• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

Kas

Fabula rasa
I'm making for the first time bread leaven. This morning I thought it's dead:( , but now there are bubbles, so maybe there is a chance...

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm making a peach cobbler later with the peaches my mom and I got at the farmer's market this week. I'm SO excited. I'll be buying Tillamook Vanilla Bean ice cream to go with it. :wubbie: :drool:
How about a Parks and Rec themed dessert? Waffle calzones with peach filling? :D

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Golden Northern Cornbread recipe from Cooks Illustrated. I thought it'd be better; it's not bad but it's not great either. I like the crumbly texture, but there isn't much flavor. I might try their Irish Soda Bread recipe next.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I don't feel good about the Irish Soda bread. The batter was very moist, so I put a lot of flour on the cutting board and kneaded much of the flour into the dough and now the dough has lots of large cracks in it. It's in the oven now.

Update: It turned out good. A bit salty, it's got a slightly crunchy crust and chewy texture.

I'll try making some beer bread next week.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm making some roasted corn salad for a family barbecue tonight. I kind of based it on Mexican street corn. You know the kind, with lime and chili powder and mayo. Except this salad will have also have black beans, cherry tomatoes, sweet onion, avocado, and Cotija cheese.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ConfederateFlagCake.jpg

Turned out pretty good...what do you guys think? Hope it tastes as good as I think it will, used real cream in the icing.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Made a leftovers frittata this morning, with green peppers, onion, broccoli, and cheddar cheese. Should be a good breakfast for the next few days.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Made a leftovers frittata this morning, with green peppers, onion, broccoli, and cheddar cheese. Should be a good breakfast for the next few days.

Mmm sounds good:)

Not today, but yesterday. I made a layer cake - cocoa sponge cake, cream (mascarpone+ whipped cream), blackcurrant jam and fresh fruits.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Made a cherry and walnut coffee cake today. Sorry, no photos. No samples, either.

á´…eparted

passages
This was almost to the point where I couldn't eat it (super spicy) but I did and it was DIVINE. When I cook, I cook :D.

Ingriedents sans butter and oil (forgot to include them in the picture):

lX70A0E.jpg

mise en place:

wmOhT4l.jpg

FOOOOOOD:

RpPI5j8.jpg

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ YUM.

Recipe plz?

á´…eparted

passages
^ YUM.

Recipe plz?

I've changed it slightly from a website I got it from a long time ago. Partly because that listed very hard to find ingridents. It takes a decent amount of time to prep and make but it's so worth it. This is enough for 2 people, but I eat like a pig and can almost eat all of it. In my experience it isn't that great next day, but isn't bad. This is how I do it:

1 tsp brown sugar
2 tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tbsp water
1/4 cup oyster sauce
1 1/2 tbsp flour
1 tsp white pepper
1 large/jumbo yellow onion
4 cloves of garlic (I really like garlic so this is a lot, 2-3 would be normal)
1 bundle green onions
5 habaneros (this will make it INSANELY spicy. My friends couldn't handle 1/2 of that. 1/2 of one should be good for a tiny bit of heat).
1 cup cashews
1/2 tsp sessemee oil
1 1/2 cup vegatable oil
3/4 - 1 lb chicken breast or tenders
1/2 cup jasmine rice (any rice will do, I just love jasmine)
2 tbsp butter (for rice, makes it richer, cause butter makes everything better!)

To a cup, add brown sugar, sugar, soy sauce, water, and oyster sauce. Stir to dissolve and combine, then set aside.

To a medium bowl, add flour and white pepper, shake bowl to mix, and set aside.

Measure 1 cup of whole or halfed cashews, and set aside (resist the urge to snack!)

In a garlic press, crush peeled garlic into a dish, and set aside.

Chop green onions stalks 3/4ths of the way down the bunch into 1 inch pieces. Place in a cup and set aside.

Chop onion into large ish pieces, with an area of about 1-2 inches. Do not finely chop or mince. Place in a bowl and set aside.

