• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
my mom sent my a document of recipes my family loves (I don't like the grits casserole, but I don't like grits but I like everything else in it)

Halloween Party Mix
Time: 1½ hours | 40 min prep;
Amount:16 cups
1 (11 ounce) package pretzels
1 (10 1/2 ounce) package miniature peanut butter filled butter flavor crackers (I use Ritz)
1 cup dry roasted peanuts
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 (10 ounce) package M&M's
1 (18 1/2 ounce) package candy corn

1. In a large bowl, combine first 3 ingredients.
2. In a large saucepan, combine sugar, butter and corn syrup.
3. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 5 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and baking soda (mixture will foam).
5. Pour over pretzel mixture and stir until coated.
6. Pour into a greased 15x10 inch baking pan.
7. Bake at 250 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
8. Break apart while warm.
9. Cool completely.
10. Toss with M&M's and candy corn.
11. Store in airtight container.

Note: the sugar, butter and corn syrup make the best glaze for pecans.

Grits Casserole: Grandma Tucky

4 c water
1 tsp. salt
1 c. grits
1.25 c. grated sharp cheddar cheese
4 eggs beaten
1 c. milk
0.5 c butter or margarine
1. Heat oven to 350
2. Grease 2 qt casserole
3. Bring water to boil in a sauce pot
4. Slowly add grits and cook 4-5 min. stirring a few times
5. Remove from heat and stir in eggs and 1c. of cheese, milk, butter and pepper.
6. Pour into casserole and sprinkle remaining 0.25 c. cheese over top.
7. Bake 1 hr.

Burnt Almonds: From Candy Good Cooks series

1 lb. almonds ( approximately 3 c.)
2 c. Granulated Sugar
2-5 Tbs. water
1 tsp ground cinnamon, optional

1. Dissolve sugar in water over medium heat.
2. Cook until thread stage ( 106-112 C or 220 F.
3. Add almonds and mix until all syrup has been absorbed.
4. Remove from heat and still until mixture becomes dry.
5. Return to heat, cover with lid a cook until granulated sugar mix melts and coats the almonds.
6. This will take some time (about 30 minutes). Cook until brown color. Do not over cook or the nuts will be too burnt. In some ways this is like a roux, must find the right balance between brown and burnt.
7. When almonds are coated with the glaze remove from heat. Add Cinnamon and turn onto greased cookie sheet. Separate quickly or the almond/glaze will be congealed and difficult to break apart without injuring the individual almonds.
8. Note: do not use wax paper, the wax will melt onto the nuts.

Smoked salmon dip (it is fool-proof and always turns out very yummy):

1 small package smoked salmon (~2oz)
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp finely diced onion
1 tsp diced garlic (I often use 1/2 tsp garlic powder instead)
1 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp crushed rosemary (more to taste)
1/8 c parmesan cheese
1 tbsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients, spread into a greased baking dish. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, until bubbling. Serve warm.

Mississippi Caviar

1 (15 oz) can black-eye peas, drained
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained
1(15 oz) can who kernel corn, drained
2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
3 Tbs. minced garlic (about 8 cloves)
½ bunch cilantro, chopped ( about ½ cup)
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian dressing mix
½ c. extra-virgin olive oil
½ c. vinegar
1. Combine first 11 ingredients (peas through seasoning) in a large bowl. Stir well.
2. Combine dressing mix, oil and vinegar. Pour over pea mixture. Stir well. Chill at least 2 hours. Serve with tortilla chips. Makes about 8 cups.

Pecan Pie
3/4c cup sugar
1/4 c butter
3 eggs beaten
1 tsp vanilla
pinch salt
1 cup karo [we use the light] syrup
1 cup pecans [I like rough chopped]
Cream butter and sugar, all everything else and pour into prepared pie crust. Bake at 350 start checking at 50-55 minutes, you want the outside circumference to be puffy and look a little set up, the middle still jiggly...
Toffee Candy
1 c. pecans
¾ c. brown sugar (packed)
½ c. butter
½ pkg. (6 ounce size) semisweet chocolate pieces (1/2 c.)
Butter square pan ( 9x9x2) inches. Spread pecans in pan. Heat sugar and butter to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, 7 minutes. Immediate spread mixture evenly over nuts in pan.
Spinkle chocolate pieces over hot mixture; place baking sheet over pan so contained heat will melt chocolate. Spread melted chocolate over candy. While cut into 1.5 inch square. Chill unitl firm. (makes 3 dozen) Betty Crocker

