• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

rav3n

I’ve never had grit in my store-brand almond milk. Nor in the ciffee shops I go to. I like.
And no, I’m not about to buy $8 “ organic” “ hand crafted” “ free range” crap.
Then you're not sensitive to mouth feel since they all have grit to some extent. It's most obvious in desserts like almond jello.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Then you're not sensitive to mouth feel since they all have grit to some extent. It's most obvious in desserts like almond jello.

Huh, maybe. I always thought I was, I never could stand even tiniest bit of pulp of in my orange juice and the texture of Tofu makes me vomit.

I’ve never tried it in desserts-I figured that you couldn’t use it for things like Jello because it doesn’t have the same properties as milk, have any recipes?

I only use almond milk in my coffee, since that ws the only use I’ve ever had for milk. Hated it otherwise.

rav3n

Huh, maybe. I always thought I was, I never could stand even tiniest bit of pulp of in my orange juice and the texture of Tofu makes me vomit.

I’ve never tried it in desserts-I figured that you couldn’t use it for things like Jello because it doesn’t have the same properties as milk, have any recipes?

I only use almond milk in my coffee, since that ws the only use I’ve ever had for milk. Hated it otherwise.
It's a chinese dessert that uses agar agar powder, not gelatin. It's insanely simple to make but does take a bit to perfect since different agar agar products can produce slightly different results. Also, all measurements are approximate since I don't bother measuring.

• Heat 3.5 cups of water to boiling.
  • Stir approximately 1/16th of a cup of pure, refined agar agar powder (telephone brand is the best if you can get it) into 1/2 cup of cold water and dump into boiling water. Randomly stir until all the powder has dissolved.
  • Add preferred amount of sugar (I use around 1/4 c but people sometimes complain it's not sweet enough), bring back to boil, drop temp to med-high and stir when necessary until sugar's dissolved.
  • Remove from heat and add 3/4 c of milk (almond or lactose free 1 - 2% which is the one I use since it's not gritty and is richer than almond milk) and slightly below a tbsp of pure almond extract (if using imitation, use a tbsp or slightly more).
  • Stir, pour into jelly roll pan with lip to cool off in the open air, then put it in the fridge to chill for a few hours. Once chilled, cut into squares and add chilled canned fruit cocktail or fresh/canned fruit of your choice. Don't use citrus fruits since citrus flavor isn't complementary with almond extract.

If you chose to use traditional sticks of agar agar, use a lot and ensure that the sticks are fully dissolved and if not, with the odd strand floating around, use a fine sieve to remove the floaters.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
It's a chinese dessert that uses agar agar powder, not gelatin. It's insanely simple to make but does take a bit to perfect since different agar agar products can produce slightly different results. Also, all measurements are approximate since I don't bother measuring.

• Heat 3.5 cups of water to boiling.
  • Stir approximately 1/16th of a cup of pure, refined agar agar powder (telephone brand is the best if you can get it) into 1/2 cup of cold water and dump into boiling water. Randomly stir until all the powder has dissolved.
  • Add preferred amount of sugar (I use around 1/4 c but people sometimes complain it's not sweet enough), bring back to boil, drop temp to med-high and stir when necessary until sugar's dissolved.
  • Remove from heat and add 3/4 c of milk (almond or lactose free 1 - 2% which is the one I use since it's not gritty and is richer than almond milk) and slightly below a tbsp of pure almond extract (if using imitation, use a tbsp or slightly more).
  • Stir, pour into jelly roll pan with lip to cool off in the open air, then put it in the fridge to chill for a few hours. Once chilled, cut into squares and add chilled canned fruit cocktail or fresh/canned fruit of your choice. Don't use citrus fruits since citrus flavor isn't complementary with almond extract.

If you chose to use traditional sticks of agar agar, use a lot and ensure that the sticks are fully dissolved and if not, with the odd strand floating around, use a fine sieve to remove the floaters.

Thanks!
Going grecery shopping later will pick up some of this ager ager.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I’ve never had grit in my store-brand almond milk. Nor in the ciffee shops I go to. I like.
And no, I’m not about to buy $8 “ organic” “ hand crafted” “ free range” crap.

I’m going to get some cheese cloth and try again.

let me know how it goes with the cheese cloth, super curious.

i always like the idea of doing this stuff myself and then i see: oh almond milk on sale. *purchase*

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
let me know how it goes with the cheese cloth, super curious.

i always like the idea of doing this stuff myself and then i see: oh almond milk on sale. *purchase*

It is pricey though. And between my hus and and I we go through through several cartoons in a week.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
While I was playing with Vitamix I found a recipe for tomato soup.