Chop habrenros into 1/3 cm ribbons, place in a dish and set aside. Make sure to wash hands immediately after handling.

Cut chicken breasts or tenders thinly (apx 1/2 - 1 centimeter thick), and pieces no longer than 1 1/2 inches long on the longest length. Place cut chicken into the bowl containing flour and white pepper mixture, toss chicken to coat as evenly as possible. If the chicken is very wet the flour may become sticky (this is ok). Remove any excess unstuck flower mixture from the bowl, then place the bowl in the fridge while not in use.

Take a large wok, and fill with vegetable oil. Turn to medium high heat (apx 8 out of 10 scale) and allow oil to heat for several minutes. Make sure all ingredients are near by. Then, add cashews to the hot oil and stir/move with a spatula for apx. 30 seconds, or until the cashews darken to a golden brown. If there is a burning smell, dump oil and cashews and start fresh. This means the oil was too hot and the fat and protein burned (some stoves can get too hot at this step). Using a wire spider, remove cashews and place on a paper towel covered plate to drain. Place the wok back on the burner and add habaneros. Constantly move the habaneros in oil with a spatula for 1 minute, or until the edges of the habaneros char; whichever comes first. With the wire spider, remove habraneros with the wire spider and place with cashews. Place wok on the burner, and add the chicken to the oil carefully. With the spatula constantly move the chicken to split up and cook for apx 1 minute, or until pink is barely no longer visible on 90% of the pieces. With a wire spider, remove chicken and place with the cashews and habaneros.

Remove apx. 3 tbsp of the used oil from the wok and place into a dish. Dump the rest of the oil down the drain (it should be cool enough to not splatter, nor clog). Take the 3 tbsp of oil, place in the wok and return to heat at setting 8/10. Quickly add the minced garlic in one shot, quickly move around in oil for no more than 3 seconds (the garlic could burn and it will ruin the oil. Then, add the chopped onions and stir around for 20 seconds. Then add the chicken, cashews, and habaneros at once and mix together in wok. Turn the heat to max. After 30 seconds, add the sauce (mixture of sugars, liquids, and oyster sauce), and stirfry until the sauce reduces down, apx. 2-5 minutes. Cook until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F (measured with digital thermometer), and until sauce is reduced to mostly oil content. The chicken may reach temperature before this, and that is ok.

Turn off the heat and continue stirring for 1 minute. Then, add green onions, and 1/2 tsp of sesemee oil, and stir to evenly combine. Place rice on a plate and scoop out stirfry on top of the rice. Sprinkle a small amount of white pepper to the surface to taste.

Eat and enjoy!

If I made any typos or something is unclear let me know.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] Have you ever tried cooking with Thai red curry paste? It's hella spicy, and it has an amazing flavor. You can get it in the Asian food section of most grocery stores. I know they have it at Fred Meyer.

á´…eparted

passages
[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] Have you ever tried cooking with Thai red curry paste? It's hella spicy, and it has an amazing flavor. You can get it in the Asian food section of most grocery stores. I know they have it at Fred Meyer.

I haven't. I've never made a curry before. I like curry, but I have to be in the mood for it. I don't think it would fit with the flavor for this dish, but if I come across another stirfry that looks good I'll see if I can include it :D.

Earlier this year I extracted a bunch of pure capsaicin in the lab and actually used it in cooking. THAT was hot.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I haven't. I've never made a curry before. I like curry, but I have to be in the mood for it. I don't think it would fit with the flavor for this dish, but if I come across another stirfry that looks good I'll see if I can include it :D.
Yeah, it might not work for that particular recipe. It goes really well with chicken, bell peppers, bamboo shoots, etc. And it complements any dish with coconut milk in it.

Earlier this year I extracted a bunch of pure capsaicin in the lab and actually used it in cooking. THAT was hot.
Awwww damn. You crazy. My stepdad got some capsaicin. I guess it really helped clear his sinuses. :laugh: