• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Dana's Sugar Cookies

To make one dozen cookies:

Cookie Dough Ingredients
  • 1/4c unsalted butter
  • 2c flour
  • 1/2c vegetable shortening
  • 1c sugar
  • 3/4tsp salt
  • 1tsp vanilla
  • 2tsp baking soda
  • 1 egg
1. Melt vegetable shortening and butter atop stove.
2. Put it in a large mixing bowl and in the freezer for about fifteen minutes (until becomes thick and relatively stiff).
3. Take the mixing bowl out of freezer and add egg, vanilla and sugar. Blend until smooth.
4. In a separate bowl, sift flour and blend with baking soda and salt.
5. Blend flour mixture into the wet ingredients slowly, as not too add too much (very easy mistake to make).
6. Roll cookie dough out with rolling pin. Use a drinking glass as a cookie cutter.
7. Flip cookie cut-outs onto a plate of sugar, as to get a coat of sugar onto each side.
8. Put the cookies on a pan, at least 2 inches apart.
9. Put near top of oven at 375 degrees.
10. Take them out when they have risen and begin to fall.

If you want to ice your cookies, there are decorative icing recipes on the internet.

Jive A Turkey

MBTI Type
INFP
Hey Sugar Cookie,
That's interesting. I've never heated, blended, and solidified the fat side of cookies, or any dish for that matter, before. Have you found an advantage to the use of this method?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Well sugar cookies are different than regular cookies.. They are a lot thicker. I've always melted the butter and vegetable oil for them, but I never ever ever melt the butter for regular (chocolate chip) cookies.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Oh.. how could I forget.

I always make my sugar cookies with lemon frosting... Make the frosting w/ powdered sugar, salt, milk, vanilla, lemon extract, and yellow food coloring.

I will put up the amounts later, if necessary, but it's pretty easy to make frosting.

S

sammy

Some recipes here I want to try making! Shimpei's dishes look amazing :)

Something I've been playing around with for a year now, mostly because of its simplicity, taste and flexibility*:

Four-cheese Spicy Vegetable Pasta:

-Two jars of four-cheese alfredo sauce
-Two small cans of black olives, already sliced (makes your life easier)
-One large red bell pepper
-One large green bell pepper
-Fresh Rosemary sprigs (at least 6 sprigs)
-Fresh Chives (a generous handful will do)
-One large tomato
-A head of Broccoli
-Paprika
-Salt
-Dried Parsley
-One box of farafelle shells -bowties (it really doesn't matter what shell pasta you use, but this one has proven the best for collecting the flavors)

Directions:

1. Add to the water four-five tablespoons of paprika and salt.
2. When the water comes to a boil, add the shells of your choice.
3. While the shells are boiling (let them cook for at least 10 minutes), begin cutting vegetables and opening the cans of olives
4. Pour sauces into a separate pan, low heat.
5. Add paprika to the sauce, as much as you want. (I usually put at least one and a half teaspoons to get a real kick which won't kill my tongue once you add the vegetables etc)
6. Add the chopped up vegetables and such to the sauce once it has started to heat up a little. Turn up the heat and let it come to a short boil, then turn down the heat to medium and let the vegetables cook for less than 10 minutes.
7. Drain the shells thoroughly. Add them to the sauce mixture once the sauce and vegetables are completely cooked.
8. Add dried parsley to the pasta dish as generously as you want. It looks pretty and tastes good!
9. Serves at least 6 hungry folks :)

*Flexible because if you do not have one of these vegetables, don't fret, there are other substitutes which will do; the absence of one thing will not sacrifice the overall texture of the dish.

MBTI Type
INTJ
That pasta sounds delicious! And there are just enough vegetables to make you think you're eating something healthy despite all the Alfredo sauce :)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
OMG it's Phil O'Nightmare, my favorite Scottish goth! :D

I may make that pasta tonight. I think I have everything here that I would need, except for the sauce.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
We're having dinner guests over Sat night and I want to make something yummy! Any suggestions?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
We're having dinner guests over Sat night and I want to make something yummy! Any suggestions?

