• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Restoring Hardwood Floors

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Any tips?

The flooring dates back to the mid-thirties, is grey-looking oak, about 3/4" thick and has been hidden under various carpets for nearly 70 years.

I propose to sand lighly, clean and use a polyeurathane varnish - as many coats as required. Beeswax is a possibility.

Replacing individual boards shouldn't be a problem.

Tips appreciated.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm in the midst of the same thing. We have relatively nice looking hardwood but it needs to be refinished. We pulled up carpeting, too.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
I suspect it's maple or native US type. Gonna do it room by room over the winter.

Finding the time is tricky. I may get a man in but I'd like to try out one room and see the results.

Cracks may be a problem or turn out to be nice features. There's various possibilities.

In my old flat I put down flooring, but a small leak turned out to be fatal. Wood+water=fail.

Usehername

On a mission
First of all you need a quality contractor. Make sure that the contractor specialized in the project you need done.

:huh:

was this a dupe account, or did the n00b manage to get banned for a rep or wall post or something seeing as how they only have 1 post?

Edit: nvmd--read his wall.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Shoot. I thought it was one of you guys having a laugh...

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Everything I know about treating wood floors I learned from my dad, who has done it in both of the houses my folks have lived in. In the first, the wood floors were there when we moved in but needed work. He did it room-by-room as you say, first sanding and then applying polyurethane. I think it makes some serious fumes so you'll either have to seal off the room you're working in for a few days or find another place to be each time, if you go that route.

If I were doing this myself, I'd probably go with a penetrating wax instead of a finish that sits atop the wood itself. I think you still have to seal the floor first.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Have you thought about oiling the floor?

Yeah. I saw a bar-owner in Spain a few years ago oil the bar with a mixture of olive oil and diesel. Very good results. Not sure it would be suited to flooring. More research.

... first sanding and then applying polyurethane. I think it makes some serious fumes so you'll either have to seal off the room you're working in for a few days or find another place to be each time, if you go that route.

If I were doing this myself, I'd probably go with a penetrating wax instead of a finish that sits atop the wood itself. I think you still have to seal the floor first.

You can get water-based polyurethane varnish. I'm inclined to go for this rather than beeswax. More research. Props to your dad. Two houses is good going. :)

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Why, Banana? Old worn looking hardwood is awesome, and you don't have to worry about messing it up with your stilettos.

(this is me, not having any useful advice, but liking worn hardwood)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That is why I (theoretically, without having done the research on what is more trouble to apply) favor a penetrating wax, because it preserves the antique look of old wood.

(Heh heh. Old wood.)

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yeah, Ivy, I agree. I hate those overly-smooth/shiny floors that pretty much just have a thick layer of glossy something or other applied over top of them. Ick.