Toffee Butter Crunch
½ c. coarsely chopped tosted alonds or pecans
1c. butter
1 c. sugar
1 Tbs. light corn syrup
¾ c. semisweet chocolate pieces
1/2c. finely chopped toasted alomonds or pecans

Line a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan with foin, extending foil over edges. Sprinkle the ½ c nuts in pan. Butter side of a heavy 2 quart saucepan. In saucepan melt butt. Add sugar, corn syrup and 3 Tbs. water. Cook and stir over medium-high heat to boiling.
Clip candy thermometer to pan. Cook and stir over medium heat to 290 degrees. Watch carefully after 280 to prevent scorching. Remove saucepan from heat; remove thermometer. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Let stand 5 minutes r till firm; sprinkle with chocolate pieces. Let stand 1 to 2 minutes. When softened, spread chocolate over mixture. Sprinkle with nuts. Chill till firm. Lift candy out of pan; break into pieces. Store tightly covered. Makes about 1.5 pounds. (New Better Homes and Garden Cook Book)

Southern Pralines
1 c granulated sugar
1 c brown sugar, packed
½ c light cream (20%)
¼ tsp salt
2 Tbs. butter
1 c. pecan halves
Lightly butter a sheet of aluminum foil. Combine sugars, cream and salt in large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly to 228 degrees on candy thermometer (or until mixture spins a thread about 2 inches long when dropped from a spoon)
Stir in butter and pecans. Continue cooking, stirring constantly to 236 degrees. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes
Beat mixture with wooden spoon until slightly thickened and candy just coats nuts but does not lose its gloss. Drop candy by large spoonfuls onto buttered foil.

CHEESE STRAWS
1 stick butter
2 c. grated sharp cheese
1 c. plain flour
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 c. Rice Krispies
Cream butter and cheese. Sift flour and cayenne pepper and add to cream mixture. Stir in Rice Krispies. Roll into balls, dip a fork into water and mash balls onto ungreased pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.
Makes 40 2 inch circles Use smallest scooper.

Mulled wine (Source: Jeannette Myers Note: This was used for Gigi’s wedding)
Ingredients:
• 1 bottle (750mL) red wine
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 2 sticks cinnamon
• 4 whole cloves
• 1 orange scored and cut into wedges
Directions:
1. Pour the wine into a large pot. Pour in sugar and stir to disolve. Add the spices loose or tied in cheese cloth to form a bundle. Squeeze the juice of the orange wedges into the wine, then drop the wedges into the wine.
2. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Do not allow the wine to boil. Once the wine is steaming hot, lower the temperature and simmer for 30 minutes. (Increase the simmering time if you want spicier wine.) Make sure not to let the wine boil, as this will burn off the alcohol and destroy the flavours.
3. After the wine is done heating, strain through fine sieve to remove orange pith and pulp, then serve. Makes 4 servings.
For 1 gallon of wine (20 6 oz. servings):
*1 gallon jug of red table wine, such as Carlo Rossi Piasano or a Merlot
*2 1/2 cups sugar (adjust to taste)
*7 sticks cinnamon
*1 Tablespoon whole cloves
*1 or 2 oranges scored and cut into wedges

The directions for 1 gallon are the same as above, although you may need to increase the simmering time.

Baked Ziti (Libby from the internet: Yummy!!! Jack ate 3 helpings)

1 lb Ziti
1 lb. Hot Italian sausage, crumbled
1 onion chopped
2 (28 oz) spaghetti sauce
6 oz. provolone
6 oz. mozzarella
1.5 c. sour cream
½ c. parmesan cheese
¼ c. chopped fresh basil (4 tsp. dried)

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Cook pasta according directions on package.
Brown sausage; add onions and sauté until tender. Drain fat and add spaghetti sauce, simmer 15 minutes. In a 2 quart baking dish place ½ of the pasta, top with a layer of provolone and mozzarella; spread ½ of the sauce and sour cream; Cover with remaining pasta, cheese and sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan and basil; Cook 30 min. until cheese and sauce are bubbly
Note: we used about 12 oz of fresh mozzarella. This was delicious. 1/17/09.

Blueberry Muffins

1 c. flour
½ c. oatmeal
¼ c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
¼ c. oil or melted margarine or butter
¾ c. milk
¾ c blueberries

Mix flour, oatmeal, sugar and baking powder together. Beat egg slightly and mix with milk and oil. Add liquid mixture to dry mixture. Blend. Add blueberries and mix slightly. Put batter in muffin tins. Bake in preheated 400° F oven for 20-25 minutes

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
OMGZ this is so delicious and easy you must try it!

