• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lot of Halloween baking with people this week...

Apple crisp, & pumpkin sugar cookies made into zombie cats... and their victims.

1667359151530.jpeg

1667359177223.jpeg

...also did a spooky dinner for everyone, with random stuff I had in the house last night. Friend’s kid liked it.

‘Monster’ burger with pepper jack teeth, severed fingers (jalapeño chicken sausage w/pepper jack fingernails), ghost-pepper chips, & homemade pumpkin pie ice cream shakes (made w/leftover pumpkin purée), topped with whipped cream, chili dark chocolate flakes, & a candy corn.

1667359462877.jpeg

These were all just fun activities that tasted mediocre. I had to sub some margarine for butter in the apple crisp, & it didn’t crisp up as nicely. The cookie recipe was a new one I was trying from Allrecipes. The pumpkin flavor didn’t really come through the final result, most of the spices, either. It was just cloves I picked up the most. I gave away most of the cookies to people who liked them. I'm not even big on icing/frosting - I just find decorating fun, & people in my life enjoy it.

The pumpkin pie shake came out great, though. Just some vanilla bean ice cream, pumpkin puree, a tsp pumpkin pie spice, a dash of brown sugar, some vanilla unsweetened almond milk, & the aforementioned toppings. I eyeballed all this stuff in terms of measuring, & blended it up in the Vitamix, adjusting til it reached the proper flavor & ultra-thickness.

The dinner was just a whim, mostly for the kid present, but I just made the same for all of us, since I had a bunch of turkey burgers in the freezer to use up. The chicken sausages were mine- I didn't want a burger. I just put it all on 1 plate because it looked funny. And we all got chips & shakes.

Attachments

• 1667359411797.jpeg
    1667359411797.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 53

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
On todays episode of Cooking with the Cat, I'll be cooking up an utter catastrophe, the secret ingredient is my life. The steaks will be high and your expectations should be low. Our special guest The Void will be joining us and will be sharing their best recipes for screaming. We've got a fine show ahead on existential quisine, it may be your life, but your life is food for something bigger than you. No matter how you live it.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I cooked a metric f-load over the past few days...

After a bunch of delays, I finally have hip preservation surgery almost exactly 1 month from now. I want to rely on others as little as possible during recovery. I’ve looked at other patients’ blogs/lurked in P.A.O. support groups to get an idea of how people were doing their meals in that first month, among other ‘what to expect’ things. Many patients did tons of takeout, or had family bring food over/stay with them (shudder).

Instead, I plan to premake/freeze a month’s worth of dinners between 12/5-12/8, just before the procedure. I even measured out my space in my shared freezer to ensure it’d fit what I need.

I decided to do a ‘test run’ of sorts with the remainder of this month— just to work out any last min kinks or fitting issues, etc.

First, I cooked a huge turkey (cheaper than chicken right now) from frozen. It took longer, but it actually came out more tender. I tore all the flesh from the bones & stuck it in the fridge to weigh out/portion later.

I made a bunch of dinners for the next few weeks that can go directly from the freezer to the countertop toaster oven at 350 & be heated in 30 min.

1668563928620.jpeg

(The turkey burgers belong to my roommate; I’m not a fan of this brand.. I prefer to make my own with seasonings etc & freeze them. Not doing burgers post-op.)

I used these containers for my dinners:

I can probably even eat directly from the containers to reduce dirty dishes, post-op.

Originally, I’d wanted glass Pyrex containers of this shape/size, but I can’t afford that many containers for a whole month’s worth of food. Not to mention, I don’t have the cabinet space for permanent storage. Also, if I were to drop a glass thing post-op, I won’t be able to pick up the broken glass right away. I don’t need my cat walking on it/playing with it, or eating it (& shredding his lovably idiotic insides) because it has food scraps stuck to it. So, I went with disposables. I figure if i rinse them, they’re recyclable, at least...

To the right of the containers are some breakfast sandwiches I also pre-made.

The dinners are a variety of things I threw together:

They’re all comprised of about 20% protein source, 20% grains, & 60% veggies.

Cream of Mushroom Turkey - that’s 3oz turkey, brown rice, quinoa, & kale all mixed together, topped with condensed cream of mushroom soup (I picked up the brand @ceecee recommended this month) & canned ‘no salt added’ mushrooms.

Spicy Curry Turkey - 3 Oz turkey, brown rice, Peking stir fry mixed frozen veggies, & spicy red curry sauce, all mixed together.

