User Tag List

Page 8 of 227 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    How adventurous are they and you...

If not : I suggest a venison and red pepper stew (think I posted the recipe somewhere) - it's easy and nice and warming for guests. It can be made ahead, left to simmer for the day and best gravy everrrrr! Good with a baked potato or sweet potato.

If they are... world is your oyster... how about something like a thai curry made ahead as well, and then just rice boiled for when the guest are ready to eat..?
    Ooo Thai Curry you say? I'll have to go back and collect this recipe and consider making this.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII

Thai Curry Pork

Is this what you suggest I make?

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Thai Curry Pork

Is this what you suggest I make?
    That's a good thai curry, yep. My suggestion is to make something like this ahead, with all but the prawns and then just simmer on a very low heat (eg in a crock pot). Stir in the raw prawns/shrimp about 10 mins before you want to eat, and then boil your rice (thai jasmine, naturally) for your guests.

Serve with naan bread, as well. Oh, and fresh lime can be good. Hmm. Try some indonesian style crackers as a go-with - or some duck spring rolls and a hoisin sauce (all of these are just ready-to-go oven stuff).

Dessert would be a nice sharp sorbet.. like a mango sorbet.

-Geoff

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII

That's a good thai curry, yep. My suggestion is to make something like this ahead, with all but the prawns and then just simmer on a very low heat (eg in a crock pot). Stir in the raw prawns/shrimp about 10 mins before you want to eat, and then boil your rice (thai jasmine, naturally) for your guests.

Serve with naan bread, as well. Oh, and fresh lime can be good. Hmm. Try some indonesian style crackers as a go-with - or some duck spring rolls and a hoisin sauce (all of these are just ready-to-go oven stuff).

Dessert would be a nice sharp sorbet.. like a mango sorbet.

-Geoff
    I actually have a brilliant idea. I may (if they indeed like indian food) call ahead and pick it up!

MBTI
    INXP

I actually have a brilliant idea. I may (if they indeed like indian food) call ahead and pick it up!
    Indian food? Oh, I'm talking about Thai, but I suspect that would work well, too.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII

Indian food? Oh, I'm talking about Thai, but I suspect that would work well, too.
    Any kind of curry works for us here in the states as it's not as delectable as it is in the UK. iow we takes what we can gets. :P

MBTI
    INXP

Any kind of curry works for us here in the states as it's not as delectable as it is in the UK. iow we takes what we can gets. :P
    This one is really easy

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post137120

If you do go indian (even if you buy it). Get in some poppadoms (big crispy things) and some decent mango chutney. Both as a starter, and then as a thing (the chutney) to stir into the curry. Trust me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Indian food...
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII

This one is really easy

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post137120

If you do go indian (even if you buy it). Get in some poppadoms (big crispy things) and some decent mango chutney. Both as a starter, and then as a thing (the chutney) to stir into the curry. Trust me.
    Ok, unless our guests don't eat beef I am going to make this. It seems easy enough and after checking out the reviews of our local Indian restaurants I think we'll be much safer with food out of my kitchen. Now if I can just figure out where I can get some Nan bread.

Thanks Geoff!

MBTI
    INXP

Ok, unless our guests don't eat beef I am going to make this. It seems easy enough and after checking out the reviews of our local Indian restaurants I think we'll be much safer with food out of my kitchen. Now if I can just figure out where I can get some Nan bread.

Thanks Geoff!
    The Naan bread isnt that essential. If not available just do a bit of extra rice and try and find some ready to bake in the oven indian snacks like samosa's or even something a bit chinese like spring rolls will go nicely as a starter in the same vein, even though from the wrong country.

I've usually been able to find a few indian ingredients in North America - the Patak's pastes or something very similar are usually there in the larger grocery stores.

Good luck and report back! If they don't like this, they will not be satisfied with any sort of curry. It is essential that you serve the mango chutney as a condiment, and encourage people to stir a tablespoon full into their meal as they eat it.