• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
7b52c7ce65355787de843f1c942219fd.jpeg

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm about to throw a bunch of frozen diced butternut squash in the oven with salt, pepper, & olive oil.

Then I'm going to bake a whole turkey leg (impulse 'manager's special' purchase), covered in a cajun seasoning blend (I use this a lot, I know), & when it's almost done, I'm gonna brush it w/avocado oil & set the oven to broil for a few min to crisp it up.

Putting all this together on a plate w/a side salad of spring mix & garden cherry tomatoes in light balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Should be pretty good.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus

I decided to try it today but omitted the beans because my rice had mixed veggies in it and I figured extra textural mass might make the cakes fall apart. No regrets, they turned out great. So simple, yet so tasty. Also, no children today, so no whining or finishing the night off with impromptu peanut butter and banana tortilla roll-ups.

zL9VzSW.jpg

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8

I decided to try it today but omitted the beans because my rice had mixed veggies in it and I figured extra textural mass might make the cakes fall apart. No regrets, they turned out great. So simple, yet so tasty. Also, no children today, so no whining or finishing the night off with impromptu peanut butter and banana tortilla roll-ups.

zL9VzSW.jpg

OMG they look amazing!!!!!!!!! And that is exactly what I would put on top they look so delish ! Nomnomnomnom

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
OMG they look amazing!!!!!!!!! And that is exactly what I would put on top they look so delish ! Nomnomnomnom

They were delicious and I'm excited that I have two left. This may have been my most successful leftover experiment ever. Thanks for the suggestion!

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
8 pints of spaghetti sauce
6 pints green beans
6 pints wax beans

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes. I also needed to make room to plant kale, napa cabbage and broccoli before the end of August.

I would freaking love to grow food like that someday.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I would freaking love to grow food like that someday.

I've never had a garden on this level, I've grown raised beds and containers. But last fall we bought a small greenhouse and planned the garden to go right behind it. I've always canned and prepped but I want to see how much I can keep growing through the winter in hoop tunnels and the greenhouse. I can't put anything in the greenhouse right now - it's over 100° (37°C) in there with everything open.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've never had a garden on this level, I've grown raised beds and containers. But last fall we bought a small greenhouse and planned the garden to go right behind it. I've always canned and prepped but I want to see how much I can keep growing through the winter in hoop tunnels and the greenhouse. I can't put anything in the greenhouse right now - it's over 100° (37°C) in there with everything open.

Do you have a bunker to go with that greenhouse setup? Damn. This is seriously cool to me, though. If I ever get property, I'd love to have even just a small garden. You should post photos in the How Does Your Garden Grow? thread if you haven't already (if you want).

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Do you have a bunker to go with that greenhouse setup? Damn. This is seriously cool to me, though. If I ever get property, I'd love to have even just a small garden. You should post photos in the How Does Your Garden Grow? thread if you haven't already (if you want).

Haha no bunker. I'm not a survivalist, although we have a couple firearms, definitely not a prepper the way TV frames it. I would say a semi-homesteader if that makes sense.

We have a little under an acre of land but it's on either side of the house. Behind us is a farm - corn and soybeans, some canola. So our land was once part of this farm, which means the soil is good - it just needed compost and fertilizer and removal of the grass - not an easy task even though this house is only 5 years old (we've owned it a year).

Here is a pic from the early spring when we were laying out the plot. You can see the corner of the greenhouse and over the small levee is the farm with the huge sprinkler in the background.

eubQiW0IhTexFUZiuemWkYY9DAhB1nJ9yeeAVJU9x_KB_gg5ARZPdcWOAVoywBhJzmefATe8PryXsKFGGr6LThbbvmkfvwnjp6DhkvV8NZ1vNlrC7bQZEcao-6XTihSWTJEQd99CJk8olNvv4Xia7Mv7Gb9iYYiWg2NBAVrPUMaUfx_JGSkfdGmwIp_vK46N70tI8ESZro3Iz22DPylc8JhIq4J03jBpMwqLpzK-EtySmv3DhydRTgpKQB3FOk1MleNc7L6nE7UtIcmB6VKa1IT4laAWO1X8vm8AsD0f7Kcb-NXxEUtGSpVftv9nTx-43fPVJUn0DTGG-0YujiRC_SW99x9SoI9SOH6zvatV7xEfovCq8I6adHITRui45C6CP9kV47moNsP5V3gpI9a_wuRReD08qAJgZcs-Y3rzPfISS8KdNYcKvWzeRjYRIPk4jWj5Oq15_Qlyegjtpf5s5tFvllbbiZw6blHV9UsD1-jN-_5a_oWOiF6eX2TCtQkllBCginTyLMAs9497yfjiEN78fAuMozXq0dX7zDbZaTIoIuj0DAhuxmKAPzVngR23WOUW4VrdK1vwca2c5Sk57Ge78UOSf-VnpsgcntAXLQpXPG0WOwyClHqV_H8dVnfuNwHBT7W6e-sadadJiidzfCRPzc1UYSPhhvZgKDKaoabkg86QOz2DGqDyoPBi=w708-h943-no

While the garden served the purpose very well, I'm going to widen it in the fall. We're also putting a trellis somewhere in the area to grow Malabar spinach next summer.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Chicken enchiladas are in the oven now. Last time I made them, I added a thin layer of refried beans because I was low on chicken. It made everything so creamy and filling that I decided to do it again, and as a bonus, now my chicken supply is stretched out for the week. Also added onion, and red bell pepper for a touch of vegg (sometimes my efforts are low). Lots and lots of aged white cheddar... the good stuff.

It's one of my favorite meals.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I came up with a new dip that probably already exists that would be perfect to dip pretzels in: I call it peanutbutter dip it's a little under a cup of powdered sugar, 2-3 second pour of heavy whipping cream, 1.5 tsp of melted butter, and a big spoon full of creamy peanutbutter. whip that all together and it's amazing

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
New thing has been pitas .. anything you can think of stuff if in a pita! Then I Put the stuffed pita on a slowly heating skillet and let both sides get crispy nomnomnom.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I came up with a new dip that probably already exists that would be perfect to dip pretzels in: I call it peanutbutter dip it's a little under a cup of powdered sugar, 2-3 second pour of heavy whipping cream, 1.5 tsp of melted butter, and a big spoon full of creamy peanutbutter. whip that all together and it's amazing

I've really been into whipped dips and spreads for awhile. I think after I started buying whipped cream cheese and whipped Jif so I might try your concoction too.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
sourdough pizza dough. Using my sourdough starter.. It's not for tonight but Sunday actually. I let it slowly ferment in the fridge :wink: whatever I don't use I put back in the fridge and The flavors just continue to develop its amazing.
fe98e5615f4ed5ba8adfb583ccbff716.jpeg

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Oh bummer... I already started it. There's maybe 9 oz in there.
I did put some oil on the chicken though so the seasoning would stick. Hopefully that helps.

Next time, add the oil and the seasonings and use the Saute setting to brown. Then add a bit of chicken stock to the bottom. Or you can do regular rice and the chicken after it's browned, add stock instead of water and 90% of your meal is done.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Next time, add the oil and the seasonings and use the Saute setting to brown. Then add a bit of chicken stock to the bottom. Or you can do regular rice and the chicken after it's browned, add stock instead of water and 90% of your meal is done.

This works with frozen meat? The browning specifically. I picture it getting really anemic looking.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member

Do you ever use bone broth in your stock?