• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Baked salmon with salt, cayenne pepper, basil, & a little avocado oil
Baked chopped red potatoes with salt, pepper, paprika, chives, brushed with avocado oil (to make crispy)
Steamed sugar snap peas & broccoli

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
My husband made a Hello Fresh..

Brown Sugar Bourbon Pork Chops
with Apple Pan Sauce, Scallion Mashed Potatoes & Roasted Green Beans

Was very good.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
image1.jpg

Baked some homemade cheese bread today.

Will bake some pasta next.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
image0.jpg

Korean ground beef with veggies. Have some rice too but it wasn't really worth picturing...
Oh, and earlier I also baked some more cheese bread, and that's what's in the back.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hocus Pocus Buns. Basically, you cover marshmallows in melted butter and cinnamon sugar then cover them with croissant dough and the marshmallow is supposed to vanish once baked.

Not a very pretty picture, but here's how they looked coming out. I don't think I closed them properly.

13Yb0An.jpg

I opened up one of the better ones, and wallah, it hocused-pocused. Not bad, tastes like an inside-out cinnamon bun. Shall have some with my coffee tomorrow.

7vFRtZa.jpg

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Shit, forgot to take a pic, but I made some shrimp fettuccine alfredo last night. Wasn't great, as I am a very hasty and lazy cook, but good by the Burner Curve.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Decorated some cookies yesterday. Had a lot of fun, I liked the technique I came up, coloring the eyes with food dye to make them all wonky. I also dipped the ghost without frosting in food dye to make like a mosaic pattern. Proud of my Monsters' Inc cookie. That demon cookie is actually pretty terrifying. The weird brown one is supposed to be an amber-ish gemstone.

8PNM9Wm.jpg

0rmwPge.jpg

1cya5BZ.jpg

snMRW0z.jpg

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I made eggs, sausage, and cinnamon rolls, but I'm so grossed out by the radioactive yellow colored yolk that I feel like gagging. I only eat this garbage when I'm struggling with money. You can literally just look at the eggs and see the poor conditions the chickens are kept in just to stuff the pockets of billionaires even more.

Just going to chill over here and fantasize about my almond crusted salmon with asparagus and red potatoes while I try to stomach this. I miss you, seafood...

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Nope. Literally cannot stomach them this time. Would rather go hungry.

Someday maybe I'll have my own chickens in my back yard and eat their eggs only...or maybe I'll just live somewhere with fresh seafood for sale at affordable prices. I prefer veggies, fruits, and seafood anyway. Ever since before I was born I was this way. The same stuff that my mom craved vs couldn't eat while she was pregnant are the same foods of my natural palette today, except I wouldn't touch meat or meat flavored baby food until I was a few years old, and then I just wanted fish.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Roasted pork tenderloin (w/chopped onion, a little garlic, sea salt, thyme, paprika, ginger, vinegar, a drop of molasses, a pinch of cayenne, & black pepper), & a blend of brown rice/quinoa with a fresh spring mix salad on the side.

I don’t eat pork often (mostly poultry & seafood), but it was on a really good sale.

A raw, 1lb boneless pork loin looks creepily like a fillet of my forearm. :blink:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Since Roommate’s kid has gotten heavily into Final Fantasy, I was tasked with making her a themed cake this year. She turns 11 Monday, but we did stuff today so she can enjoy gifts over the weekend.

I did my best to create a Moogle cake.

...the hell is a Moogle, you ask?

Apparently, this thing:

kWEJlEZ.jpg

I just made his head. It's not perfect in terms of proportions, but you get the idea:

uEX2Nb6.jpg

pFzIRY6.jpg

7duf3uc.jpg

...Those glass brain slice medical slide coasters on the top right are mine, of course.

The Moogle is a yellow & chocolate marble cake with a crumb coat of white buttercream frosting beneath white vanilla fondant. The pink pinnae of his ears (& his cheek blush) are made from rolled strawberry Starburst candy. The nose is cherry Starburst. The eyes & whiskers (some images on Google had him w/whiskers, some w/out) were drawn with a Wilton black food coloring marker. The thing coming out of his head is a cherry Blow Pop.

The lower cake is the same marble cake & frosting with no fondant, topped w/confetti sprinkles, confetti candles, & green icing for the crappy lettering.

