• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Mmmm, meatball pizza.

meatballpizzaax4.jpg

Heh.. there is a different thread for posting pictures of food you would like to make us jealous about. This is the one for posting the actual recipes so we can feed ourselves!!

/J

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
so i made an awesome omlete last night so yummy and satisfying

first a fried some bacon then I sauted leeks and onions and haloumi in the grease

then i broke 3 eggs added salt pepper and a dash of hot sauce and beat a long time.

then i turned the heat to low put a pat of butter in the pan cooked the eggs then crumbled the bacon put in the onion mixture mozarella, cheddar, and colby jack

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Mmmm, meatball pizza.

The next time you make meatball pizza I insist on being invited. I will fly.

Alternately you could just tell me how to make it, since this is the RECIPES thread and all.

I don't do recipes, for the most part. I am starting to get better at just throwing shit together. At Geoff's suggestion I bought some curry spices so I've been experimenting with those. The best results were actually some modified leftovers from last time I made a vegetable stew (basically peas, potatoes, carrots, corn, green beans, and a few others- whatever I have on hand- boiled for a while with V8 juice and/or spaghetti sauce with some kind of grain, like couscous or rice or quinoa added in the last 10-15 minutes or so). It was a day old and had thickened nicely in the pot so I added the curry powder plus some Sakthi chili powder my sister's Indian mother-in-law gave me. We ate it dipped up on Trader Joe's naan bread. OMG so good!

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
The next time you make meatball pizza I insist on being invited. I will fly.

Alternately you could just tell me how to make it, since this is the RECIPES thread and all.

I don't do recipes, for the most part. I am starting to get better at just throwing shit together. At Geoff's suggestion I bought some curry spices so I've been experimenting with those. The best results were actually some modified leftovers from last time I made a vegetable stew (basically peas, potatoes, carrots, corn, green beans, and a few others- whatever I have on hand- boiled for a while with V8 juice and/or spaghetti sauce with some kind of grain, like couscous or rice or quinoa added in the last 10-15 minutes or so). It was a day old and had thickened nicely in the pot so I added the curry powder plus some Sakthi chili powder my sister's Indian mother-in-law gave me. We ate it dipped up on Trader Joe's naan bread. OMG so good!

Well, at least you are trying.

Ok, how to liven up a chicken that you want to roast.

Take about 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and halved (so, 10 pieces)

Cut little holes in the chicken in the breast and legs and various places.. slot the garlic in, through the skin.

Take a lemon, zest the lemon over the chicken. Squeeze the lemon over the chicken, put the pieces inside the chicken.

Sprinkle chicken with a tablespoon of dried basil.

Roast the chicken. Eat the chicken.

Easy eh? And the juices in the roasting pan with the lemon juice and basil leeched into them make a great base for a gravy.

I made this up, but it works well and has a second user recommendation from "S" :D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Well, at least you are trying.

Ok, how to liven up a chicken that you want to roast.

Take about 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and halved (so, 10 pieces)

Cut little holes in the chicken in the breast and legs and various places.. slot the garlic in, through the skin.

Take a lemon, zest the lemon over the chicken. Squeeze the lemon over the chicken, put the pieces inside the chicken.

Sprinkle chicken with a tablespoon of dried basil.

Roast the chicken. Eat the chicken.

Easy eh? And the juices in the roasting pan with the lemon juice and basil leeched into them make a great base for a gravy.

I made this up, but it works well and has a second user recommendation from "S" :D

I have to make that I have everything but the garlic. I just have two breasts (not boneless skinless). I can't eat a whole chicken by myself.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have to make that I have everything but the garlic. I just have two breasts (not boneless skinless). I can't eat a whole chicken by myself.

dont worry, ill help you eat the whole chicken.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Cajun cuisine (and derails to other food categories)

I used to be completely oblivious of this until about a year ago when I stumbled upon it on teh great webz. I read about it while really hungry, and it just happened to be that I had enough things in my refrigerator to make Jambalaya. Since then i've tried several different variations of ètouffée, jambalaya, brochettes and gumbo. I've also made some kind of jambalaya-like dish with crayfish tails, fried rice, garlic, tabasco, cayenne pepper and a tiny tiny bit of curry to color the rice, red onion, corn and chopped leek on the top.

053107-crayfishetouffee.jpg

I have got to say that this kind of food pretty much beats most other things out there. I love these huge mixes of things, it's just so rich in taste. :blush:

A thing I would like to try out is that weird cajun sausage, andouille. It sounds really delicious, but it's nowhere to be found on this side of the atlantic :cry:

Are there any chefs with experience out there who have any tips and hints for us beginners?

Roux or not when it comes to ètouffée? If not What should be used instead to achieve perfection? If roux, oil or butter???

266550_f260.jpg

Come on, post recipes and things! I'd like to hear how you make Jambalaya!

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
I think Cajun food is great and just love Jambalaya; the many varieties are mindblowing.

For an added bit of zing I add hot sauce from Jamaica, made from scotch bonnet chilli. Add it at the rice and stock stage.

enc-original.jpg

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'll have to get my hands on that. I use Chipotle tabasco.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I use half olive oil and half butter whenever I'm going to brown a light-colored meat such as pork or chicken. The butter gives it a rich flavor and the oil keeps it from burning so easily. Start with your pan hot and sear both sides, then turn it down to brown the meat.

If you like stuffed bell peppers, rice, chopped onion, diced tomatoes, ground beef, cajun seasoning, salt, pepper and a little ketchup make a good stuffing. Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and blanch them for a couple of min. in boiling water, drain and dry. Add the stuffing and shred some medium chedddar cheese on top. Bake them in a greased pan at 350 degrees for about half an hour.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Cajun and other food merged into recipes and cookery thread - as low activity levels, shouldnt be too distracting

Oh, and I love cajun.. in fact I had some cajun chicken breast stir fry over wild rice yesterday :)

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dammit, Geoff! Cajun cuisine really, really deserves its own thread ;)

Edit: I'm gonna invade you, beware of the kilt! :D

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
well, if it becomes worthy of one, I'll cull it back out.

Jamabalaya yep... one of my favourites.. I make it much like a spanish paella, but make sure I start with the cajun holy trinity. The trick is to use good quality fresh chorizo, or a decent smokey sausage if not.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Oh, and I edited the thread title.. maybe that will appease ya. Meh.