• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know if anyone has told you this yet, but "good carbs" include things like beans, lentils, brown bread (the darker the better), brown rice, bananas (yes bananas, they affect your glycemic index in a good way, I'm so glad I love them), and oatmeal.

I'm pretty sure you can still eat good carbs as a diabetic, or that would just be unhealthy. Balance this stuff with lean protein [chicken, eggs, fish, cottage cheese (whey protein)], veggies, milk, unsweetened plain yogurt (or try unsweetened kefir, it's really good), etc.

:yes:

Diabetics need carbs, just like everyone else. They just need to be a bit more careful.
I need to brush up on my glycemic index.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I just looked it up and borscht seems to be low-carb - I thought it was, as long as you don't use too many potatoes. Potatoes aren't as evil as things like white bread, anyway.

It's very nutritious because it's basically a vegetable soup, and you can make it with or without meat, and flavor it with sour cream.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just looked it up and borscht seems to be low-carb - I thought it was, as long as you don't use too many potatoes. Potatoes aren't as evil as things like white bread, anyway.

It's very nutritious because it's basically a vegetable soup, and you can make it with or without meat, and flavor it with sour cream.

Yum, I'll have to try it. :) (Not that I'm a low carb girl), but it sounds good anyway. :yes:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yum, I'll have to try it. :) (Not that I'm a low carb girl), but it sounds good anyway. :yes:

I actually don't do low-carb very often, I do it for a few days to a week, and I never do "real" low-carb...I'm always at least eating beans, fruits, dairy and vegetables. When I say I'm doing "low carb" I just mean I'm also avoiding brown rice, cereals, and whole grain bread for a few days. But I do eat bread and rice, normally.

ANYWAY, I have a really good recipe, and the recipe I have is actually not super low carb ...but potatoes are actually considered "good carbs" (yes, yes they are, as long as they're boiled or baked and eaten in moderation).

I love this particular borscht recipe that I found, and others seem to be quite fond of it, too.

Patches could make it, leave the potatoes out if she wanted, and would have nutritious lower-carb soup for several days.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I made tuna stuffed tomatoes and sauteed swiss chard with garlic, lemon and fresh parmesan. Fresh strawberries and whipped cream for dessert.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I actually don't do low-carb very often, I do it for a few days to a week, and I never do "real" low-carb...I'm always at least eating beans, fruits, dairy and vegetables. When I say I'm doing "low carb" I just mean I'm also avoiding brown rice, cereals, and whole grain bread for a few days. But I do eat bread and rice, normally.

ANYWAY, I have a really good recipe, and the recipe I have is actually not super low carb ...but potatoes are actually considered "good carbs" (yes, yes they are, as long as they're boiled or baked and eaten in moderation).

I love this particular borscht recipe that I found, and others seem to be quite fond of it, too.

Patches could make it, leave the potatoes out if she wanted, and would have nutritious lower-carb soup for several days.

It looks really good, but I don't like lamb.... Maybe Patches does? That would be a delish low carb dish, and yeah, maybe leave out the potatoes or just cut down on them a bit.

A

Anew Leaf

Nothing today, but I am planning on a dinner party in a month where I shall make my famous Galaxy Guacamole.... Patent pending.... greatest guacamole in the entire world. nay universe. nay multiverse.

oh yeah. i went there.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I made my mom's recipe for stir fry chicken, turned out pretty good!

IMG_0806.jpg

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It looks really good, but I don't like lamb.... Maybe Patches does? That would be a delish low carb dish, and yeah, maybe leave out the potatoes or just cut down on them a bit.

You can make it with beef. Do you like beef?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
after learning pink slime is added to ground beef I've stopped eating it, but I love burgers and stuff with ground beef. And yes I can eat ground turkey, but honestly turkey is my least favorite meat. Anyone know if I got organic grass fed free range ground beef if that have pink slime in it?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Made an awesome green smoothie for breakfast! Spinach, strawberries, blackberries, apple juice and some chia seed. So tasty!

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Quessstiiioon!
So I somehow got looped into baking for Easter. Any suggestions for fairly-easy, Eastery items? :huh:

I checked Allrecipes and Foodnetwork and am at a bit of a loss.
I'm thinking a carrot cake, but it's out of my usual baking field.
I only know for a fact that I'm making an eastery version of these Sweetheart Cupcakes

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Hmmmm. The first thing that popped into my head was the commercial that Kellogg has been running with the rice krispy treat eggs. You just shape them into eggs. You can hollow them out and fill them with candy, or drizzle chocolate on them. Ive never done it myself, but the advertising industry has me convinced it's a good idea. Rice Krispy Treats are easy to make. Rolling them around in sprinkles. The possibilities are endless.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hmmmm. The first thing that popped into my head was the commercial that Kellogg has been running with the rice krispy treat eggs. You just shape them into eggs. You can hollow them out and fill them with candy, or drizzle chocolate on them. Ive never done it myself, but the advertising industry has me convinced it's a good idea. Rice Krispy Treats are easy to make. Rolling them around in sprinkles. The possibilities are endless.
If we had more kids in the family, I'd totally go for it. :laugh:
I actually did see a recipe for some.. amped up.. rice krispy treats. They had fruity pebbles & speckled-pastel jellybeans. It looked like Easter bunny vomit lol.

T

ThatGirl

Yeah, speaking with my family again comes with some weird side effects. I got roped into making a ricotta cheesecake. I am starting it after everyone goes to bed tonight.

Reviews pending.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Dude, I made the best quiche the other night.

I sauteed six cups of raw spinach leaves with a small carton of fresh mushrooms, a chopped red onion, and a few chopped cloves of garlic in olive oil. I actually sauteed the spinach down first before sauteeing the other veggies because there were so many leaves and the volume reduces considerably after cooking...I recommend setting the cooked spinach aside, sauteeing the onion and garlic, and then adding the mushrooms, and finally throw the spinach back in when everything else has properly softened.

THEN I shredded 1/4 and chopped about 3/4 of a pound of fresh mozzerella. I put the 3/4 that was cubed in with the sauteed veggies to melt it and mix it up a bit.

I beat four eggs with just a little skim milk in a seperate bowl.

I took a thawed frozen deep-dish pie crust (you can make your own, but that's the one thing I didn't make from scratch) and first carefully added the veggie and cheese mixture before even more carefully pouring the beaten eggs over and making sure it was all evenly set.

The quiche then went, uncovered, in an oven pre-heated to 350 for fifteen to twenty minutes before adding the remaining shredded cheese to the top of the quiche and baking an additional 30-40 minutes.

I recommend putting a cookie sheet or a dripping pan underneath the quiche in case it overflows to avoid scorching on the bottom of the oven, which can fill your entire house with smoke.

Let the quiche set 10-20 minutes before cutting it into pie wedges and serving. You could eat it alone or with a few slices of fresh tomato, or a lettuce salad.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I found out today that the quiche ingredients are good minus the eggs, pie shell, and baking....I just stir fried the same veggies: spinach, mushrooms, onions, garlic in olive oil ...then drained some of the oil and scooped them on top of a couple of small slices of toasted French bread with a couple of slices of fresh tomato and fresh mozzerella (uncooked). Salt and pepper. Voila.

This is really good and is quicker than the quiche, probably less fat and calories too since the eggs are missing.