User Tag List

Page 57 of 227 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

I had some veggies and ground beef nearing the end of the line, so I cobbled together a white trash shepherd's pie with ground beef, onions, peppers, broccoli, and Kraft Homestyle mac and cheese. It was better than it had a right to be.

Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp

^^Ooh, the red wine to boot!! You eat in style, my friend. The meal looks tasty - great comfort food.

A few days ago I made Split Pea Soup. Yum!! It's usually an annual thing... right around mid-October I crave it.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

figsfiggyfigs

Im sooooooooooooooooooo hungry.

i made some quick donair sammiches, and a pineapple/apple strawberry yogurt salad! <3

figsfiggyfigs

God damn double post.

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

there is currently a lasagna that I made baking in the oven... it smells lovely
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    xntj

Woke up hungry today so I cobbled together a quick vermicelli noodle stirfry with reconstituted shitakes, chinese sausage, egg, green onions and both types of soy sauce. It was okay. Needed some baby bok choi. Maybe I'll have veggies only for dinner or none at all.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Woke up hungry today so I cobbled together a quick vermicelli noodle stirfry with reconstituted shitakes, chinese sausage, egg, green onions and both types of soy sauce. It was okay. Needed some baby bok choi. Maybe I'll have veggies only for dinner or none at all.
    Do you cook out of enjoyment/as a hobby, or are you a professional chef? You seem to know a lot about it!! If the former, was it all self-taught & experimentation?
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    xntj

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Do you cook out of enjoyment/as a hobby, or are you a professional chef? You seem to know a lot about it!! If the former, was it all self-taught & experimentation?
    Just a hobbyist. My grandfather was a chef so it's a learn or be minimalised kind of familial environment. If you can't reproduce what you've eaten elsewhere without a recipe, you're less than nobody.

But thanks, I'm flattered.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Just a hobbyist. My grandfather was a chef so it's a learn or be minimalised kind of familial environment. If you can't reproduce what you've eaten elsewhere without a recipe, you're less than nobody.

But thanks, I'm flattered.
    Ah, funny. That's cool though. I'm just a bit in awe of those with an intuitive knack for cooking. I mean, I don't consider myself a bad cook by any means, but I do tend to need recipes. Then I'm fine. My brother, on the other hand... he has never really needed/used recipes and comes up with some of the best dishes with some very bizarre ingredients that you'd never guess would work well together. I know in his first couple of years of doing it he had some serious Fails, so there was some trial by error for sure, but still... I think there's definitely a talent for it, and some are very gifted at it. It's only recently that I've begun to branch out a *little* bit in terms of not using recipes and just experimenting, and I've had some success - but I'll never be anywhere close to my brothers' talent.

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    xntj

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Ah, funny. That's cool though. I'm just a bit in awe of those with an intuitive knack for cooking. I mean, I don't consider myself a bad cook by any means, but I do tend to need recipes. Then I'm fine. My brother, on the other hand... he has never really needed/used recipes and comes up with some of the best dishes with some very bizarre ingredients that you'd never guess would work well together. I know in his first couple of years of doing it he had some serious Fails, so there was some trial by error for sure, but still... I think there's definitely a talent for it, and some are very gifted at it. It's only recently that I've begun to branch out a *little* bit in terms of not using recipes and just experimenting, and I've had some success - but I'll never be anywhere close to my brothers' talent.
    Don't be so quick to minimalise your own talents. You whipped up those recipes provided to you in a hurry and they turned out the first time, so this means you do have a knack, considering how unfamiliar you were with saffron.

Just pay attention to everything you eat outside of what you've cooked and take them apart through taste. It won't be long with this and experimenting, that you'll get a feel of what spices or combinations delight your palate, so then your experimenting will become a combination of experience and fun. Also, for now, start messing with your current recipes. Which spice or herb tantalises? If so, add a bit more. Yuck, dislike too much thyme, then reduce.