Shrimp ‘Teriyaki’ - put in quotes because it’s super half-assed. It’s fully cooked frozen shrimp with cayenne pepper, teriyaki seasoning/sauce, frozen broccoli, & brown rice w/lower sodium soy sauce

Southwest Turkey - 3oz turkey seasoned w/a southwest spice blend, brown rice, similarly seasoned & mixed with diced tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeños, red onion, & kale. Can be topped with plain greek yogurt after reheating.

‘Thxgiving Leftovers’ Turkey - 3oz turkey + a bit of gravy I made from drippings, diced frozen sweet potatoes (found in grocery freezer section, never had these before), & green beans brushed with a little olive oil & sea salt.

Italian Chicken Sausage/Rotini - Al Fresco Italian chicken sausage links, sliced, whole wheat rotini tossed with olive oil, basil, oregano, sea salt, pepper, spinach, & chopped up cherry tomatoes that were on their way out. The spinach coiled up into the rotini spirals nicely.

The breakfast sandwiches were just this recipe, but I used Market Basket whole wheat deli thins flatbread instead of English muffins. I just googled “freezable breakfast sandwich recipe,” or something like that.

I have some healthy cereal & shelf stable almond milk as another breakfast alternative. And canned soup & some sardines. I’d like to grab some of these dumplings from the Asian market if I have time. They’re horrible for you, but so damn delicious. Maybe a treat for NYE.

Lunches will be homemade smoothies: Greek yogurt, frozen fruit, spinach, & green tea/almond milk. The Vitamix is on the counter directly between the sink & fridge, so, that’ll be easy for prep/cleanup.

I think cooking this stuff next month is going to go a lot faster now, since I did a practice run.

There are probably other healthier meal options or recipes to there, but I just kind of went with what I have around regularly, & what took the least time to prep, as presently I can only be on my feet doing prep/cooking/measuring/storing/cleaning for so long til I get too sore. A lot of this I was able to cook in bulk and then dole out into containers.

I did premade commercial frozen T.V. dinners from the grocery store when I had a less invasive hip surgery in 2019. They take up more freezer space, cost A LOT more, and taste disgusting after a couple of days in a row. What I’m doing now seems like a better option, even if the prep takes some time.

If anyone has any similar recipe ideas* I might be able to add in easily on my next shopping trip next month, I’m all ears!
*PLEASE, NO HAM. It is my most hated food. It should not exist. Mod action will may be taken if you dare to suggest ham.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
TARDIS & TAROT CAKES

I baked a Doctor Who T.A.R.D.I.S cake for my friend's kid's 13th birthday. It didn't come out as sharp and polished as I'd have liked, but the small human it was for loved it, so, that's all that counts.

1668906787220.png

1668906808978.png

1668906823781.png

That's kid-hand. She was about to start tearing pieces off.

Cricket stole her seat when she went to wash her hands.

1668906839148.png

And the cake fell after I sliced it. :doh:

Black velvet cake with vanilla baking chip stars inside, homemade pink nebula buttercream, Rice Krispy Treats for stability at the bottom/in middle, blue modeling chocolate outside, black fondant police sign with white modeling chocolate letters (on the front, sides, I tried icing.. I regret the icing letters and windows. I wish I had edible paper). The door handles were little slivers of black fonant painted with Wilton silver color mist. The light is an LED balloon light I grabbed at a party supply store, & I built a lantern around that the same way I did the door handles. Little sprinkle on top.

I attached all the small details with Wilton edible glue, and also sometimes just using a lighter on some of the modeling chocolate.

TAROT
A couple of days ago, I made my best friend a gluten-free confetti cake (King Arthur mix) in the shape of a fortune teller's table. Her b-day isn't til next month, but I won't be able to make her a cake then. And she's coming to stay w/me to babysit my dopey ass the first few days after surgery, so this cake was both a preemptive birthday & preemptive thank-you cake.

1668907758680.png

1668907796047.png

Purple buttercream inside. Blue modeling chocolate tablecloth, white uncooperative fondant ribbon painted silver. Tarot cards were white modeling chocolate, edible marker, sprinkles. Crystal ball was just a Lindt white chocolate truffle painted with silver food color mist, anchored to a Rolo caramel candy. If I had more time, I'd have done a more ornate crystal ball setup, but this worked out okay.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I made everything yesterday with the exception of a Italian cream cake that I purchased. I don't feel like cooking today but I have a couple big loaves of Italian bread left and I might make bread pudding with boozy sauce.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
A Poppin Cooking. They were edible haha, somehow slightly annoying to make despite the simplicity, but now I just want to find more. I'm scared to try the savory ones, but also that's what I want to buy next:

DonutPopp.jpg

Donut2.jpg

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Last week:

I ended up having a lot of extra chocolate cake from the TARDIS, that I put in the freezer. There’d been a few practice attempts to create stars in the TARDIS cake with white sprinkles or baking chips, etc. The extra cake parts were the failed attempts (sprinkles dissolved during baking/disappeared).

