• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Made some pistachio brittle last night. Hoping it turns out alright.

gromit

likes this
It means you are currently living at an altitude of 3000 m.

Where are you? La Paz, Quito? Mexico, Addis Ababa? Tibet?
:)

Nah currently in Denver, so only about half that I think. I think the thermometer was wonky in addition to the effects of altitude.

gromit

likes this
Today I was TRYING to make fudge to give as holiday treats. But as I was halfway through heating the sugar, I remembered that probably the altitude affects the process. I read a few websites about what to do, tried to "calibrate" my thermometer in a pot of boiling water (it actually was boiling at 90C if you can believe that). But I'm afraid I adjusted the temperature in the wrong direction so the sugar didn't get heated to a high enough temperature at all.

Ah well, it's cooling in the fridge now, so we'll see in a little bit how it turns out.

I did a PB/chocolate layered one and then just a plain old chocolate.

They are still a little more gummy than I would have wanted, at least the one I took out of the pot first. I don't know. Somehow the parts I scooped off from around the edge of the pot seem to have gotten to the right temperature but the parts from the middle of the pot not so much. Weirdly I stirred it all together before scooping so it should be even.

It is slowly firming up in the fridge, so I'm just going to leave it in there until the last minute and then cut/wrap them right before I go.

Candy is so finicky!

gromit

likes this
I apparently sure do love this thread lately. But here they are all wrapped up to go out...

IMG_0420.jpgIMG_0421.jpg

The chocolate was still kinda gooey on the PB/choc ones, but ah well.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Reading this, I more and more get the feeling that God is indeed male, cause he created american woman ! With german woman its only always: salad, salad salad :dry: :D

Hahah, I eat a lot of greens (there's a lot of variety/flavor in salads).. and I eat a lot of poultry & fish. Bison's surprisingly healthy, unlike other.. hooved animal meat. Rarely make it though, it's expensive.. probably because we hunted them to near-extinction in the 19th century..

But overall, true.. a lot of American chicks don't "just eat salad."

And if there is a God.. surely He must be a cat.. one that's pissed at how the universe turned out so far.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Candy is so finicky!
The first time I made peanut brittle (2009) it went just fine and I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. When I tried to make it a year later, it did not go well at all. So I tossed to first batch and tried again. That didn't work either. :unsure:

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have cinnamon roll dough rising for tomorrow morning. Just finished making dinner for myself, pasta with chicken and vodka sauce.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The first time I made peanut brittle (2009) it went just fine and I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. When I tried to make it a year later, it did not go well at all. So I tossed to first batch and tried again. That didn't work either. :unsure:

My pistachio brittle failed too. Stupid sugar.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Turkey cheese fries. a bag of frozen fries a pound of ground turkey greek seasoning and Velveeta cook fries and brown turkey with seasoning once fries are done put the turkey and Velveeta on put back in the oven for five minutes

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How to not take advantage of fettuccine: Fettuccine noodles, tomato sauce, red bell peppers, lima beans, some spices I haven't decided yet. Maybe minced garlic, too. Crackers and sliced cheese on the side.

(I'm not big on Alfredo sauce.)

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Nooooo! :(

I used to make fudge all the time and I had better luck with it using ice water baths than I do with the candy thermometer. :shrug: Candy can be a pain. It would be a good excuse to invest in some copper cookwear though, right?

I am making kung pao chicken tonight...I think.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nooooo! :(

I used to make fudge all the time and I had better luck with it using ice water baths than I do with the candy thermometer. :shrug: Candy can be a pain. It would be a good excuse to invest in some copper cookwear though, right?

I am making kung pao chicken tonight...I think.

Ugh yeah. Too finicky for a freewheeler like me. It just sounded so good and I thought I'd give it out for the holidays. Bah humbug. :)

Kung pao chicken sounds good. I made some cut okra with soy sauce and garlic today. No candy thermometer required!

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Kung pao chicken sounds good. I made some cut okra with soy sauce and garlic today. No candy thermometer required!

I didn't make it...too sick tonight. Can you send me some okra over?

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I made steel cut oatmeal to eat for breakfast tomorrow. :)

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't make it...too sick tonight. Can you send me some okra over?

:( sorry yer sick.

Got some chicken noodle soup from my mamma in the fridge too. I'll send some with the okra.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I tried again last night, and it turned out pretty well. A few of the peanuts got a little burned during the part where you heat it up to 300 degrees while stirring constantly, but it tastes fine for the most part. :D I rarely get to use my candy thermometer.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
curry though I might have put in too much tofu and vegetables it was delicious first time making it.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Last night I made chicken parmasean and italian spinach.

This morning I'm making country ham egg and cheese biscuits. I started making them for myself then everyone else decided decided they wanted one :dry:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Presently baking a red potato. Marinating some wild Pacific rockfish in Worcestershire sauce, a little olive oil, & turmeric. Tossing in the oven in 45min, so it's done the same time as the potato.
Sauteeing some fresh chopped kale with a bit of sea salt & pepper while the fish bakes.

I'm hungry now.. dammit I should have started earlier.