User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Male Homemakers

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default Male Homemakers

I see nothing wrong with a man choosing to stay home and take care of the kids while the wife holds the job. Whatever works for the family is best, and society shouldn't dictate or even imply what's the best situation for a family. A lot of guys think it isn't "manly" if they don't make most if not all the household income. Stay-at-home dads are really looked down upon by their peers in today's society, and it's wrong.

So what do you think of the idea? Would you be a stay at home dad if you had the choice?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    YaYa

I think a guy could do it but he'd have to have outside projects like working on a boat outside or adding an addition to the house, re-tiling the bathroom.

Women can get away with doing just the kids/housework.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    I think a guy could do it but he'd have to have outside projects like working on a boat outside or adding an addition to the house, re-tiling the bathroom.

I don't really understand what you mean by that...I think stay at home moms would also have outside projects...

Anyway, to the OP, I wouldn't have a problem with being the bread winner and having the man tend to the home if that's how it worked out for us.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Phantonym

I think this is a great idea as long as both parents are Ok with this and it doesn't become too extreme. Whether it's the wife or the husband, it doesn't matter. I wouldn't mind my husband staying at home and I wouldn't lose any respect for him if he wanted to stay at home. But still, the best would be both parents involved in raising their children and still being able to pursue their career but not at the expense of themselves or their children.

I admit that this is the extreme way, but I've seen too many times that it ends up like this that the parent who is the sole breadwinner of the family is always working and sees their children mostly on weekends. I don't agree with this at all. I don't think that this is beneficial to the society when either of the parents is less involved in the children's life, they're lacking the attention of one parent when it is, in fact, very much needed.

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post

Hmm. You could be right. Housewives might be more accepted because of the past "acceptable" role of women but being a househusband is seen as something lacking, the man is seen as a failure for not being the breadwinner. A househusband is considered as a weak link in the society merely because the role of men in the past. They feel pressured to be considered as a "success".

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

It just tends not to work. If you follow the blogs of SAHDads they either end up divorced or going back to work after a few years. I'm sure it could work out in theory, but it tends to not pan out in reality when it's for-realz long term.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

What is the purpose of this link?

MBTI
    ENTJ

I agree with the OP in that I believe people/couples are free to didive their time and responsibilities in whatever way works for them. Absolutely no judgement. Personally, though, I don't think I could live with a house-husband. I just...wouldn't want it. it wouldn't work for me.

I know, right? Fuckin lazy women and their "just" kids/housework. Why won't they do some *hard* work??!
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't know how it works out in practice but in theory, I am for having a loving, competent relative or quasi-relative taking care of children whenever possible. Mom, dad, grandma, etc all fine as long as it works and all parties are reasonably happy with the arrangement.

Word to dads considering it: It's harder than it looks. Something about the job makes it a real morale sink. Since more women than men do it, it's easier for women to plug into a support network. Hopefully dads will have that someday, too.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    It just tends not to work. If you follow the blogs of SAHDads they either end up divorced or going back to work after a few years. I'm sure it could work out in theory, but it tends to not pan out in reality when it's for-realz long term.
    As opposed to how many couples where the mom is the stay at home parent or both parents are working? Marriage in general tends not to work if you look at the US population.

In the US, there are over 100,000 families that are making it work. In fact, it has become a norm in some other countries.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]