User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    FIVE

Lightbulb Home Decorating/Designing/Furniture Help, Please!

So, the reason that I came here hours ago was to get advice on furniture arranging.

I live in a college apartment and I'm tired of it looking like frat boys live here. Our main living area is a long and awkward room (about 12 by 21). In this room, I need space for an entertainment center/couch (the wii needs a home)... two computer desks and a dining table.

Currently, we have everything in the room but it looks like a room that a bunch of crap was thrown into. The front door is on one end of the 21ft expanse and a sliding glass door is on the other (leads to a patio that we never use because it's an awkward space to walk through as is). Each side has a hallway leading to the kitchen and bedrooms. Because of all of the door ways, I have a hard time finding enough wall space.

Any ideas?

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

MBTI
    INTP

I like design to be built into the furniture and other necessary objects so I can maintain a minimalist lifestyle without feeling like I'm in a dreary prison cell or hospital. For example, having a desk with design work in the wood, or colorful/ornate tableware etc. Otherwise you end up buying worthless trinkets that clutter everything and collect dust.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    FIVE

Alwar, I agree. I am not really at the point where I do the "fancy stuff"... I need to figure out where to put the furniture. I get in these strange moods where I can paint but I can't figure out how to make the couch "go." My friends buy things that go on shelves and serve no purpose other than to look at... this is WAY beyond me... I'd probably be happy to move into one of those rooms on the Ikea show floor, except with windows and I can't live in 500sqft.

Poppy, I don't see anything on your post... it's just blank. If that was on purpose, I totally concur... I'm drawing a blank.

Quote Originally Posted by chasingAJ View Post
    So, the reason that I came here hours ago was to get advice on furniture arranging.

I live in a college apartment and I'm tired of it looking like frat boys live here. Our main living area is a long and awkward room (about 12 by 21). In this room, I need space for an entertainment center/couch (the wii needs a home)... two computer desks and a dining table.

Currently, we have everything in the room but it looks like a room that a bunch of crap was thrown into. The front door is on one end of the 21ft expanse and a sliding glass door is on the other (leads to a patio that we never use because it's an awkward space to walk through as is). Each side has a hallway leading to the kitchen and bedrooms. Because of all of the door ways, I have a hard time finding enough wall space.

Any ideas?
    It is hard to offer any concrete suggestions without knowing the exact location of the entry and doorways. However, I would suggest placing the TV and stuff as far away from the traffic areas as possible. Do you guys use the dining table? If you don't maybe you should move it elsewhere or re-purpose it. For example, I turned one of our old dining tables into a laptop docking area and set up a network for the printer and other stuff. Now our desktop and 3 laptops fit into an area which is about 8x12. Good luck to you!

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Dammit! The image location must have moved. It was there, I swear it! Fine, fickle internet, I will host it myself.

"There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Hey chasingAJ,

Is there any way you could draw a picture in MS Paint, save it as a JPEG, and attach it to a reply in this thread?

Just the general 2-dimensional view of the room, the doorways, approximate lengths of walls (use 3 of your feet for "2 real feet", something like that), windows, etc. would make it much easier for us creative-resourceful-this-old-house-Martha-Stewart-wanna-be types to help you.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

you can put the tv on the long wall and the couch dividing the dining and living space...dining room stuff on the other side and a couple chairs across from the couch and the coffee table in front of the couch...but...computer desks? damn...there's no room for that...can't they go in the bedroom or something? haha...sorry...
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

I don't know if this is the correct layout of the room. You need to leave the area that people see when they open the front door clear to give the appearance of space. Put the table next to the sliding door.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    FIVE

Sorry, I had to draw it to scale with a grid and it took some time. There are outlets on every wall and the cable comes into the house on the wall where the hall closet is.