• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What's a cola chocolate cake? Sounds interesting.

ScorpioINTP

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6-5
What's a cola chocolate cake? Sounds interesting.

Ever heard of a Turbo cooker? That is what I used. Its a recipe that came with it (usually use diet Cherry cola, but didn't have any). You basically use cake mix, eggs and substitute the soda for the oil/water. Cooks with steam, so the cake comes out really moist too and lasts a long time without drying out. I wouldn't say it's better than regular cake, just slightly less guilty to eat.

I make lots of things with the turbo cooker, because you cook with water instead of oil/butter/crisco. Makes great fajitas, cheesesteaks, Mongolian beef, BBQ chicken among others and doubles as a tortilla steamer. It's one of the only things I ever bought from an infomercial and I had to get a 2nd one after years of use/abuse.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
sesame crusted, pan seared swordfish steaks with a side of rice stick noodles and snowpeas in a pad thai sauce... PERFECT football food! :laugh:

*now wonders what diet cola cake IS*
:thinking:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I made roast beef for the second time ever (last time was like....5 years ago). I used a meat thermometer for the first time and I'm doing it every time from now on. I took it out at 138F, let it sit for a bit, and it was absolutely perfect. Totally making that again....soon. :drool:

Broccoli and (lots of) mashed sweet potatoes on the side. :happy2:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
whoa, that sounds awesome.....only 2tsp of tequila though!

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
I made a large batch of rosemary sourdough artisan bread, I will attempt to scale down the recipe for only making one loaf.

2 cups Unbleached all purpose flour.
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp active dry yeast (I buy yeast in bulk since I bake a lot of bread to give to friends/family and occasionally to sell)
1 cup rosemary tea*
1 Table spoon Olive oil, or other oil of your choice, I prefer extra virgin olive oil.
Cornmeal.

mix yeast and both flours together thoroughly in LARGE bowl (Anything but Aluminum), preferably one that is 3x or more the capacity of the ingredients you are using(Use only all purpose flour if you want a fluffier bread, or only bread flour if you want a denser more traditional sourdough.) pour oil and rosemary tea into bowl, mix with hands till everything is well mixed, dough should be really moist at this stage, if not, add a little warm water (or honey) mix thoroughly, place saran wrap or some other mostly air tight lid over top of bowl (you want something that has a little give though...) And place in Refrigerator for a minimum of 18 hours, 2-4 days is my preference, longer can get you a more sour flavor, but i find the longer you wait, the more you risk your yeast not having the "Oomph" left to give you another rise...

On large clean cutting board or other clean hard surface, sprinkle flour, cover your hands in a little oil, and scoop the bread dough out of the bowl and onto the flour, sprinkle some more flour on top, knead the dough , adding a little more flour a bit at a time till it reaches a good firm consistency, is still a little sticky, but not tooo sticky... form into a ball, then place on a greased plate (I just spray a plate with non stick cooking spray) let stand for 1 1/2 - 3 hours depending on how warm your house is, basically till the size of the dough is about double, pre-heat your oven to 375 (if your oven runs hot, id suggest 350) and place whatever you are going to bake your bread on in the oven while its preheating (I suggest using a baking stone/pizza stone... stoneware gets you the best crust!) after its done pre-heating, spray top of bread dough with non stick spray, or carefully brush with melted butter or oil of your choice, then sprinkle a liberal amount of corn meal on top, then carefully flip plate over, dropping bread (from as close as possible) onto your baking stone, close up oven, and bake for 25-30 minutes, check to see how done it is by the color of the crust, many artisan loaves are done around 25 minutes... (cool on wire rack for 1-2 hours...although I understand if you dont...when im craving bread, I often eat most of the first load, be4 it has any chance to cool, I always regret this later >.<)

*Rosemary tea is made by boiling the water, after it has come to a boil, remove from heat and place fresh rosemary inside water, (I use about half the rosemary as im using water) then after it cools down, cover, and place in fridge at least overnight (8-12 hours) I do 2 days sometimes, dont go beyond 3... If you want a REALLY strong rosemary flavor, peel the small individual leaves off the rosemary stems after the brewing process is done, and blend it in the blender thoroughly to the point in which there are no large pieces.
Add 1 tsp salt, and 1-2 Tablespoons sugar/honey to tea shortly be4 making bread with it.

F

figsfiggyfigs

I made Bruschetta for the first time this afternoon.

They were delicious, I gave some to my floor-mates and they loved them. one of them said I should be a chef :}

img0680c.jpg

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
Looks soooooooooooooo good YWIR, and im with you, it is a rare occasion when meat of any kind even sounds palatable to me... and during the year I spent doing raw vegan, I actually could not even handle the smell of meat after awhile, lost all taste for it... that Bruschetta looks amazing!...also, I so want your plates! lol...

