User Tag List

Page 114 of 227 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164214 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 2265

Thread: What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

The never-ending quest for perfect pizza at home continues. I put a piece of terra cotta tile on the floor of my oven in place of a pizza stone ($1.77 vs. $30.00) and surrounded it with firebrick to mimic a brick pizza oven.

The first result was a misshapen and partially burned (but delicious) margherita pizza. After realizing I didn't put enough semolina on my peel, the second attempt went much better. Bacon and brussels sprouts pizza:

Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

^^

OH. MY.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    The never-ending quest for perfect pizza at home continues. I put a piece of terra cotta tile on the floor of my oven in place of a pizza stone ($1.77 vs. $30.00) and surrounded it with firebrick to mimic a brick pizza oven.

The first result was a misshapen and partially burned (but delicious) margherita pizza. After realizing I didn't put enough semolina on my peel, the second attempt went much better. Bacon and brussels sprouts pizza:

That is awesome! I went looking for terra cotta for same purpose, haven't found yet. Your pizza looks great. Did you have the oven really hot? Was your terra cotta sitting on the element or not?
    "It's never enough." The Cure

Quote Originally Posted by NotOfTwo View Post
    That is awesome! I went looking for terra cotta for same purpose, haven't found yet. Your pizza looks great. Did you have the oven really hot? Was your terra cotta sitting on the element or not?
    Thanks! Actually, my terra cotta cracked when I tried again the next night. If you're going to get a substitute for a pizza stone, the stuff to get is called unglazed quarry tile. It should be available at your local Home Depot or Lowe's. That's what I'm going to try next. If you want to try the bricks, make sure you get firebrick. It's designed to build chimneys, so it's resistant to heat. If you try to use regular bricks they may crack or even explode inside your oven. Firebrick is not usually available at Home Depot but you can usually get it at builder's supply yards. I used four straights (full bricks) for the sides and six splits (half thickness bricks) for the top. The straights would be too heavy for the top, if you look you can even see that my rack is bowing under the splits. To answer your question, I have a gas oven so there is no element on the bottom...I just laid the tile right on the oven floor. I just made sure not to cover the vents on the sides of the oven floor.

As for temperature, turn your oven up the hottest it will go (mine is 550) and let it preheat for a half hour with a stone and a full hour if you're using the firebrick as well. If you do that, your pizzas should cook REAL quick...the one above was five minutes and you can see it was already starting to char. That's what the firebrick does, it uses reflective heat like in pizza ovens and gets it hotter.

Johari
    /Nohari

BTW - the dough recipe, which you can see here, is FANTASTIC. It seems like a laborious process, but it's mostly a lot of waiting, and the end product is the best I've ever had from a home oven. It comes from the Mozza Cookbook, which is equally fantastic.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ISFP

Cat food. I switched my cat over to homemade mostly raw food. Will post photos tomorrow.

A mixture of chicken thighs and beef liver baked until half cooked through and processed with vitamins, eggs, bone meal powder (would prefer using fresh ground bone but have to wait on purchasing a meat grinder), iodized salt, probiotic powder, and fish oil. I've been freezing individual portions in an ice cube tray and microwaving a bit to defrost before feeding it to him. He definitely prefers fresh though. Appetizing, no?

He seems to be doing well with the switch although I had to gradually work him over to eating all homemade as he was really addicted to dry kibble. I've noticed he seems to have more energy and his skin is improving.
    Last edited by Pinker85; 02-25-2012 at 12:50 AM.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Homemade pasta (made tortellini), filled with a butternut squash+ricotta+mozzarella+thyme+parsley filling, with a balsamic vinegar+dijon mustard+honey+water+butter+dried cherries sauce. A very sweet pasta dish, but quite tasty.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Homemade pasta (made tortellini), filled with a butternut squash+ricotta+mozzarella+thyme+parsley filling, with a balsamic vinegar+dijon mustard+honey+water+butter+dried cherries sauce. A very sweet pasta dish, but quite tasty.
    I want to eat to there. </Liz Lemon>
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    This sounds great.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Pinker85 View Post
    Cat food. I switched my cat over to homemade mostly raw food. Will post photos tomorrow.

icky, I hope your cat appreciates you.