• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Preserving Bodies

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Spider bodies, not human bodies.

There is this Sun Spider in my yard that I am waiting patiently for to die, but once it dies, I have no idea how I am going to preserve it. If I can't figure it out, I will probably just dissect it, because I think that would be cool, even though I am mildly terrified of spiders.

Any ideas on preserving it?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Household stuff.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Isopropyl alcohol (Rubbing alcohol). Preferably the 90% solution. Don't know where you live but they probably have it at a drug store.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I do have rubbing alcohol. Will this work if the spider has died?

I read about killing it by placing it in the fridge, but I don't want to kill it.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Yes. Dead, alive, doesn't matter.

Unless it's squashed. Or been dead for a long enough time to start being eaten by others. In which case you should find another victim. :)

You may find after a while some of the color bleeds away. But unless you get it into some sort of solid preservative(like those bugs in glass or plastic paperweights, or amber), it's unavoidable.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alright, thanks :)

I will just keep finding specimens. I am very interested in spiders, and all the other kinds of animals and their workings.

How do I use rubbing alcohol to preserve it? Just put it in a jar or something with it?

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Alright, thanks :)

I will just keep finding specimens. I am very interested in spiders, and all the other kinds of animals and their workings.

How do I use rubbing alcohol to preserve it? Just put it in a jar or something with it?

You and me both dear. Although I prefer to observe while still alive.

Yup, just like the worm in a bottle of tequila. Drop that sucker in there, and make fishy eyes at it. Just make sure it has a lid, that stuff burns when it gets in your eyes. :D

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You and me both dear. Although I prefer to observe while still alive.

Yup, just like the worm in a bottle of tequila.
Drop that sucker in there, and make fishy eyes at it. Just make sure it has a lid, that stuff burns when it gets in your eyes. :D

I would so not eat a spider in rubbing alcohol!

Yeah, I prefer them living. They used to always live in my window, but for some reason they stopped. But it is going to die, so I may as well make use of it.

I like other animals too. I saved a praying mantis from Inside My Window last night (I have decided to capitalize Inside My Window, because it is like its own world haha) even though I am mildly worried about touching them.

All I used was tongs, tweezers to remove web, and old mayonnaise jar I used for paint water, and superior improvisation skills :D

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Tongs?

Were you wearing Level 4 biohazard gear as well?

Otherwise you did well. :D

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
0083.jpg

I had to look up what a sun spider was. I've always heard them called camel spiders.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That isn't a sun spider. I don't live in the west, I live in the east.

blackandyellowspider3.jpg

I should have said yellow and black spider or something. It is typically called a garden spider or sun spider where I live.

Tongs?

Were you wearing Level 4 biohazard gear as well?

Otherwise you did well. :D

I had to think fast haha

I would diagram my window but I am much, much too lazy. It required something of the highest caliber :)

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh I know! Mummify them! I heard the ancient egyptians used to mummify animals all the time!

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How on earth would I mummify a spider?!