Of course I added somethings because I can't NOT do that. It was not very good as "soup"; it wasn't very creamy. But since I can't have diary there is not much ican do about that.

But it amazing a base for any sort of tomato sauce.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
While I was playing with Vitamix I found a recipe for tomato soup.

Of course I added somethings because I can't NOT do that. It was not very good as "soup"; it wasn't very creamy. But since I can't have diary there is not much ican do about that.

But it amazing a base for any sort of tomato sauce.

I have the best tomato soup recipe ever and I use my vitamix to blend it. No dairy. I’ll find it and post it when I’m up :).

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=29849]Yuu[/MENTION] on phone so formatting may be terrible. If you’re gluten free then you could try substituting GF bread or going without. I’ve made it without the bread and I added slightly less of the chicken stock. A bit thinner but not too watery and still delicious, budget friendly, and healthy.

Cooks illustrated:

INGREDIENTS
Print Shopping List
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 medium onion, chopped medium (about 1 cup)
3 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 tablespoon)
pinch hot red pepper flakes (optional)
1 bay leaf
2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes packed in juice
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 large slices good-quality sandwich bread, crusts removed, torn into 1-inch pieces
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons brandy (optional)
Salt and ground black pepper
¼ cup chopped fresh chives

INSTRUCTIONS
SERVES 6 TO 8
If half of the soup fills your blender by more than two-thirds, process the soup in three batches. You can also use an immersion blender to process the soup directly in the pot. For an even smoother soup, pass the pureed mixture through a fine-mesh strainer before stirring in the chicken broth in step 2. Serve this soup with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches for a Crowd or topped with Butter Croutons.
1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion, garlic, red pepper flakes (if using), and bay leaf. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and their juice. Using potato masher, mash until no pieces bigger than 2 inches remain. Stir in sugar and bread; bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until bread is completely saturated and starts to break down, about 5 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf.
2. Transfer half of soup to blender. Add 1 tablespoon oil and process until soup is smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to large bowl and repeat with remaining soup and oil. Rinse out Dutch oven and return soup to pot. Stir in chicken broth and brandy (if using). Return soup to boil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve soup in individual bowls. Sprinkle each portion with pepper and chives and drizzle with olive oil.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Paella with quinoa ( instead of rice)

Paella is not nearly as complicated as many people think. But it is time-consuming.

I am farfrom a “ health nut” but I genuinly like quinoa. It has more flavor than rice

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Paella with quinoa ( instead of rice)

Paella is not nearly as complicated as many people think. But it is time-consuming.

I am farfrom a “ health nut” but I genuinly like quinoa. It has more flavor than rice

I love paella but I never make it because it ends up being so expensive.

rav3n

People, where are the photos?
Food shots are a pain in the ass since they require plating and shot setup. But here are a couple from the past.

Egg and avocado toast

attachment.php

Bacon wrapped pork chops

attachment.php

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
People, where are the photos?

I feel like that is a downward spiral into hipsterism from whence there is no return.

Coffee. I made coffee because we were out all day I didn't have to make a thing. It was pretty great.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Pesto.
20190309_170856.jpg

For a pizza we're making later. It's gonna have pesto,tomato,spinach,blend of pasta topping cheese,fresh mozzarella,and ricotta

Ungrilles ready to be grilled
20190309_185637.jpg

Final product
20190309_195943.jpg

Last edited:

badatlife

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Today was a cheat day...made the recipe I posted a couple pages ago. so good!

cfbKTEs.jpg

xB7Rxtg.jpg

Kas

Fabula rasa
I feel like that is a downward spiral into hipsterism from whence there is no return.

Coffee. I made coffee because we were out all day I didn't have to make a thing. It was pretty great.

Seriously? I am just not really able to say whether I want to eat something before I see it. You can imagine me looking at other people plates in restaurant :mellow:

Anyway I like how the number of pictures increased...

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Today was a cheat day...made the recipe I posted a couple pages ago. so good!

cfbKTEs.jpg

xB7Rxtg.jpg

I actually made something very similar yesterday, but didn’t really like it
I hope you enjoyed yours ^_^

badatlife

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I actually made something very similar yesterday, but didn’t really like it
I hope you enjoyed yours ^_^

kraft doesn't count :p

to be fair, i have the palette of a 5 year old. i could live off of pasta and cheese forever. i hate spice. so maybe i'm not the best resource when it comes to food...