So, the spare cake, & remaining modeling chocolate, etc, went to creating a rudimentary K9 from Doctor Who. I needed the freezer space opened back up, plus, another friend’s bday is at the end of Dec, so, despite its imperfections, they loved this.

1670433219624.jpeg

(don’t mind the crumbs everywhere— I make huge messes when I do cakes.. I cleaned later, I swear)

The body is black velvet cake with homemade dark chocolate buttercream frosting, covered in white modeling chocolate, colored gray, then misted w/Wilton metallic silver edible color mist (still drying in this photo).

The control panel is also cake.

His tail is just a chopstick coated in modeling chocolate & gum paste.

K9’s head was hand-shaped with Rice Krispy Treats, thinly coated w/chocolate buttercream frosting, then covered in modeling chocolate.

K9’s ear antennae are made of modeling chocolate & gum paste, attached with toothpicks. His ‘eye’ area is white modeling chocolate colored red & attached to the face with Wilton edible glue.

The head was placed on a chopstick to attach to the cake body. Unfortunately, the head was quite heavy, & fell after the photos were taken/could not stay on. It was still happily eaten. If I’d had enough Rice Krispy Treats to use as a base layer on the body cake, the head chopstick would’ve had that to anchor itself to/stay up.

1670433309198.jpeg

Closeup, it’s quite noticeable that K9’s exterior is nowhere near as smooth as the TARDIS, despite both being decorated with modeling chocolate. Reasons for this:

1.) the kitchen was much warmer when decorating K9 & working the modeling chocolate. This made it much, much softer & a little less cooperative. I could have kept refrigerating it then reworking it/rinse-repeat, but as this was more of a pleasure activity with a limited amt of spare time, I didn’t bother.

2.) modeling chocolate takes fingerprints & other things very easily, so you have to wear vinyl or nitrile gloves to avoid that. Unfortunately, the only gloves I had left were too large, so every wrinkle in my baggy gloves kept imprinting on the chocolate as I worked & molded everything. I lacked the additional tools or time to smooth that out.

3.) this is only my 2nd time working with modeling chocolate.

Though he wasn’t as pretty as the TARDIS, his disassembly was just as delicious.

1670433557195.jpeg

1670433781731.jpeg

For reference. Again, a lot of accents missing on mine, but I was just trying to use up my remaining ingredients from the other project.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Past few days... all my food prep for after my hip PAO surgery (coming up in a few days now).

I fricken DID IT.

I’ve been running around like a crazy person getting all kinds of crap ready. I’m off all my anti inflammatories as instructed, my hips are screaming, and I’ve been exhausted & im still not done other home stuff.

I actually ruined the turkey I first bought for my poultry in my frozen dinners. It was done baking really late. Pulled it out to cool a TIIINY bit, before dismembering it/weighing it out, etc. I set an alarm so as not to lose track of time. But, I fell asleep on the couch by mistake I was so fucking tired. Completely slept thru alarm. And it sat out. For 5 hours. Completely unsafe. I’ll be honest, i sat on the kitchen floor and cried for a few min about that stupid bird, I was so mad at myself. Just sore and tired and buried in shit to do. Cricket came and sat in my lap. I got over it.

I got a new one at Target, of all places, & got back to work. And I am DONE THE FOOD PREP NOW.

1670779362850.jpeg

My roommate’s food is in the bin on the lower right, plus the pkg upright beside it, plus the bag of dumplings on the top right, & a few things behind the sandwiches up top. And in the door shelving, not pictured. They eat a lot of fresh stuff & takeout, so it all worked out.

My stuff: dinners, breakfasts, and, I premade a batch of sugar cookie dough (Xmas for my grandmother), gingerbread cookie dough (for me/roommate & her kid for Xmas), & gluten-free gingerbread cookie dough for INTP best friend, who will be staying over on weekdays to help me out the 1st week or two home.