I'm trying to incorporate more vegetarian food into my diet at the moment, and I saw a recipe for chickpea tacos and messed with it and came up with this yummy dish.

1 to 2 cans of chickpeas (depending on how many you are cooking for)
1 can of Rotel tomatoes and peppers (only use half the can for 1 can of chickpeas)
a packet of taco spice (again, only use half if you're only cooking 1 can chickpeas)
whole-wheat pitas
shredded lettuce
Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream (or dairy sour cream if you prefer to be less veg)
splashes of lime juice

1. Drain and rinse chickpeas. warm the chickpeas with the rotel, taco spice, and lime juice in a pan or the microwave until nice and warm - make sure to stir and mix thoroughly
2. fill pita pockets with chickpea mixture, plenty of shredded lettuce, and a couple dollops of "sour cream"

I happen to really love chickpeas, but I couldn't believe how good this is! I will be eating it for days! It only has about 350 or so calories per portion even with a generous serving of tofu sour cream and is relatively low in fat and high in fiber.
I should try this because it sounds delicious plus I like all the ingredients though I'll cheat and use sour cream as I don't like Tofutti

Dahlila

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Tonight we are having corned beef, cabbage and potatoes! Very simple to make, just boil beef for about 3 hours then add the rest of the dinner. Soooo good :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
1 recipe mashed potatoes
some chipotle corn bisque (I use imagine, it's dairy free)

combine, eat, and go mmmmmmm

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
1 recipe mashed potatoes
some chipotle corn bisque (I use imagine, it's dairy free)

combine, eat, and go mmmmmmm

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
a delicious drink that is on it's way to perfection
4-5 strawberries
1 part vanilla almond milk
3/4 of a part ice cubes
honey or sugar to taste (I prefer honey, but it freezes so throw it in at the beginning to make sure it gets evenly dispersed) (you can add any sweetner you want, I think honey is the best but that's my personal preference) (also if the strawberries are very sweet you might be able to do with out sweetner)

throw in blender turn on blender. I didn't really measure i just eyeballed it.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Hallllooo!!!

Lets post pictures of things we've recently cooked/baked ourselves(or with the help of others) !

I hope people post, so much funnn X)

I shall begin!!

This is an old picture since I haven't taken any recent ones. LOL

n736615277_681818_1896.jpg

My first attempt at a Korean dish Bibimbap

n736615277_1523744_6039.jpg

First time ever making brownies. :doh:

n736615277_1523732_4124.jpg

First time making Pecan Pie, it was DELICIOUS...although the presentation could've been better...... as my friends all said " it looks like a bunch of cockroaches dipped in shit" :laugh:

They all tasted really good. No, I'm not saying that cause I made them! hahahaha , I barely got a chance to taste them! :steam:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am making another set of loaves of cracked wheat bread with wheat berries :yes:

we don't buy bread anymore :laugh:

here is a picture from the internet since it's in the process of baking

cracked-wheat-bread-400x400-kalynskitchen.jpg

F

figsfiggyfigs

Omf doubleEffEm that looks DELICIOUS!!!!!

and what ever, don't you get tired of making bread? since it "flies off the shelf" O_O!!!!

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Hallllooo!!!

Lets post pictures of things we've recently cooked/baked ourselves(or with the help of others) !

I hope people post, so much funnn X)

I shall begin!!

This is an old picture since I haven't taken any recent ones. LOL

First time making Pecan Pie, it was DELICIOUS...although the presentation could've been better...... as my friends all said " it looks like a bunch of cockroaches dipped in shit" :laugh:

They all tasted really good. No, I'm not saying that cause I made them! hahahaha , I barely got a chance to taste them! :steam:

Wow, an ENTJ who's a mean cook! :wubbie: I think the pecan pie looks delicious :D. Now I'm hungry :( .

F

figsfiggyfigs

Omg.. everyone is amazing... :cry:

and RISEN, I looooveee cooking!! .. I just wish I had more time to do it xD

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
3777160796_7a90f3fd97.jpg

Plain white rice soft pressed with a layer of nori in the middle. Thinly sliced pork belly, unsalted and pan seared. Korean chili paste and roasted sesame seeds. All wrapped and bite sized

(yes I do photography as well)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
3777160796_7a90f3fd97.jpg

Plain white rice soft pressed with a layer of nori in the middle. Thinly sliced pork belly, unsalted and pan seared. Korean chili paste and roasted sesame seeds. All wrapped and bite sized

(yes I do photography as well)

I would eat that.