• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ahhhh, the spoon is supposed to be the tongue, I want one!

What kind of "storage foods?"
Dehydrated everything. I did something kinda stupid. I thought that the sauce would help juice up the dried spinach, peppers, onion, and cheese, but it wasn't enough. I need to reconstitute the cheese. I have really grossed myself out, but ate three pieces. Not sure if I can hope for the rest or not. Also, dried spinach has a flavor that is way too strong for pizza. It was actually stunningly gross. This is a weird problem I have. It's why I like to eat out, although cannot and do not nowadays.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Shield the children and the sensitive. I'm going in again. Another pizza attempt from deep storage freeze dried ingredients...
:unsure:
UPDATE: the second pizza was magnificently horrible as well, so I gave up and ate a fudge bar.

:bunnyd:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Shield the children and the sensitive. I'm going in again. Another pizza attempt from deep storage freeze dried ingredients...
:unsure:
UPDATE: the second pizza was magnificently horrible as well, so I gave up and ate a fudge bar.

:bunnyd:

Dehydrated cheese sounds awful. :ack!:

I think the bags of shredded mozzarella at the supermarket are freezable. That might be a better option...

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dehydrated cheese sounds awful. :ack!:

I think the bags of shredded mozzarella at the supermarket are freezable. That might be a better option...
I've gone through all my shredded cheese I had frozen. I just made the decision not to go anywhere until the numbers start going down. I live in a COVID-19 hotspot right now at 20.5% of tests coming back positive every day. I bought all this food in case it gets bad and right now it is. I do have some frozen sliced Colby/pepperjack/jalapeno cheese I can eat with beans and frozen flour tortillas.

The dehydrated cheese might work for noodles in a macaroni and cheese kinda way or maybe cheesy rice. Lord knows I have a ton of rice. It doesn't work for pizza, so I have to just let it go.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've gone through all my shredded cheese I had frozen. I just made the decision not to go anywhere until the numbers start going down. I live in a COVID-19 hotspot right now at 20.5% of tests coming back positive every day. I bought all this food in case it gets bad and right now it is. I do have some frozen sliced Colby/pepperjack/jalapeno cheese I can eat with beans and frozen flour tortillas.

The dehydrated cheese might work for noodles in a macaroni and cheese kinda way or maybe cheesy rice. Lord knows I have a ton of rice. It doesn't work for pizza, so I have to just let it go.

Someone send a drone with bags of real mozzarella to this poor woman, STAT. I can't bear anything else.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I baked a loaf of white whole wheat bread last night. I ran out of sliced wheat bread from the store for my breakfast sandwiches (usually wheat bread or wheat tortilla with hummus, kale, tomatoes, nonfat cheddar, uncured turkey bacon, & egg white). Trying to limit my store trips to once a month, & I’m not really that low on anything else yet, aside from bread.

No photos, because I’m mad at it.

Whenever I try to bake whole wheat bread, it never seems to rise quite enough in the oven. Regular (crappy white flour) bread comes out perfectly. I don’t get it.

The white whole wheat flour-based one comes out kinda hard, & too dense. Loaf is smaller. It’s all the same ingredients— water, yeast, a little butter, a tsp sugar & salt— just different flour.
Maybe I need to adjust ratios... :thinking:

It’s edible enough, I guess. I lightly toasted 2 slices today for my sandwich. I wish I could figure out why it doesn’t want to rise properly. I don’t want to add refined white flour to the recipe at all, & that’s the only ‘tip’ I’ve been able to find floating around online. Pass on that.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I baked a loaf of white whole wheat bread last night. I ran out of sliced wheat bread from the store for my breakfast sandwiches (usually wheat bread or wheat tortilla with hummus, kale, tomatoes, nonfat cheddar, uncured turkey bacon, & egg white). Trying to limit my store trips to once a month, & I’m not really that low on anything else yet, aside from bread.

Whenever I try to bake whole wheat bread, it never seems to rise quite enough in the oven. Regular (crappy white flour) bread comes out perfectly. I don’t get it.

The white whole wheat flour-based one comes out kinda hard, & too dense. Loaf is smaller. It’s all the same ingredients— water, yeast, a little butter, a tsp sugar & salt— just different flour.

It’s edible enough, I guess. I lightly toasted 2 slices today for my sandwich. I wish I could figure out why it doesn’t want to rise properly. I don’t want to add refined white flour to the recipe at all, & that’s the only ‘tip’ I’ve been able to find floating around online. Pass on that.

do you let the dough rise somewhere high up before you bake it?:mellow:

I just let it rise on the counter like I usually do... :shrug:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
do you let the dough rise somewhere high up before you bake it?:mellow:

I just let it rise on the counter like I usually do. :shrug:

Sometimes I put it in the oven to rise (oven is off when I do), because Cricket gets nosy about things on the counter. Same result either way.

Also, I went to quote you and apparently edited your post by accident. :doh:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I just let it rise on the counter like I usually do. :shrug:

Sometimes I put it in the oven to rise (oven is off when I do), because Cricket gets nosy about things on the counter. Same result either way.

Also, I went to quote you and apparently edited your post by accident. :doh:
one of my grandmothers used to say some breads rise better higher up, :shrug: she still presumably says it?:shrug:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
one of my grandmothers used to say some breads rise better higher up, :shrug: she still presumably says it?:shrug:

Hey, worth a shot. I’ll make space above the fridge next time & see. Thanks! :happy:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

No endosperm. White flour is almost all endosperm so it does what you want. If you don't want to add white flour - maybe bread improver? King Arthur Flour has it for whole grain breads.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I tried to do brats but I didn't turn them frequently enough so it wound up dry, rubbery, and over salty. Damn.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I tried to do brats but I didn't turn them frequently enough so it wound up dry, rubbery, and over salty. Damn.

They definitely benefit from the brat hot tub method. I was never a fan until I started making them that way.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
They definitely benefit from the brat hot tub method. I was never a fan until I started making them that way.

Do you mean boiling them in a pot or putting water in the pan?

In either case is there a way to tell if they are cooked through without sticking an instant-read thermometer in? I know for steak... you can kind of tell by the texture (though I do that more to make sure I didn't overcook).

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Do you mean boiling them in a pot or putting water in the pan?

In either case is there a way to tell if they are cooked through without sticking an instant-read thermometer in? I know for steak... you can kind of tell by the texture (though I do that more to make sure I didn't overcook).

Not really, I would say 20 minutes turning often.