• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Post your favourite recipes, what crap...sorry... well crafted dishes you are having for dinner etc here!

Me first :

Geoff's Red Thai Pork Curry. (serves 2)

Ingredients

60g (2 tbsp) of good quality Red Thai Curry Paste
250g (1/2 lb) of very lean pork fillet cut into small cubes
1 small handful of frozen raw king prawns (say.. 4 or so)
2tbsp olive oil (or other cooking oil if preferred)
One lime
One handful of coriander (cilantro) chopped
2 sweet red or yellow peppers, finely chopped
1 can light coconut milk (healthier than the full fat version!)
1 tsbp nam pla (thai fish sauce)
1 tbsp sugar
1 Mug (2 people measure) of uncooked Thai Jasmine Rice.

Boil the water for the rice, and put it on to simmer. It needs to be slightly more cooked than say Basmati as it should be sticky for this dish.

Heat the pan, and add 1tsbp of the oil the finely chopped peppers, stir fry briskly then turn down the heat and gently cook about 5 minutes until soft

Add the other 1tsbp of oil and the pork, and turn the heat up. Add 10g of the red thai curry paste and stir fry until the pork and peppers are nearly cooked and the paste is coated.

Add the coconut milk, the juice of 1/2 of the lime, the fish sauce and sugar and rest of the thai curry paste. Bring to the boil, stirring to mix well, throw in the raw king prawns, then turn down to a simmer. Add the coriander, and leave this all simmering while the rice finishes. It should not be reduced in volume (should stay soupy)

Serve in bowls, with the rice drowned by the curry. Service with the other half of the lime to squeeze over.

Thai paste can be adjusted for the faint or brave hearted. This quantity was medium-hot.

Lots of other things would work as well as pork/prawns. Those who dont eat any such thing can probably put in Tofu.

Enjoy! It's a great warming meal with fabulous colours and a great spicy coconut smell. Damn, I could eat it again now

-Geoff

Shimpei

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Mmmmmm, sounds great! Next time, please, post pics too!

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Well, it is permitted to substitute sweatsocks, if you don't like the authentic coriander taste.

-Geoff
Same thing!

EDIT - And after I divulged I'm feeling queasy. Meanie.

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
aww, I sometimes make a soup quite similar to this, have tried it with both prawns and tofu, both are great but if you use tofu you may have to add some more spices since the flavour of the meat is missing.

Mhh, that reminds me, I have to go to that Chinese corner shop again, I always forget to go there when I am shopping and they have sooo many great spices and sauces there that you get nowhere else, and their stuff is even really pricy. :wubbie: .

Maybe I'll post a recipe later, though I'd have to look up all the English words for the cooking stuff :coffee: .

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Same thing!

EDIT - And after I divulged I'm feeling queasy. Meanie.

Surprising though it is, I didnt especially post what is a very delicious recipe just to be mean to you :rolleyes:

....yet.

-Geoff

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
oh my
the yogurt goes on the side

Is there a recipe?
not yet

I'll post a recipe later

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Geoff's Smoked Fish Pad Thai

Geoff's Smoked Fish Pad Thai

My own recipe, made it (again) today. It went down well :)

Prep time, 10 mins
Cook time, 10 mins

One large tin stir fry vegetables (200g) (or make up your own mix from fresh veggies - bean sprouts, water chestnuts, chilli, onion etc). Today I used crunch fresh water chestnuts, 1/2 a red onion and a pointed red pepper.

6oz/200g smoked fish (I used smoked salmon trimmings) cut into stamp sized squares
400g (2 x 1 person sachet) of ready to wok pad thai rice noodles (or prepare some from dried if you cant get fresh)
2 eggs beaten into a small dish and ready to use
50 g (about 2 tbsp) of chopped peanuts or cashews
2 tbsp of fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves (exclude for feeding Rajah and other cilantro haters)
2tbsp chilli oil (preferable) or cooking oil (eg olive oil) if you dont have it
a finishing sauce made of 2 tbsp fish sauce, 4 tbsp sweet chilli sauce, 1 tbsp suger and juice of 1/2 lime all mixed up.

Heat the oil in a large wok/deep frying pan until smoking hot

add the stir fry veggies and the nuts and stir fry for about 3 mins (add some soy sauce if you like a darker stronger flavour to them)
add chopped smoked fish and fry for 2 more minutes
add fresh pad thai noodles and fry for 1 minute
add egg and stir fry quickly for 2 mins until egg has set and cooked in mix
add the finishing sauce and the fresh coriander and stir fry for 1 final minute (max.. dont dry this out).

Serves 2. Each person has one piece of the other half of the lime for squeezing on fresh - may want to also offer chilli sauce or soy sauce to add for extra spiciness.

The smoked fish comes through really well (fresh raw king prawn (large shrimp) would also work well).

Yum!

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Cafe's Modified Jumbalaya
1 Cup cooked rice
1/2lb to 1lb cubed chicken breast
Lemon Pepper
Cooking spray/oil
1/2lb skinless smoked sausage
1 Cup chicken broth
1 Cup Mexican style petite diced tomatoes
1 Can of vacuum packed sweet corn

Heat skillet.
Sprinkle chicken with lemon pepper.
Brown chicken in oil in skillet.
Slice smoked sausage into 1/2 inch pieces.
Brown sausage in skillet with chicken.
Add chicken broth, tomatoes, and rice.
Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add corn and cook uncovered for five to ten minutes.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
You modified it by taking the herbs and (hot) spices out, the holy trinity that is the basis of cajun cookery too. I'd miss the garlic and the cayenne...

Still, I'm sure it'd be good - heavy mod!

-Geoff

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
You modified it by taking the herbs and (hot) spices out, the holy trinity that is the basis of cajun cookery too. I'd miss the garlic and the cayenne...

Still, I'm sure it'd be good - heavy mod!

-Geoff
There are some spices in the Mexican tomatoes. I'm admittedly wimpy, but my mouth was burning pretty good there. Garlic and jalepeno, according to the label.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
There are some spices in the Mexican tomatoes. I'm admittedly wimpy, but my mouth was burning pretty good there. Garlic and jalepeno, according to the label.

Aha! That helps, I know what you mean now.

If you see them, try mexican (or even better, Spanish) chorizo instead of the smoked sausage.

-Geoff

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I've posted my recipes for salsa, tacos, and cock-a-leekie soup before. I'm too lazy to go find them tonight, though.