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
whoa, that sounds awesome.....only 2tsp of tequila though!

Hee, yeah. I don't drink, so I didn't miss it, but the margarita-loving roomie gave them her seal of approval. They really are delicious...the cupcake part was moist, with kind of a crispy outside, and the lime buttercream frosting was just divine.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Making garlic chicken tacos tonight with refried beans, yellow rice, and pico de gallo. The beans are almost finished cooking and yes, I'm using lard.

My dream is to own a house with a really large garden that I can go out and pick vegetables and fruit out of almost everyday.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Making garlic chicken tacos tonight with refried beans, yellow rice, and pico de gallo. The beans are almost finished cooking and yes, I'm using lard.

My dream is to own a house with a really large garden that I can go out and pick vegetables and fruit out of almost everyday.

What time should we (the entire forum) arrive?

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What about the recipe for the orange and mint rice salad? That sounds so good!

Orange and Mint Rice Salad

Ingredients
3 oranges
3 cups cooked rice
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
salt and pepper to taste

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preparation
Peel and segment two oranges; set aside. Squeeze juice from remaining orange; set aside. In a large bowl, combine rice, orange segments, raisins, mint and walnuts. Add orange juice; toss well. Salt and pepper to taste.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ScorpioINTP

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6-5
I'm making lasagna... it smells tasty :drool:

mmm. Luck you. My mom made the best lasgne and homemade sauce (homegrown tomatoes). I've never attempted it myself. It's a bit of work and $ isn't it (relatively speaking)? My mouth is watering thinking about it. Don't forget garlic bread!

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Orange and Mint Rice Salad

Ingredients
3 oranges
3 cups cooked rice
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
salt and pepper to taste

Preparation
Peel and segment two oranges; set aside. Squeeze juice from remaining orange; set aside. In a large bowl, combine rice, orange segments, raisins, mint and walnuts. Add orange juice; toss well. Salt and pepper to taste.

Yum! So when you have this for lunch, do you eat anything else with it?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
mmm. Luck you. My mom made the best lasgne and homemade sauce (homegrown tomatoes). I've never attempted it myself. It's a bit of work and $ isn't it (relatively speaking)? My mouth is watering thinking about it. Don't forget garlic bread!
Minus making sauce from tomatoes, the rest of it isn't any harder than making a normal meal from scratch, and prep time is about the same too (maybe an hour if you're slow, and most of that is cooking the meat). Assembling the ingredients is easy.

It's about as expensive as any meat-based dish, really. Unless cheese/meat is really expensive where you live. Cheaper than steaks, definitely, and maybe cheaper than a chicken-breast based meal.

For me a large pan costs roughly:

~$1-1.50 for 1/2 pack of noodles
~4-5$ for about 2 lbs of meat
~2$ for a container of cottage cheese or ricotta
~2$ for the sauce (crushed tomatoes and/or tomato sauce)
~1-2$ for spinach (optional)
~1-2$ for a bit of cheese on top, maybe more if you go crazy with it. Buy the cheese on sale, of course. (cheddar and parmesan)

so maybe 10-15$ for a meal that will feed 2 people for 3-4 meals each. Less than a single restaurant meal for one person, and way more delicious. Not that expensive, I'd argue.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Beef shin and kidney stew with brown beer Jasmine rice. Technically I did the stew and my first experiment with the beer rice Tuesday. The stew I've done before, and perfected with the addition of veg and cumin. Absolutely delicious. The rice I messed up on the 1st time by using too much beer. I made some earlier with only 3/4 cup of beer, which was a perfect balance. I used a nut brown ale that helps bring out the nutty flavor already present in the BROWN jasmine rice. I've gotta say, it's some of the best rice I've ever tasted, with so little flavor/seasoning added. The brown jasmine rice is truly in a league of its own, imo, and the beer and coconut oil really make it shine. This dinner combination yields a truly delectable, cheap, nutritious meal. And remember, stew always tastes better the 2nd day, 3rd, and so on ;).

Beef shin and kidney stew:

1 lb beef kidney
2 lb beef shin/shank
2 tbs oil
1+ cups sliced mushrooms
1 cup sliced carrots
1 glass beef stock
1 glass red wine
4~5 shallots
1 tsp thyme
2 tbs flour
about 2~3 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Beer brown jasmine rice:

1 cup brown jasmine rice
3/4 cup beer
1 3/4 cup water
1 tbs of coconut oil
garlic salt to taste

I can make instructions if anyone wants. Just say so.