...back to the cleaning etc for me.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Well, I TRIED to make some Turkish coffee today-I thought it'd be semi easy to make as you're supposed to simmer the coffee for some time and let it make some foam and you scoop it into your cup and then the actual liquid goes in. Half an hour went buy and still no foam. Oh well, I've always wanted to try Turkish coffee, it looks so rich.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wish I’d taken photos, but it was all eaten too fast...

Snowstorm Tuesday. I made a loaf of cinnamon swirl white whole wheat bread from scratch, with this recipe:

I used the King Arthur Whole Grain Bread Improver @ceecee recommended awhile back again. Man is it a game changer.

After fully cooling, I cut the bread into THICK slices, & made quite possibly the most rich, delicious, all-around amazing French toast I’ve ever eaten. Thick homemade bread makes such a difference. It was practically a religious experience, ha.

This simple recipe from my super ancient handmedown cookbook:

Friday, I made a classic boiled dinner for St. Paddy’s. Followed this recipe, except it was all done in my crock pot on low, all day.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Wish I’d taken photos, but it was all eaten too fast...

Snowstorm Tuesday. I made a loaf of cinnamon swirl white whole wheat bread from scratch, with this recipe:

I used the King Arthur Whole Grain Bread Improver @ceecee recommended awhile back again. Man is it a game changer.

After fully cooling, I cut the bread into THICK slices, & made quite possibly the most rich, delicious, all-around amazing French toast I’ve ever eaten. Thick homemade bread makes such a difference. It was practically a religious experience, ha.

This simple recipe from my super ancient handmedown cookbook:

Friday, I made a classic boiled dinner for St. Paddy’s. Followed this recipe, except it was all done in my crock pot on low, all day.

I used my St. Paddy's Day leftovers for egg rolls yesterday. I don't use a recipe, just combine the beef, potato, cabbage and carrots, plop on a egg roll wrapper, wet the edges and roll. Fry until brown and you could probably air fry if you wanted. Serve with this sauce which is also amazing on a Ruben.

RUSSIAN DRESSING
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream (may sub more mayo)
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon grated onion (I use my zester)
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon Frank's Original RedHot Sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp EACH ground mustard, sweet paprika (may sub smoked or regular paprika)
1/4 tsp EACH garlic powder, salt, pepper

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used my St. Paddy's Day leftovers for egg rolls yesterday. I don't use a recipe, just combine the beef, potato, cabbage and carrots, plop on a egg roll wrapper, wet the edges and roll. Fry until brown and you could probably air fry if you wanted. Serve with this sauce which is also amazing on a Ruben.

RUSSIAN DRESSING
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream (may sub more mayo)
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon grated onion (I use my zester)
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon Frank's Original RedHot Sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp EACH ground mustard, sweet paprika (may sub smoked or regular paprika)
1/4 tsp EACH garlic powder, salt, pepper
I’m putting a sticky note in my cookbook to try this out next year with leftovers. That sounds delicious.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I broiled the most delicious salmon last night. Simple rub made with onion powder, salt, pepper, paprika, & pepper flakes, with a pinch of dark brown sugar to caramelize it. Broiled about 6 min to 145F at the thickest part. Brushed w/a bit of avocado oil.

Served with homemade cole-slaw, & some brown rice.

It’s not “pretty,” but it’s the most tender, flavorful salmon I’ve ever made.

(Turn up your screen brightness 100% to fully appreciate part of this picture)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My mother was up visiting from FL, so I made her an early birthday cake since I won’t see her on her actual birthday. It’s a fun hobby, & I figured I could use the practice.

Theme was inspired by this chipmunk w/a nubby tail that my mom hand-feeds whenever she stays up at my grandmother’s house.

1680557573960.jpeg

Tree trunk is a marble cake coated in homemade vanilla buttercream & modeling chocolate. Bark detail was done w/some Wilton tools, & some Wilton brown & black gel icing color was painted on a few areas for depth, along w/some cocoa powder & cinnamon.

Top of stump is just a circle of white vanilla fondant mixed w/modeling chocolate, then carved a little & painted w/the gel icing colors & cocoa powder.

1680557658699.jpeg

The chipmunk is made from Rice Krispy Treats, then covered in buttercream, & covered in a combo of white vanilla fondant & modeling chocolate for his fur. Eyes are 2 painted choc chips.

The accents have some wrinkle defects closeup, as I was getting pressed for time in the end, & was less careful.
Overall, I’m still happy with it.

His acorn was made from a caramel, which unfortunately did not keep its shape for very long.

