• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Sweet potato fries baked in the oven, fried crab cakes, a deep greens salad with edible flowers and lemon, and a side of peas.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
brownies (I really wanted a brownie and a cup of tea, so I just made a whole pan, ate one and gave the rest to my house mates) I also swear that baking them 10 minutes less than the minimal recommended baking time, they come out the perfect consistency

Hypatia

trying to be a very good ENTP
A yummy cigarette, haha. A bit of self-destruction is part of a life well-lived.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Breton galettes (= thin buckwheat pancakes) with smoked herring and shallots.

Hypatia

trying to be a very good ENTP
Half-crunchy half-creamy PB&J on toasted english muffin.

When I want the crunch and the creaminess of both but not as much of it.

gromit

likes this
Made a Thai green curry with lots of veggies last night. It was good.

Yummmm...

Today was a good food day for me too. Dinner was salad and dumplings (made and froze them awhile ago, just cooked them up today). Now I've got some banana trail mix muffins baking in the oven, but I'm not sure how they'll turn out.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Key lime cheesecake bars on graham cracker crust.

For the fine people at work...

[MENTION=20856]grey_beard[/MENTION], [MENTION=13943]Pinker85[/MENTION] --

Key Lime Swirl Cheesecake Bars

Crust:
2 cups graham crackers
8 tbsp (1 US stick) unsalted butter, melted
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 10×10
pan with parchment that overhangs the edges. Mix the butter and graham crackers together and press into the bottom of the pan evenly. Bake crust for 5 minutes and allow to cool completely.
Filling:

2 bricks (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs plus one large egg white
2 tbsp all purpose flour

1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 cup prepared lime curd, divided (recipe
below)

Liquid green food coloring
Liquid yellow food coloring
Tint the 3/4 cup of lime curd with the liquid food coloring until lime-rind green. You will use a few drops of both green and yellow food coloring. Set lime curd aside.
Beat cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl with mixer on medium high speed until smooth. Beat in eggs on low speed, 1 at a time. Beat in sour cream and vanilla, then flour just until blended. Remove 1 cup of batter and reserve. Pour the rest of the batter over the crust.

Mix 1/2 cup of tinted lime curd with the 1 cup of reserved batter. Place spoonfuls or dollops of this mixture in no particular fashion on top of the plain cheesecake batter. Dollop the remaining 1/4 cup of lime curd across the previous mixture. Use skewer to swirl the mixtures together to create a marbleized effect.
Bake for 35 minutes at 325 degrees F. Let cool completely in pan then refrigerate. Lift cheesecake out of the pan with parchment overhang. Cut into bars before serving.
Lime Curd
8 tbsp (1 US. stick) unsalted butter,
softened at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1/3 cup plus 4 tbsp. fresh lime juice

Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl using an
electric mixer. Slowly add the eggs and yolks one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Pour in lime juice and mix again. Expect the mixture to look curdled, this is normal.

Cook the mixture over medium heat in a
medium-size saucepan until it looks smooth (no longer curdled.) Increase the heat slightly and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens. Clip a thermometer to the side of the pan and cook until the mixture reaches 170 degrees.
Remove the curd from the heat. Transfer the curd to a bowl and press plastic wrap on the surface of the lime curd to keep a skin from forming. Chill the curd in the refrigerator. The curd will thicken further as it cools. Covered tightly, it will keep in the refrigerator for a week and in the freezer for 2 months.

Pinker85

[MENTION=20856]grey_beard[/MENTION]

Man, those are some lucky co-workers. This recipe looks fantastic! Anything I should be aware of or watch out for?

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20856]grey_beard[/MENTION]

Man, those are some lucky co-workers. This recipe looks fantastic! Anything I should be aware of or watch out for?
[MENTION=13943]Pinker85[/MENTION] --

Yeah, watch the temperature on the lime filling when you're heating it.
And just a drop or two of green food coloring, and one drop of yellow, worked for me.

Pinker85

Awesome. Thanks! I might swirl several colors and try to make sunflowers for each individual square. Will post photos!

W

WhoCares

Fillet mignon (1.5" thick) sauted 3mins each side in a shitload of butter, then place the lid on the pan and let it sit on medium heat for another 3min. Remove from heat and let sit for 10mins. Butter has now become a yummy jus serve with steamed pumpkin.

The kitties approved....:D

gromit

likes this
I do not know what I just made but it is damn tasty.

Sort of a mac n cheese thing but, instead of pasta, used half quinoa half grated zucchini.

I might have ODed on macadamia nuts a little bit (earlier this afternoon) so I needed something pretty veg-dominant for a light dinner.

wolfy

awsm
I do not know what I just made but it is damn tasty.

Sort of a mac n cheese thing but, instead of pasta, used half quinoa half grated zucchini.

I might have ODed on macadamia nuts a little bit (earlier this afternoon) so I needed something pretty veg-dominant for a light dinner.

Sounds nice. Quinoa is really good. Good for leaning out.

W

WhoCares

Accidental ricotta, I am fridgeless at the moment and although the days are cool milk has been culturing on my kitchen bench for 48hrs in the carton. It did not in any way smell or taste off. There was no taint at all. But when I steamed the milk with my espresso machine this morning it turned into ricotta. I drained off the whey, tasted it, perfect ricotta then scooped it onto my steamed vegetable breakfast and enjoyed. Well....thats one way not to waste a pint of milk. :newwink: And an easy way to make ricotta cheese. :mellow:

W

WhoCares

Roasted coffee beans. Four batches....

Ethiopian Limu Kossa - very fruity, notes of ripe berry fruits, medium acidity and stone fruits with a hint of orange peel.
Ehtiopian Yirgacheffe Special Prep - floral fruity, not a lot of difference between this and the other ethiopian I have.
Bali Shinzan - Chocolate bomb with hints of coconut and spice
Indonesian Kuda Mas - not as nice as the Sulawesi Blue I normally like but dark, spicey and fruit cakey which is typical of Indonesian beans.

Although I'm a coffee snob, I'm also a heathen and roast my beans in a saucepan on the stove. I cannot be bothered with elaborate getups involving hacked breadmakers and paint torches. No thanks what comes off my stove is just fine thanks. I like the fact each roast is sightly different and has a different character to the last. I'm also a low-tech kind of person.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
On Friday, I made jasmine rice mixed with barley (cooked them in the same pot together, turned out fine), squash, grilled chicken strips, thyme, and black pepper. Turned out better than my usual; I guess it's the thyme because that's the first time I've used it. Side salad of dry spinach leaves and tomatoes with French dressing. I was originally just going to mix in the spinach and tomato with the rest of the chicken/rice stuff, but it got crowded.

gromit

likes this
On Friday, I made jasmine rice mixed with barley (cooked them in the same pot together, turned out fine), squash, grilled chicken strips, thyme, and black pepper. Turned out better than my usual; I guess it's the thyme because that's the first time I've used it. Side salad of dry spinach leaves and tomatoes with French dressing. I was originally just going to mix in the spinach and tomato with the rest of the chicken/rice stuff, but it got crowded.

Sounds good. I love barley! Esp in a soup...