User Tag List

Page 3 of 227 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

MBTI
    INXP

Default Geoff's Paella Sunrise

Made this last night. Fun recipe, and takes me back to the Spanish Med that so far this year I have missed going to. I regret this, and the paella I made last night helped

This recipe is a modified version of one I found in a daily newspaper.

Geoff's Paella Sunrise.

Ingredients (4 medium portions)

One large red onion, finely chopped
    Chorizo or other spicy spanish (possibly Italian) sausage, about 200g (1/2 lb)
    Mixed seafood, about 1/2 lb (I used a ready to eat selection of mussels, squid and king prawns (shrimp).
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 large pinches of saffron, softened in 1 tbsp of boiling water.
    350g of paella/arborio rice (about 12oz?)
    1 tin 400g (12 oz or so) chopped tomatoes
    3 large roasted red peppers (I used pimentos in a jar, ready roasted in brine). I also used 2 peppadew mini peppers as I like the spiciness they add.
    4 cloves of garlic, crushed.
    1 litre (2 pints) chicken stock, good quality, boiling.
    3 tbsp of chopped cilantro/coriander (or flat leaf parsley for the coriander haters).
    1 large lemon

Instructions :

In a large wide bottomed pan (paella pan if you have one), cook the onion in the olive oil over a medium heat until soft, not coloured.
    Add the chorizo and garlic, cook for a further 5 minutes until the oil is released from the meat.
    Add the peppers and cook for a further two minutes.
    Add the saffron, tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes
    Add the rice and stir until well coated in the mixture.
    Add the boiling stock, the juice of one half of the lemon and all the seafood (note, if the seafood includes raw squid, add earlier so that it cooks through. If it is just prawn, add later as they cook quickly).
    Season well with salt and pepper, and add the coriander.
    Bring to the boil, then turn down heat and simmer for 20 minutes until rice has absorbed nearly all the liquid.
    Switch off heat, and leave for 5 minutes to absorb remaining liquid and has cooled slightly.

Serve in large bowls with wedges of the other half of the lemon, a couple of fresh coriander leaves and enjoy! Spanish red wine, a rioja or similar would go well with this, as would a bold white wine.

Real taste of Spain, there.

-Geoff

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Nitric acid
    Sulfuric Acid
    Glycerin

Mix in a cylinder with cooling....whoops, you meant food recipe.

(I don't have any really complex recipes that I know, most of them are along the mines of "mix some ingredients, heat, and stir.")

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ISFx

Layered chicken breast slices and shredded cheese wrapped in bacon slices:

sliced up when chilled: YUM!

Chocolate mousse made with white and dark chocolate:

Doesn't Read Your Posts Array Haight's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTj

All I want to know, Shimpei, is who ate all that food with you?

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ISFx

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    All I want to know, Shimpei, is who ate all that food with you?
    Shut up, you have a wife to have dinner with!

These are my Blueberry and oatmeal muffins.
    What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :) Attached Images
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
    Bertrand Russell

http://rayofsolar.blogspot.com/
    http://zeropointseven.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Moved from Arts & Entertainment.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INXP

Geoff's Spanish Fish bake and potatoes (also known as healthy fish and chips Espana).

If, like I did tonight, you find ourself just for once alone in the evening and wanting to treat yourself, do try the following. My own recipe, and rather delicious though I say it myself! Multiply up if you are going to serve others.

For 1 serving...

1 x 300g of good quality sustainable white fish fillet. I used haddock.
    Either 1 1/2 tsp of mixed herbs for grilled fish, or make your own mixture up with :
    (-juice of half a lemon and a few scrapings of zest
    -1/2 tsp turmeric
    -1/2 tsp fennel
    -1 garlic clove finally chopped or dried onion granules if you aren't garlic friendly.)
    6 extra thin slices of spanish chorizo (this is the spicy, smoky, spanish sausage, should be wafer thin. You could also use prosciutto but if you do sprinkle some smoked paprika on top).

Heat oven to 200c. Place fish onto a baking tray, and sprinkle herbs on fish and squeeze juice of lemon if using. Tear four slices of the chorizo into strips and layer over the top of the fish until covered like a blanket.

Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until succulent and tasty.

Meanwhile, take 1 small tin of new potatoes in water, drain them and chop into small cubes. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil into a pan until smoking hot and throw in potatoes, together with remaining two slices of chorizo torn into pieces. Add 1 tbsp of mixed herbs (paprika would be good too). Sauté potatoes for 10 minutes or so while fish bakes.

Serve potatoes with baked chorizo spicy fish. Delicious and mediterranean. Feel virtuous (probably < 500 calories and very little fat).

-Geoff

Senior Member Array raincrow007's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Default Awesome Ahi

Since the weather's decided to stop pissing rain every 6 seconds here, I had the chance to chill out and grill some stuff this past weekend. I'm not of the School of Extreme Weights and Measures, instead preferring to cook somewhat haphazardly, so don't expect a whole bunch of precision in this recipe.

1. Get your hands on some sashimi grade Ahi -- mine was in steaks that were about 3/4" thick.

2. Slash/score the fish lightly on both sides with a sharp knife.

3. Put ahi into a ziplock bag [or whatever you prefer to marinate things in].

4. Add a healthy dash of single malt scotch, soy sauce, finely chopped fresh ginger, smashed fresh garlic, and a dash of Sriracha hot chili sauce [or your preferred zippy/hot spice].

5. In a bowl, toss in enough olive oil for basting stuff on the grill, freshly smashed garlic cloves, cracked black pepper, and a dash of salt.

6. Chop up veggies of choice for grilling. I had leeks, sweet potatoes, fresh ears of corn, poblano peppers, shallots, Anaheim peppers, big fat portobello 'shrooms, #1015 onions [sweet], and Hungarian Wax peppers.

7. Grill and baste veggies until done to your satisfaction. [For example, the sweet potatoes take longer than most of the other veggies, so you might want to start them first...]. Toss into an oven safe pan/plate, and set the oven to keep them warm.

8. Grill the marinated Ahi over high heat. Sear those fishy bastards pretty good [prolly no more than 3 minutes per side], and baste frequently with whatever is left of the marinade, plus a little olive oil to stretch it [if need be]. I like my Ahi to be quite a bit towards the rare side [hence the use of sashimi grade fish], but you can cook it longer if you want, obviously. Just don't turn the beautiful fish into shoe leather, eh?

9. Serve grilled Ahi with veggies. I often make a pot of jasmine rice cooked in chicken stock with a dash of garam masala and a huge batch of salad [usually herb salad or spring mix] to go along with everything else.

Red and white wines go equally well with this meal. Hell, even frosty beers and vodka tonics are nice with it.

Senior Member Array

Spicy Baked Shrimp

1/2 cup olive oil
    2 tablespoons Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Magic
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    Pinch of cayenne pepper
    1 pound uncooked extra large shrimp, shelled, deveined

Lemon wedges
    French bread

Combine first 7 ingredients in 9x13-inch baking dish. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Refrigerate 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 450 Bake until shrimp are cooked through, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.

Garnish with lemon wedges and serve shrimp with French bread. It's great over rice, too.