How adventurous are they and you...

If not : I suggest a venison and red pepper stew (think I posted the recipe somewhere) - it's easy and nice and warming for guests. It can be made ahead, left to simmer for the day and best gravy everrrrr! Good with a baked potato or sweet potato.

If they are... world is your oyster... how about something like a thai curry made ahead as well, and then just rice boiled for when the guest are ready to eat..?

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
How adventurous are they and you...

If not : I suggest a venison and red pepper stew (think I posted the recipe somewhere) - it's easy and nice and warming for guests. It can be made ahead, left to simmer for the day and best gravy everrrrr! Good with a baked potato or sweet potato.

If they are... world is your oyster... how about something like a thai curry made ahead as well, and then just rice boiled for when the guest are ready to eat..?
Ooo Thai Curry you say? I'll have to go back and collect this recipe and consider making this. :drool:

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Thai Curry Pork

Is this what you suggest I make?

That's a good thai curry, yep. My suggestion is to make something like this ahead, with all but the prawns and then just simmer on a very low heat (eg in a crock pot). Stir in the raw prawns/shrimp about 10 mins before you want to eat, and then boil your rice (thai jasmine, naturally) for your guests.

Serve with naan bread, as well. Oh, and fresh lime can be good. Hmm. Try some indonesian style crackers as a go-with - or some duck spring rolls and a hoisin sauce (all of these are just ready-to-go oven stuff).

Dessert would be a nice sharp sorbet.. like a mango sorbet.

-Geoff

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
That's a good thai curry, yep. My suggestion is to make something like this ahead, with all but the prawns and then just simmer on a very low heat (eg in a crock pot). Stir in the raw prawns/shrimp about 10 mins before you want to eat, and then boil your rice (thai jasmine, naturally) for your guests.

Serve with naan bread, as well. Oh, and fresh lime can be good. Hmm. Try some indonesian style crackers as a go-with - or some duck spring rolls and a hoisin sauce (all of these are just ready-to-go oven stuff).

Dessert would be a nice sharp sorbet.. like a mango sorbet.

-Geoff
I actually have a brilliant idea. I may (if they indeed like indian food) call ahead and pick it up! :alttongue:

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I actually have a brilliant idea. I may (if they indeed like indian food) call ahead and pick it up! :alttongue:

Indian food? Oh, I'm talking about Thai, but I suspect that would work well, too.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Indian food? Oh, I'm talking about Thai, but I suspect that would work well, too.
Any kind of curry works for us here in the states as it's not as delectable as it is in the UK. :) iow we takes what we can gets. :p

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
This one is really easy

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/home-garden-cooking/148-recipes-cookery-6.html#post137120

If you do go indian (even if you buy it). Get in some poppadoms (big crispy things) and some decent mango chutney. Both as a starter, and then as a thing (the chutney) to stir into the curry. Trust me.
Ok, unless our guests don't eat beef I am going to make this. It seems easy enough and after checking out the reviews of our local Indian restaurants I think we'll be much safer with food out of my kitchen. Now if I can just figure out where I can get some Nan bread. :thinking:

Thanks Geoff! :smile:

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Ok, unless our guests don't eat beef I am going to make this. It seems easy enough and after checking out the reviews of our local Indian restaurants I think we'll be much safer with food out of my kitchen. Now if I can just figure out where I can get some Nan bread. :thinking:

Thanks Geoff! :smile:

The Naan bread isnt that essential. If not available just do a bit of extra rice and try and find some ready to bake in the oven indian snacks like samosa's or even something a bit chinese like spring rolls will go nicely as a starter in the same vein, even though from the wrong country.

I've usually been able to find a few indian ingredients in North America - the Patak's pastes or something very similar are usually there in the larger grocery stores.

Good luck and report back! If they don't like this, they will not be satisfied with any sort of curry. It is essential that you serve the mango chutney as a condiment, and encourage people to stir a tablespoon full into their meal as they eat it.