Flower & ladybug are just made from fondant, & attached w/Wilton edible glue.

1680557714236.jpeg

1680557761701.jpeg

The mushroom accent was a fondant failure: it drooped. I should have used gum paste instead, as it tends to hold its shape, & harden.

The bottom layer of the cake, & the tree roots, were made from Rice Krispy treat. The cake didn’t have the height i’d wanted on its own, & also, I needed at least a little rice krispy treat on the base to anchor the chipmunk to the cake. There was a wooden chopstick up the chipmunk’s rear, piercing the cake diagonally to attach to the base for max stability.

In hindsight, I wish I’d had the skill to make the marbling of the cake into actual tree trunk rings, but I’m not there yet.

Also, I def should have made the buttercream a slightly bitter dark chocolate; the vanilla was way too sweet, imo, but my mom isn’t a fan of dark chocolate (only vanilla or milk chocolate), & it was her cake, so...

Attachments

• 1680557809741.jpeg
    1680557809741.jpeg
    907.9 KB · Views: 56

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had some leftover ingredients to use up, so I made some Easter cupcakes for my roommate & her kid, as they went down to the grandmother's for the weekend. Kid likes fondant, so the extremely derpy cupcake bunny was covered with my leftover vanilla fondant.

1680981426239.png

1680981488382.png

The cupcakes are carrot cake. The bird nests were leftover modeling chocolate. They didn't come out the way I wanted, but that's ok. Eggs are Cadbury mini eggs, attached to nests w/Wilton Edible Glue, so they wouldnt fall out on the drive. The eggs were the only thing I had to buy for this "project." Just a fun-sized pack from CVS.

I followed a basic carrot cake recipe from Pillsbury Family Cookbook, the old yellowed thing I've posted photos of here in the past.

Frosting is just leftover vanilla buttercream w/1 tiny drop of Wilton Kelly green gel icing color added.

I tried to pipe grass w/the frosting, but my piping skills are utterly nonexistent, I don't have the patience for it, haha. So i just scattered some green sanding sugar (I keep around for Xmas) to distract from my shitty grass...

1680981519008.png

Derpy bunny is just 1 carrot cupcake for the body, w/half a cupcake for the head, attached w/a drinking straw. He's crumbcoated in leftover white vanilla buttercream, followed by leftover white vanilla fondant. Eyes are just candy eyes, ears are fondant attached w/a toothpick & a bit of edible glue, w/a bit of pink gel food color painted on. Mouth was done w/fondant teeth & a fine tip Wilton food color pen.

They loved it, and now I have the place to myself for the weekend... to clean up the kitchen I destoryed. I'm worse than the Muppet Swedish Chef with making messes.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I had some leftover ingredients to use up, so I made some Easter cupcakes for my roommate & her kid, as they went down to the grandmother's for the weekend. Kid likes fondant, so the extremely derpy cupcake bunny was covered with my leftover vanilla fondant.

View attachment 28675

View attachment 28676

The cupcakes are carrot cake. The bird nests were leftover modeling chocolate. They didn't come out the way I wanted, but that's ok. Eggs are Cadbury mini eggs, attached to nests w/Wilton Edible Glue, so they wouldnt fall out on the drive. The eggs were the only thing I had to buy for this "project." Just a fun-sized pack from CVS.

I followed a basic carrot cake recipe from Pillsbury Family Cookbook, the old yellowed thing I've posted photos of here in the past.

Frosting is just leftover vanilla buttercream w/1 tiny drop of Wilton Kelly green gel icing color added.

I tried to pipe grass w/the frosting, but my piping skills are utterly nonexistent, I don't have the patience for it, haha. So i just scattered some green sanding sugar (I keep around for Xmas) to distract from my shitty grass...

View attachment 28677
Derpy bunny is just 1 carrot cupcake for the body, w/half a cupcake for the head, attached w/a drinking straw. He's crumbcoated in leftover white vanilla buttercream, followed by leftover white vanilla fondant. Eyes are just candy eyes, ears are fondant attached w/a toothpick & a bit of edible glue, w/a bit of pink gel food color painted on. Mouth was done w/fondant teeth & a fine tip Wilton food color pen.

They loved it, and now I have the place to myself for the weekend... to clean up the kitchen I destoryed. I'm worse than the Muppet Swedish Chef with making messes.
It's so cute, but so incredibly derpy at the same time. I'm trying to think of a meme to make with the last picture... o.o