disapproved (!) of the prefab mac and cheese in my shepherd's pie cottage pie bowl of sadness, I bring you the real McCoy...

macandcheese.jpg

Word. :)

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Looks like cheesy goodness Effem! Guess I'm not the only one on a pasta kick ;).

Tonight was something new for me: Cooking pasta and cooking with blue cheese. The result was a wonderful blue cheese pasta with mushrooms and lots of great flavor.

Pasta-with-Mushrooms-and-Blue-Cheese.jpg

http://www.mycolombianrecipes.com/pasta-with-mushrooms-and-gorgonzola-cheese-sauce

However, I would amend the recipe a bit and up the sauce:pasta ratio. Also, add a bit of white wine for some extra character.