It probably could've been better in terms of shaping had I more time & energy, but I did my best with what supplies & steam I had. :shrug:

That's probably my inner perfectionist talking. Kid really liked it.

I told her Cricket chose the character.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I didn't make this today but last weekend I made a basket of food to be auctioned off online for a county advisory board I'm on. I made...

Pork Rillettes
Homemade Cornichions (little fancy pickles)
Homemade County Mustard
Homemade Cherry Preserves (they go so good with the pork)
Bag of crostini for serving

It made $280. I think I may know who bought it but it's great that it's more money is going back into the community action agency.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Didn't make the actual cookies, but I decorated some Christmas cookies the other day with my aunt:

MMIfQ76.jpg

Turned this stocking shaped cookie into a saint:

AXIKZXD.jpg

A snowball with something to hide:

pfrN5Br.jpg

This one I'm proudest of, peeping bush is a mood:

w24ZMu9.jpg

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Overslept this morning because I was exhausted, haha :laugh: but I helped my mom and sister bake a lot of cookies, some cranberry bread and (failed) biscotti. It was nice :heart: I love baking things with my family!

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Been trying to perfect a ‘healthier’ gingerbread cookie, but really, there’s only so much whole grain you can sub in & fats you can switch around or sugars you can cut or sub before they just taste like disappointment.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Been trying to perfect a ‘healthier’ gingerbread cookie, but really, there’s only so much whole grain you can sub in & fats you can switch around or sugars you can cut or sub before they just taste like disappointment.

I worked out a partially whole grain recipe that actually tastes good/has the right texture. Taken from a gingerbread cookie recipe from an old Pillsbury Family Cookbook I have, with more ginger & spices added.

- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening (all I had on-hand; had to give up trying to sub in healthier fats, for now), softened
- 3/4 cup molasses (not blackstrap— I used “Grandma’s Unsulphured Molasses”)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup Splenda (or just use all sugar; I try to cut where I can without sacrificing flavor/texture)
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 cups white whole wheat pastry flour (I would’ve preferred to use ONLY this, but the cookies kept coming out too dry/bland)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or 2 tbsp powdered buttermilk + 1/2 cup water)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Directions
In a large bowl, combine the first 4 ingredients. Add remaining ingredients & blend well (ideally w/an electric mixer). Add the almond milk at the end *only* if the cookie dough seems super dry.

Rest the dough overnight in the fridge, packed down in an airtight container, to let the flour fully absorb the fats & spices. And make the dough easier to roll & shape later.

Preheat oven to 375F when ready to bake. Remove dough from fridge only when you’re ready to roll/shape/bake. Don’t let it sit out/get too warm.

Lightly dust your rolling surface & rolling pin with white flour.

Roll out the dough & cut into desired shapes. 1/4 inch thick for soft cookies (but still sturdy for decorating) cookies, or 1/8 inch for crisp cookies. Save the trimmings for last to roll at once if you want all the other cookies to be more tender.

Grease a baking sheet or use parchment paper over an ungreased one. I tried a silicone mat for one batch, but they stuck terribly for some reason.Bake 7-10 min. Cool on a rack. Decorate & use wax paper between cookies if you need to stack them.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bleu cheese lovers, gather round!

First.. I HATE Bleu cheese.

However, my roommate loves it. And she got this book of burger recipes from a cartoon we all watch...

Q55Moze.jpg

...& she implored me to make this Bleu chz monstrosity on pg 110 for her birthday the other day:

OgTbaoJ.jpg

Since she's a notoriously terrible cook, while I'm... adequate... I obliged. It smelled awful, but she & her kid loved it. I’m surprised a kid would enjoy such vile cheese. Must be genetic.

Followed the directions exactly, except we had whole wheat buns, & the beef was 96% lean, so I let the buffalo sauce sit in it longer before tossing them on the Foreman grill, so the vinegar would emulsify the lean meat a bit more.

I had a burger, but without the Bleu cheese sauce. Added pepper jack cheese, tomato, a dot of ketchup, & spicy guacamole to mine. Also added more cayenne to the buffalo sauce after making roommate & kid theirs (I prefer superduper spicy).

Not bad.

I also attempted some homemade baked shoestring fries. Convection setting on the oven seemed to crisp them up really well.

Dessert: dark chocolate peanut butter ice cream shakes, that were straw-flatteningly thick.